The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Let's just call them both Canadian and leave it at that until we know for sure.
    They are from Canadastan....

I knew that lot were up to no good.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
    JanM above said the "MTA"—which in Boston is "MBTA"—officer had died. The only 2 people who are dead are one of the suspects and the MIT police officer.
    Uh, no she didn't. I think if you read her post you'll find that she (and every national and local source I've read) said that the MIT officer died and the MBTA (which she reported as MTA) one is in the hospital.

Disco, I saw that. So weird. Apparently that's being reported on the police scanners but news outlets are waiting to report until they get confirmation (thankfully). Their poor families if it's true.

ETA: Chechens? That's freaking bizarre. Just a note though -- Chechen =/= Russian, as both would be very quick to tell you.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by loshad View Post

Disco, I saw that. So weird. Apparently that's being reported on the police scanners but news outlets are waiting to report until they get confirmation (thankfully). Their poor families if it's true.
    They've already released his name all over the internet.
    There are loads of websites with nasty comments with people telling him and his family to rot in hell.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

ETA: Chechens? That's freaking bizarre. Just a note though -- Chechen =/= Russian, as both would be very quick to tell you.
    Not ethnically. But it is still part of Russia, so they would be Russian nationals with Russian passports.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Turn on the national news! Taller blue hat suspect dead, white hat at large, armed and dangerous. Last night they apparently tried a robbery at 10:20 pm, they shot and killed a MIT policeman, carjacked a Mercedes SUV near MIT, tried to escape, released the driver after 30 minutes, and tried to bust out of the police cordon towards Watertown, firefight, bombs thrown from car, MTA police officer wounded and later died, suspect two (blue hat) escapes, and an office complex in Watertown is being searched, suspect one dead of shrapnel and blast wounds (from IED strapped to his chest), IED unexploded around body of dying suspect one. Suspect One burning in hell with his buddies McVeigh, Saddam and Osama Bin Laden.

Second suspect is still being hunted, and is armed with bombs and guns. If you are in or near Watertown stay indoors. Watertown and neighboring communities' citizens and businesses are asked to stay home, not go out for any reason, all commuter lines are shut. Newtown, Walton, Cambridge, Watertown, and other communities are on lockdown. No driving, or going outside. This suspect has grenades and guns and will use them. They are reporting that he and the other suspect moved here over a year ago, and the second man might have come here on a student visa. I guess my domestic terrorism was wrong.
    Uh, no she didn't. I think if you read her post you'll find that she (and every national and local source I've read) said that the MIT officer died and the MBTA (which she reported as MTA) one is in the hospital.

Actually, loshad, she did--see the bold from her FIRST post (bold is mine).

That is FALSE information; he was critically injured in the gunfight and is being treated at Mount Auburn Hospital on the Cambridge/Watertown line.
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

Oy. You're right Big Bay. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey the Marcher View Post
    They've already released his name all over the internet.
    There are loads of websites with nasty comments with people telling him and his family to rot in hell.
    None of the reputable ones, as far as I've seen. Michelle Malkin and Twitchy were all over it, and a bunch of blogs, but I didn't see any of the biggies reporting it. YMMV, I'm not all over everything on the net sincce ye olde toddler has been pretty grumpy this evening.

Trust me on this one -- I lived in Russia for a couple of years. Calling a Chechen a Russian (or and ethnic Russian living in Chechnya a Chechen) -- those were fighting words.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

S'okay, loshad. My apologies for being SUPER adamant but this is all taking place a few miles from my home and I'm kind of on edge. Have been since 3 PM Monday. This has really been a terrible week (and not just in Boston!); I still cry when the skyline comes into view on my way to and from work.
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

2 members found this post helpful.

None of the reputable ones, as far as I've seen. Michelle Malkin and Twitchy were all over it, and a bunch of blogs, but I didn't see any of the biggies reporting it. YMMV, I'm not all over everything on the net sincce ye olde toddler has been pretty grumpy this evening.

Trust me on this one -- I lived in Russia for a couple of years. Calling a Chechen a Russian (or and ethnic Russian living in Chechnya a Chechen) -- those were fighting words.
    I"m well aware of the Chechen/Russian thing.
    The point that you seem to be missing is that the media reported them as Russian, as they would have entered the US on Russian passports and would be Russian citizens. It is technically correct to do so.
    Just like it is technically correct to refer to most ardent Scottish Nationalist as British.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

Crazy picture just tweeted.... https://twitter.com/shawna_england/s...785408/photo/1

Wonder if they have him cornered?
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

This is different. Usually the antiterrorist groups don't allow local police to get involved, much less the public. Reason-they want the suspects captured and want to interrogate them to get information on their network and support groups and the source of their funds. In this case, if both die, there will be no more possibility of finding their cohorts.

Chechnyans? What, there's not enough stuff to blow up in vast Mother Russia you had to come here?

So sorry that the police officer was killed.

1 members found this post helpful.

NBC news just reported they are brothers. One they are hunting is Joseph Tsarnav. They've been here for a year.
    How can there be so many currents in such a little puddle?
    National Velvet

Crazy picture just tweeted.... https://twitter.com/shawna_england/s...785408/photo/1

That's some picture.
    National Velvet

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

NBC is reporting wrong. That was already debunked.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by dotneko View Post
    How the heck did the carjack victim not get killed. He must have an interesting story to tell.
    I was thinking the same thing. S/he should buy a lottery ticket on the way home today.

Fingers crossed that this wraps up without further loss of innocent life.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    NBC is reporting wrong. That was already debunked.
    Amazing that they get it so wrong so late. Getting the best news resources at COTH!
    National Velvet

Holy. Cow.

I hope the person who took that picture is safely tucked away in her basement or something. Man, oh, man.

And it's interesting that a couple of reporters have already asked on Twitter for permission to use her pictures, and another wants her to call him with the scoop.

The land of heat waves and unbearable humidity

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    If you live anywhere near MIT and Boston, stay home! If you meet this guy on the street, he's going to use you as a hostage. And he won't care if you are killed.
    Stay home.
    Some of us walked to work as we are hospital staff. It's really quiet here too.
    Its strange that the swat team that was on front of the Shaprio building this week are gone.
    "Common sense is so rare nowadays, it should be classified as a super power."-Craig Bear Laubscher

Several news outlets now reporting they are brothers - have names and DOBs. Hope they manage to get the other guy without him hurting others.