The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question about "gourmet" coffee? Or IOW, "can we use Folger's in our Keurig K-cup?"

After extensive googling , I was unable to find a definitive answer to this...

(We received a Keurig single-cup coffee maker as a gift--love it!, and have been using the individual little coffees instead of putting ground coffee in the K-cup, but this is getting $$!)

They seem to recommend using "only gourmet coffee", but this is also $$.

Is gourmet coffee simply a finer grind? And if we use our ordinary Folgers in a can, would the resulting coffee wind up being "weak brown tea"?

And if so, does anyone want 5 lbs. of Folgers?
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    After extensive googling , I was unable to find a definitive answer to this...

(We received a Keurig single-cup coffee maker as a gift--love it!, and have been using the individual little coffees instead of putting ground coffee in the K-cup, but this is getting $$!)

They seem to recommend using "only gourmet coffee", but this is also $$.

Is gourmet coffee simply a finer grind? And if we use our ordinary Folgers in a can, would the resulting coffee wind up being "weak brown tea"?

And if so, does anyone want 5 lbs. of Folgers?
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA

yes, you can use Folgers or Maxwell in your Keurig.
    I currently am doing just that, because even if I gt it on sale, we are talking 50 cents a cup and up.
    I bought the insert with the reusable filter, so I fill it with my regular coffee (BTW, you can use the ground goumet coffee as well in this manner). the cleaning in between is a bit of a pain, but you can also buy ez cups, little filters to be used with the machine, so you don't have to clean the reusable filter cup every round.

You just have to use a bit more of the cheap coffee (or am I just used to thin coffee?) I put about a scoop (1/8th cup) into the little filter, sometimes I top it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I don't use the K-cups anymore...way too many $$$$$. I just use a decent brand of coffee, more finely ground does seem to work better. Right now, Seattle's Best was on sale for $5.99 per 12 oz (when did that happen...it used to be a full pound). Anyway, I like it just as well as the K-cups.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Thanks folks!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

You can buy reusable inserts.

"Gourmet" quality is usually a better roast, not so much the grind (grind is about what kind of machine you use, not the beans. Things like a French press need a different grind than, say, an espresso machine.) Or beans from one particular areas (yes, Jamaican coffee or Kona coffee really does taste better.) Coffee's like Maxwell House and Folger's, if you buy things like dark roasts, are pretty good. It's not really about the "gourmet" level, it's more about not clogging the filter with a grind that's too coarse or too fine.

Heck, I use teas in my reusable K-cup if I want a tea in 30 sec and have no time for steeping.
    (It is weak, sure, but eh).