The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation So I Bought This House or I Gotta Drive a Truck!

And I'm all moved in It's the little 2 bed, 1 bath place, I love it! 2.5% interest rate and my mortgage is ridiculously low hurray!

Here is the timeline for moving, thought I would share with you all.

1. Packed the cats into the car and head down the road. Edo, my sissy boy is completely freaked but Tux is pretty cool. Midway, Tux starts getting mad at Edo and I am yelling while careening down the road to get him to stop beating Edo. I arrive at the place to find that Edo had not only been screaming, crying, and acting the general fool but he also peed his carrier. Yes, my cat peed his pants. No wonder Tux was mad.

2. Got the U-Haul! WOOT! Head back out to Yelm, a 45 min drive.

3. Neighbor that I am paying to help me load the heavy stuff is there and up on time. All goes well until I realize she has vodka in her coffee and starts getting lit (10 am). She then starts demanding I load things a certain way and decides things are "too heavy" for her if she doesn't get her way. Then she goes into the house and starts carrying on about how I am a terrible packer and grabs some old shoe boxes and starts putting stuff in them. I let her know that all is not packed because it is going in the dumpster. I finally get so frazzled and irritated I not only break my 8' cat tree but leave without packing everything.

4. I really like driving the U-Haul away.

5. Unloading is hard work! But cool! My unloader help was awesome.

6. Go back for the rest of the stuff. Realize (at dusk) the U-Haul does not have working headlights. Call the emergency line. Sit for 3 hours while dispatcher gal informs me that "no one wants to come out that far" and she is "still looking". Lose my mind and tear up their phone lines until I get a response. Use minor foul language. The mobile mechanic was very nice and got me on the road 3 1/2 hours later. The drunk neighbors are milling around so I decide to give them my old cheap BBQ.

7. Back on the road! Get to Roy, WA where I see my friendly mobile mechanic pulled over for speeding I assume. Roy has a rep for that. I feel bad but do not stop as my generally hostile attitude from the days misadventures would probably get me arrested and the mechanic a larger ticket.

8. Wake up tired but excited! Realize I will be late returning the UHaul after my ordeal the night before. Call, and cable guy comes on time (hurray!).

9. Change locks and deadbolts on doors. Back door is tricky and I can't get the knob back on Completely FREAK THE HECK out and beat up the door with a Phillips screwdriver and my foot. Calm down, hope my new neighbors didn't hear, and get the dang thing put together.

10. Learn I have no hot water. Call friend who doesn't answer so freak out and call Roto-Rooter. They arrive to tell me this information-
    • It will be $259.99 to trouble shoot (not fix, but look for what is wrong) with my water heater.
    • After trouble shooting it will be around $600 to fix (?!)
    • They can get and install a new one for $1200.

Right then my toilet starts backing up. Right then. I pay $500 to get the line snaked and find that the builder left the test plug in the mainline. Nice, I have a $500 test plug if anyone wants to buy it. I tell the guy not to touch the water heater.

11. I forget the bottom part of the mailbox (piece of wood) to attach it onto my post. Was feeling pretty darn good about my 2' hole digging and leveling capabilities though. My mailbox is drilled onto the side of my level sturdy posts and flaps gently in the wind I did leave a nice apology note for my mail carrier and told him I would have it fixed by yesterday. I am hoping for today.

12. Knowledgeable friend advises just to get a new water heater, I decide on nicer bigger one that costs less than the trouble shooting fees offered by Roto-Rooter. I am going to see if they can add it to my washer dryer delivery tomorrow. Hopefully!

Moral of the story, do not ever, EVER call Roto-Rooter unless you like to throw your money around and also do not ask drunk neighbors to help load, even for 15 minutes as they will not leave and will start packing old toilet paper rolls and WalMart bags into shoe boxes.

Mercy. I gotta go get a horse braided and then run to work, see ya all later!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    And I'm all moved in It's the little 2 bed, 1 bath place, I love it! 2.5% interest rate and my mortgage is ridiculously low hurray!

Here is the timeline for moving, thought I would share with you all.

1. Packed the cats into the car and head down the road. Edo, my sissy boy is completely freaked but Tux is pretty cool. Midway, Tux starts getting mad at Edo and I am yelling while careening down the road to get him to stop beating Edo. I arrive at the place to find that Edo had not only been screaming, crying, and acting the general fool but he also peed his carrier. Yes, my cat peed his pants. No wonder Tux was mad.

2. Got the U-Haul! WOOT! Head back out to Yelm, a 45 min drive.

3. Neighbor that I am paying to help me load the heavy stuff is there and up on time. All goes well until I realize she has vodka in her coffee and starts getting lit (10 am). She then starts demanding I load things a certain way and decides things are "too heavy" for her if she doesn't get her way. Then she goes into the house and starts carrying on about how I am a terrible packer and grabs some old shoe boxes and starts putting stuff in them. I let her know that all is not packed because it is going in the dumpster. I finally get so frazzled and irritated I not only break my 8' cat tree but leave without packing everything.

4. I really like driving the U-Haul away.

5. Unloading is hard work! But cool! My unloader help was awesome.

6. Go back for the rest of the stuff. Realize (at dusk) the U-Haul does not have working headlights. Call the emergency line. Sit for 3 hours while dispatcher gal informs me that "no one wants to come out that far" and she is "still looking". Lose my mind and tear up their phone lines until I get a response. Use minor foul language. The mobile mechanic was very nice and got me on the road 3 1/2 hours later. The drunk neighbors are milling around so I decide to give them my old cheap BBQ.

7. Back on the road! Get to Roy, WA where I see my friendly mobile mechanic pulled over for speeding I assume. Roy has a rep for that. I feel bad but do not stop as my generally hostile attitude from the days misadventures would probably get me arrested and the mechanic a larger ticket.

8. Wake up tired but excited! Realize I will be late returning the UHaul after my ordeal the night before. Call, and cable guy comes on time (hurray!).

9. Change locks and deadbolts on doors. Back door is tricky and I can't get the knob back on Completely FREAK THE HECK out and beat up the door with a Phillips screwdriver and my foot. Calm down, hope my new neighbors didn't hear, and get the dang thing put together.

10. Learn I have no hot water. Call friend who doesn't answer so freak out and call Roto-Rooter. They arrive to tell me this information-
    • It will be $259.99 to trouble shoot (not fix, but look for what is wrong) with my water heater.
    • After trouble shooting it will be around $600 to fix (?!)
    • They can get and install a new one for $1200.

Right then my toilet starts backing up. Right then. I pay $500 to get the line snaked and find that the builder left the test plug in the mainline. Nice, I have a $500 test plug if anyone wants to buy it. I tell the guy not to touch the water heater.

11. I forget the bottom part of the mailbox (piece of wood) to attach it onto my post. Was feeling pretty darn good about my 2' hole digging and leveling capabilities though. My mailbox is drilled onto the side of my level sturdy posts and flaps gently in the wind I did leave a nice apology note for my mail carrier and told him I would have it fixed by yesterday. I am hoping for today.

12. Knowledgeable friend advises just to get a new water heater, I decide on nicer bigger one that costs less than the trouble shooting fees offered by Roto-Rooter. I am going to see if they can add it to my washer dryer delivery tomorrow. Hopefully!

Moral of the story, do not ever, EVER call Roto-Rooter unless you like to throw your money around and also do not ask drunk neighbors to help load, even for 15 minutes as they will not leave and will start packing old toilet paper rolls and WalMart bags into shoe boxes.

Mercy. I gotta go get a horse braided and then run to work, see ya all later!
    You just made me so glad I did not buy a house right now!
    Sorry for your troubles! Did you have the house inspected before closing?
    One thing I will always do no matter what!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Sorry for laughing but totally made my night!

Hope the new house is worth it which I'm sure it is. Congrats and good luck with it.

P.

Congrats! and you just reminded me why I never want to move again!
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

If we ever get together, remind me to tell you my story of trying to hang curtains in a townhouse I rented. Imagine a woman laying on the floor, cluttered with curtain rod debris and tools, crying and asking the drill "why????? why???? *sob sob*"
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Holy mackerel. Welcome home and have a stiff drink! May this be the worst problem you ever have with your new home.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Wow! How are the cats doing?

I just got done moving and was smiling and nodding my head as I was reading your post!

While I had plenty of help in moving and not near the mishaps you described we were in a crunch to get our stuff moved as the broodmare was due to foal any day and the new farm was 1+ hour away from boarding barn...

Day #1 We closed then moved furniture and 110 bales of alfalfa hay... also had 3 cats to move, 1 was fine and looked out the window like a dog, the other 2 split the ride trying to kill eachother and screaming... also had to fence in the back yard before the dog could be let loose...

Day #2 move the horses, more hay, take down their carport/run-in shed from boarding barn and put it back up in their temp pasture. (oh and work a full 8 hours)

It took about 2 weeks to get everything totally moved we still aren't completely settled in, have had company every weekend so far, and are killing ourselves putting up fence as the previous owners didn't have any livestock... once we finish the fence, we still have to build stalls then cross fence everything... but we love it!! (our interest rate is low but not as low as yours! Lucky!!!)

Jenners, I gotta hear that story! I just hung the blinds in the living room

Southern Yankie, congrats on the move and I completely understand LOL!!

There was an inspection on the home, the water heater worked on March 5th for it. The home was built in 2009 and has sat vacant as the investor was foreclosed on. I may be able to get the builder to reimburse me for the $500 test plug, we will see.

The good news is that my new 50 gallon water heater is being installed in the morning and my washer and driver will arrive then as well HURRAY!!!

The cats are good, Tux is excited to live in his very own mansion and has investigated every square inch of the place. Edo is better but still bolts from loud noises. He has lost a little weight from nerves but that is good since he is a pint sized pork chop muffin fat boy. Tux has gained weight I think from behaving as though he is the king of the castle.
    The Knotted Pony

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Jenners, I gotta hear that story! I just hung the blinds in the living room

Southern Yankie, congrats on the move and I completely understand LOL!!

There was an inspection on the home, the water heater worked on March 5th for it. The home was built in 2009 and has sat vacant as the investor was foreclosed on. I may be able to get the builder to reimburse me for the $500 test plug, we will see.

The good news is that my new 50 gallon water heater is being installed in the morning and my washer and driver will arrive then as well HURRAY!!!

The cats are good, Tux is excited to live in his very own mansion and has investigated every square inch of the place. Edo is better but still bolts from loud noises. He has lost a little weight from nerves but that is good since he is a pint sized pork chop muffin fat boy. Tux has gained weight I think from behaving as though he is the king of the castle.
    From what I understand the inspection company is responsible You might be able to get reimbursed!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

When we were moving from one place to the next we were told it would be NO problem to have power at both places over the weekend. Get to the old place on Friday afternoon after a full day of teaching Kdg. to find the power off! Husband was at work until late thinking we would have the whole weekend to move the big stuff.

I picked out what we HAD to have to stay at the new place. I got most of it loaded/unloaded on my own. When it got to the bed set (queen) I was SO tired, oh so tired. I tried to pick the mattress up and just could not get it all the way up. I slid on the tile floor and ended up UNDER the mattress. I just laid there and cried. There was nothing else I could do.

Once I got free I called my husband and told him he would be meeting me at a local motel for the night and to bring LOTS of adult liquids!

LOL

Oh Kimkat

I actually thought I was going to cry at the prices the RotoRooter guy was saying!

I honestly would drink too but I just don't have time.
    The Knotted Pony