The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    I didn't say I didn't want responses, J-Lu, but you kind of flew off the handle there so it made me wonder why. Are you and SV a team here or something?

Plenty of people with double digit IQs have BA degrees. I didn't realize it was sacrosanct.

Kathy s., have you kicked any puppies lately?
    Flew off the handle? I don't think so. You made fun of a degree in your zeal to insult SV. It seems to me that if you want to insult SV, you should leave the sweeping academic generalizations out of it because your statement makes zero sense. If you want to make sweeping statements in order to insult a particular person, well, you're responsible for the statement you make. So take responsibility for it! Geez. Seems like people on this and other threads think they can be hyperbolic and say whatever they want - even if untrue - and get upset when they get called on it. If you don't like someone's point of view, say so. But be honest and straight and real about it.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

2 members found this post helpful.

Sorry, Kathy, just a little irony there because you seem to be accused of being hateful. It was tongue in cheek and I meant no offense.
    No problem. I just misunderstood. I really don't kick puppies, lol. I DO call my reps and tend to be a PITA on a weekly basis.
    It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    Flew off the handle? I don't think so. You made fun of a degree in your zeal to insult SV. It seems to me that if you want to insult SV, you should leave the sweeping academic generalizations out of it because your statement makes zero sense. If you want to make sweeping statements in order to insult a particular person, well, you're responsible for the statement you make. So take responsibility for it! Geez. Seems like people on this and other threads think they can be hyperbolic and say whatever they want - even if untrue - and get upset when they get called on it. If you don't like someone's point of view, say so. But be honest and straight and real about it.
    No, actually making fun of the degree was directly relevant to making fun of the poster. And for that I take full responsibility.

And, yes, I can say whatever I want. And I am not in the least upset about it. I am actually quite amused.

Honest and straight? Pffft! Take a look again at the title of this thread. Would a reasonable person expect a reasonable discussion under that? Be honest and straight now.

4 members found this post helpful.

No, actually making fun of the degree was directly relevant to making fun of the poster. And for that I take full responsibility.

And, yes, I can say whatever I want. And I am not in the least upset about it. I am actually quite amused.

Honest and straight? Pffft! Take a look again at the title of this thread. Would a reasonable person expect a reasonable discussion under that? Be honest and straight now.
    So you admit, you'll make fun of an entire group of people who hold a degree in order to insult a specific person on CoTH that you disagree with. You need to take responsibility for that choice, and I'm sad that you're amused by making fun of people in order to target one person who you don't agree with. As you know, the title of this thread came from another poster who accused the majority of Americans as being Communist (which is irrational and bizzare, since we are not a communist country). I always present an honest and straight point of view, no matter what bulletin board I'm on. You don't? Thanks for the heads up. I'd much rather talk with honest and straightforward posters - those playing games aren't worth the time. Thanks!

3 members found this post helpful.

LarkspurCO, I actually laughed re. your BA comment because in another thread, SV tried to put me down and tell me how I needed to educate myself. And then she brags in this thread about having a BA. Umm, so do I - from a pretty damn good private liberal arts college, at that.

The way she looked down her elitist nose at me you'd have thought she had a Phd in her field. I didn't bother to respond to her in the other thread because some people can't have a decent debate about ideas without resulting to insults. Makes replying a pointless exercise.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

7 members found this post helpful.

I think the never ending off topic days have ramped up the nastiness on COTH. Mods, can' we go back to one day of Off Topic for a holiday and then shut it down? This is just absurd.

When did COTH turn into the Mean Girls(and Guys) Club?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    So that is exactly what I was saying. Why disagree with me? Both governments and cops should work for common cause, which is the welfare of citizens, and supported by the citizens. They are not the same entity. They are two entities working for the same common cause. If they were the same entity, they would be working for each other, and not for the common cause: citizens.

If you study tyranny in all histories of all countries, you will see that the law enforcements are, and work for the governments, and not for the citizen. In those societies, they are the same entity.
    I disagree. Of course, I can only speak for the state in which I currently live, but in this location, if you want a city police job, then you apply at the city government website. You are a city employee. If you want to be a state trooper, then you apply at the state government website. You are a state employee. County sheriffs are elected by county residents.

Law enforcement officers, at every level, are very much part of the government.

So you admit, you'll make fun of an entire group of people who hold a degree in order to insult a specific person on CoTH that you disagree with.
    Yes, I think that should be fairly obvious by now. Some of the smartest people I know have never been to college and some of the most ignorant have diplomas on their walls. I'm more impressed by people who are able to read and learn and draw informed conclusions based on reason, logic and life experiences.

You need to take responsibility for that choice, and I'm sad that you're amused by making fun of people in order to target one person who you don't agree with.
    Actually, I don't "need to take responsibility" (whatever that means). I don't need to do anything at all. Somehow you will just have to find a way to deal with it. Maybe calling the thread police would make you feel better?

I always present an honest and straight point of view, no matter what bulletin board I'm on.
    Well, bully for you!

You don't?
    Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It just depends on my mood and on the nature of the thread. If the tone of the thread is absurd or sarcastic or tongue-in-cheek, I might respond in kind and enjoy a moment of levity. If it suits my fancy.

Thanks for the heads up. I'd much rather talk with honest and straightforward posters - those playing games aren't worth the time. Thanks!
    No problem. It has been a pleasure.

Some of you people are just so nasty. I am very glad I do not know you in real life, and have the option of ignoring you on here.

Seems like off topic days really make some of you behave in a very ugly manner

So, if I am following this, regardless of whether you work at the municipal, county, state or federal level, you are a government worker. You might be a lawmaker, a law enforcer, a lineman for the power company or a smoke jumper, but you ARE the government. We can like certain elements of "the government" and dislike others (DMV). We can see certain roles of the government as legitimate and others as not. It does pose interesting questions,i.e., the same "government" that pays the prosecutor's salary pays the public defender's as well. Or, as my clients point out, the same government that sent them to war also runs the health agency they go to for medical care. I do get amused by people who "hate government" but are not really enthused about going out at 2am to work on the power lines (they expect my husband and the linemen to do it though!). I didn't read the whole thread but you can sure be a happy, productive government worker without any kind of college degree!

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I think the never ending off topic days have ramped up the nastiness on COTH. Mods, can' we go back to one day of Off Topic for a holiday and then shut it down? This is just absurd.

When did COTH turn into the Mean Girls(and Guys) Club?
    Your kidding, right?
    It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

This thread is the perfect illustration of what is wrong with America at this exact moment. Has it ever occurred to the US that keeping us fighting over socially divisive issues is just a means to an end? I'm not much of a conspiracy buff, but there are groups both political and financial that would love to see us go down in a bitter feuding mess just to pick over the leftovers or get legislation passed while we're distracted with other stuff. I mean look at Monsanto for example, a bill which was sponsored anonymously and now protects their corporate interests passed, yet had almost no public support. What does that tell you?

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoonlady View Post
    This thread is the perfect illustration of what is wrong with America at this exact moment. Has it ever occurred to the US that keeping us fighting over socially divisive issues is just a means to an end? I'm not much of a conspiracy buff, but there are groups both political and financial that would love to see us go down in a bitter feuding mess just to pick over the leftovers or get legislation passed while we're distracted with other stuff. I mean look at Monsanto for example, a bill which was sponsored anonymously and now protects their corporate interests passed, yet had almost no public support. What does that tell you?

I totally agree with you. I believe, and have stated so on this BB, that the politicians strive to turn us against each other thus, don't pay attention to what they're doing in D.C. And you are correct about the Monsanto legislation. I made calls and signed petitions to protest that bill but as you pointed out, people are distracted by other things, most of it trivial.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Looks like Kathy S chose the red pill over the blue.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Making fun of a BA degree on a public board invited rational response. If you really didn't want responses about your comments of what a BA degree is, you should have PMed her. But you chose to publically post your opinion. I commented on your opinion because this is a public board and I found your denigration of the BA degree ridiculous. That's what it is to me.
    Interesting. In other threads much was said disparaging the college degrees (BA, BS and Masters) earned by Sarah Palin, George W. Bush and M.Bachman amongst others. So either all college degrees should be respected or all are open for dispute.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    Interesting. In other threads much was said disparaging the college degrees (BA, BS and Masters) earned by Sarah Palin, George W. Bush and M.Bachman amongst others. So either all college degrees should be respected or all are open for dispute.
    Good point.

Fooler, larkspurCO, kathy s, gloria, you all are a few french fries short of a happy meal. "in other threads" in your dreams and delusions.....You people really are amazing to live for the OTD on COTH. Attempting to make a connection to a rude comment from larkspurCO to anything stated 5 years ago........well delusion is free...
    Last edited by stolen virtue; Apr. 22, 2013 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    I usually try to avoid the political threads because a small handful of posters, who generally make all of their posts on Off Topic Day political threads, are here to argue and not make any constructive point. It becomes a pointless argument. My points have to do with *this* thread, so lets keep comments to *this* thread and the posters here.

Larkspur, I'm sorry, but you're missing the point. Adults here do need to take responsibility for what they post and that includes you. I know I don't have to explain that to you. Bringing up people you know who were successful without college degrees does not negate your immature comments about a particular college degree. The two don't even relate! You admit that you don't post in a straightforward and honest way because it depends on the mood you're in? Really? Is the conversation here just a game to you? Why bother posting at all? Is this a form of entertainment for you?

Larkspur, I'm sorry, but you're missing the point. Adults here do need to take responsibility for what they post and that includes you. I know I don't have to explain that to you. Bringing up people you know who were successful without college degrees does not negate your immature comments about a particular college degree. The two don't even relate! You admit that you don't post in a straightforward and honest way because it depends on the mood you're in? Really? Is the conversation here just a game to you? Why bother posting at all? Is this a form of entertainment for you?
    Yes, this is a form of entertainment and as such it has exceeded my expectations, mostly thanks to your obsession about the college degree. That and whatever stolen virtue has been smoking.

And yes, I adapt my social interactions to the mood and the setting I am in (shocking notion, isn't it?) For example, I don't laugh and tell jokes at funerals. I do laugh and tell jokes at parties. I don't drink beer and whistle during job interviews. I do drink beer and whistle during baseball games.