The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sometimes you just get smacked back to reality...

This is mostly a vent, I have no questions, I really don't need any support.

My mother was diagnosed with type I Diabetes at the age of 11, she is 53 as of yesterday. She dealt with all the typical ups and downs of a teenager, as I'm told, weight gain was a small part of it. At 22 she decided that because she was type I and she had a little extra weight she would join Jazzercise - and that started the near obsession with exercise that continues today. At 23-24 she was told she most likely would not be able to conceive, but at 25 she gave birth to me. I nearly cost her her life, and eyesight, but I was her miracle baby. A year after my birth she miscarried what would have been her second child, a boy, and then she decided with my Dad that I would be an only child.

Growing up, my mom was my best friend, being a type A personality, she loved entertaining my friends. She would throw me the most amazing birthday parties, I'm talking better than any party planner could throw. When I would be going to bed at night she would yell from down the hall "you are my sunshine, my only sunshine!"

She loved to garden, in fact next to exercise, gardening was her favorite thing. Anything active such as biking, rollerblading, walking the dogs, etc. She had such a vibrancy for life that I could just never match. She was also a nurse, she worked in the maternity ward and she did all the care of the babies after they were born.

When I was 11 and she was 36, she had to "retire" from nursing due to her eyesight failing. She started getting floaters in her eyes, and literally after years of having them removed, she resigned to the fact that she couldn't do her job properly anymore. A person with such zest for life, couldn't do something she loved anymore. And that was just the start.

While not completely blind, her eyesight just continued to be a non stop nuisance. Then, she broke her foot. A stress fracture. She was in a boot for a year, then the other one broke - another stress fracture. Her circulation wasn't very good in her feet and the healing was a long process. She was never a candidate for a cast, so it was always boots. Pictures of my teenage years always show my mom in a boot of some sort.

But those boots didn't stop her from gardening, Jazzercising or going to the gym. She kept herself in excellent shape.

Then she started getting tired. She couldn't make it to eleven AM without taking a nap. Parts of her body weren't working as they should. Stress test results showed heart troubles. Over the course of a year it appears she had small heart attacks and strokes. She needed stents in her heart. As of yesterday she has 7 or 8 stents in her heart.

Her feet also kept deteriorating, and she eventually had to have a toe removed that wouldn't heal after a sore appeared.

Her medications are endless, her kidneys - well someday in the future she will have one of mine in her. The transplant process has already been put into play.

Just last week she was finally allowed to go from a boot on her foot which had been on for a year, to a brace. She was over the moon happy, the happiest I've seen her in a while.

A few days ago she had a checkup stress test, and she had been waiting for the results. Yesterday was her birthday and the results came. She has another area of concern, another possible narrowing of an artery, but its in an area where there are already 3 stents. She fears a bypass surgery, and after working as a nurse, she is terrified of what could be.

I'm just devastated. Why does someone who has so much life, so much will to live and have fun and do things for other people get treated like this? Every time she gets good news, bad news is right around the corner. It's just plain not fair. What could she have done with her life if these ailments had stayed away?

Everything I have said here doesn't do her justice. She is everything I said but more X 100.

She goes in for a heart cath on Thursday next week. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. If you got this far, thank you for reading. My heart is just very heavy today.

10 members found this post helpful.

(((Hugs))) Continue to be her rock and showering you with prayers of grace and strength.

Hugs for you and your family. Jingles for your Mom!

Admiration of her spirit!
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I am so sorry, but she is so lucky to have such a loving and appreciative daughter. Thoughts and prayers for an easy surgery and recovery.

3 members found this post helpful.

Your mom sounds like an awesome person and mother, one of those people everyone just enjoys being around.

Sending my best healing thoughts and wishes for a speedy recovery and some good news too.
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." --Ghandi

All of my best wishes, thoughts, hopes and jingles to you and your Mom. She sounds amazing, and how lucky is she to have you!!!!

((((BIG HUG)))) for you and (((((BIG HUG))))) for your mom.
    Alis volat propriis.

Hugs to you, best wishes to your Mom. She sounds like the best of people.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Thank you all. Things like this make you regret all the grief you gave your parents growing up! She is an amazing person, and I'm afraid I haven't told her that enough. I know she will get through this, she doesn't let much hold her back, but it's just so scary.

I so sorry to hear of your mom's struggles. It sounds like she is a wonderful, positive person who has spent her life proving to others that you must live life to the fullest and with joy regardless of the hurdles that life may throw your way. What a wonderful example to others who are facing their own struggles each day.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Many hugs! And yes, I'd be asking "why?!" about such a wonderful person right now, too.

Type 1 diabetes sucks... I've had it for 37+ years and while I am not as affected as your mom, it's still affecting me every day.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Oh Bedazzle!

You are my long lost twin. My mom is also my bestest friend, diagnosed with T1 at the age of 7. Became legally blind and nearly died during her pregnancy with me. Her life has been a continuation of physical smack downs and she is such a tough strong woman....also slightly nuts and extremely feisty. She had a kidney transplant at the Mayo clinic a 1.5 yrs ago, and life has never been easy. There have been times where she was severly depressed and possibly suicidal and as a child I practically took care of her.

Sending prayers and jingles for your mom. I totally get questioning why someone so full of life has to have constant struggles. Its just not fair

If you ever need some support, feel free to PM. I'm in a very similar situation, and it is incredibly HARD.

Best Wishes,

MtyMax

Hugs and jingles to you and your mom. It sure sounds like she squeezes every drop of juice from any lemons the world hands out and makes them into lemonade full of the joy of living.

massive jingles and hugs for you and your mom.

Hugs and prayers...
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

More jingles and hugs!

Sending prayers for your mom.

Jingles for all involved. I imagine she will handle this challenge just like she has every other challenge that has been thrown her way. With determination and grace from the sounds of it.

*Hugs*

I hope your mom comes through this no worse off then before.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

*hugs* sending thoughts and prayers for you and your mom. She sounds like one hell of a woman. May she find continued strength and some good news.