The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

If we could understand what motivates anyone to kill lots of people, be it Newtown, or Boston, or Columbine etc., we might have more success in preventing mass murder.

As far as the shooting from the boat, the police chief claimed there was only one shot fired from the boat. All the other shots came from the police.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    For the terrorist, it makes perfect sense. To a normal human being who DOESN'T view other humans as pawns to gain political advantage, it probably doesn't.
    Thanks. I'll take that as a compliment, since it makes no sense to me.

And while more people were killed in the factory explosion in Texas, once it happened, it was over. People weren't waiting to see if another factory would explode the next day, or in the next town, or at the next ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I had a thought. I've always believed that the difference between liberals and conservatives has to do with their views of humanity and whether humans are essentially good or bad. Sort of the Hobbesian/Locke dichotomy. That liberals are basically optimists and conservatives are basically pessimists where human beings are concerned.

Would y'all agree that both sides believe that the role of government is control human behavior? My thought today was that conservatives believe in control through negative reinforcement while liberals believe in control through positive reinforcement. Think about your animal training experiences and decide which one is likely to work better for both the animal and the results.
    I disagree.

And regarding positive reinforcement- The positive reinforcement the liberals want to use is to give money/things for doing nothing, by taking them away from those that have those things. The conservatives believe that you must earn the reward.

6 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

BTW, when did an IED become a weapon of mass destruction, anyway? I thought those were things like nuclear devices that had the power to level whole cities. Maybe we can classify an AK-47 as a weapon of mass destruction because of the number of people it is capable of killing in a very short time? I suppose dynamite is a weapon of mass destruction under the government's definition. That might mean that we can go to war with any country we don't like who possesses dynamite. (Think of the justification for Bush's Iraq incursion.

The way this whole thing has and is playing out makes me quite ill. The government's role is just perhaps as nauseating as the bombers' simply because of precedential value.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

3 members found this post helpful.

NY Times article about the suspect being charged after lawyers and officials convened in his hospital room. It includes a link to a transcript of the proceedings:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/23/us...S_BSI_20130422

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyGuineaPigLady View Post
    Because your picture wasn't posted when I started typing… There are other people who look like they are casually strolling away and the gray haired man in the forefront could be smiling. The guy in front of him with the black beanie looks like he’s going to take a drink from his water bottle. That is not the picture I originally saw and I would not be alarmed by the guy in the white hat if I didn’t know who he was now.

Again, I'm just trying to make sense of this.
    I agree -- any suspicions cast on the suspect in this picture are, IMHO, nothing but 20-20 hindsight. The way his arm is bent could indicate speed, and even if it doesn't, even if he is walking, there are plenty of other people who -- at least at that moment in time -- look more unconcerned and relaxed.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    This is about the most thoughtless, nasty, insensitive statement I've read since the bombings.

Boston doesn't need the likes of you, thankyouverymuch.

Fat lot of good all those guns did the Boston PD when half the entire police force was shooting at the bombers.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Can anyone say for certain that LE had identified the suspects BEFORE they carjacked the Mercedes guy?

Also, what happened to reports that they robbed a 7/11?
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...oston/2097915/

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Can anyone say for certain that LE had identified the suspects BEFORE they carjacked the Mercedes guy?

I don't know about the car jacking, but they did not rob 7/11, some else did, it just happened right around the same time as everything else.

I don't believe LE identified the suspects before they killed the MIT policeman and carjacked the SUV.
    I also heard from local news that the suspects did not rob the 7-11. So much of the story is confusing and varies from one source to another.

Any wonder there's so much confusion on this whole story? Read the above story, and see what it says about the standoff resulted in the death of an MIT officer.
    I understand getting it wrong in a hurry to get the story out, but not correcting it?

ETA I agree with JoZ and CrazyGuineaPigLady.. that photo is a moment in time, just like we often say about photos of craptastic riding,... it's being interpreted through hindsight, and I can't fathom why... they have got to have enough evidence on him w/ all the stills and video that is out there, why do they need to insist this pic shows him looking non chalant when that's debatable.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

It was nice having a normalish day today.

If anyone would like a neat way to contribute to the Richard family, College Hype (a local company) is making "Dorchester Strong" T shirts and donating a portion of the proceeds to the family. http://store.collegehypegear.com/sho...idproduct=3395

One of the lawyers I work with lives in Watertown. Poor thing, she was inside one of the perimeters, but not the one in which the SWAT team searched every house. Must have been a very scary day.

The injuries are horrific for a lot of people and they have touched many peoples way of life. A friend of a friend lost a leg and her other leg had a piece of a tree removed from it.
    Thank you to all who have shown our city support this past week. It means a lot.
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    This is about the most thoughtless, nasty, insensitive statement I've read since the bombings.

Boston doesn't need the likes of you, thankyouverymuch.
    I have to agree with this...insensitive and nasty AND very immature too boot. Not only don't we need that poster here, she/he would NEVER make it here, so I'm not very concerned about that poster ever being in a position to bring all those guns to Boston .

5 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=vineyridge;6953754]BTW, when did an IED become a weapon of mass destruction, anyway? I thought those were things like nuclear devices that had the power to level whole cities. Maybe we can classify an AK-47 as a weapon of mass destruction because of the number of people it is capable of killing in a very short time? I suppose dynamite is a weapon of mass destruction under the government's definition. That might mean that we can go to war with any country we don't like who possesses dynamite. (Think of the justification for Bush's Iraq incursion.

The way this whole thing has and is playing out makes me quite ill. The government's role is just perhaps as nauseating as the bombers' simply because of precedential value.[/QUOTE]

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013...rnaev-charged/

And what the hell are you talking about??

Btw, I think it was Lex who really hit the nail on the head. The spirit of Reagan was a nice touch.

According to the Wired story, anything but a gun, knife, blunt instrument or razor is a weapon of mass destruction and only a gun is capable of multiple killing in a short time. Any explosive seems to be a "weapon of mass destruction". This looks like more of the "1984" perversion of language in these times. Why don't they just say explosive? Do the feds have jurisdiction any time one of the federally defined "weapons of mass destruction" is used? Is their use by definition terrorist? Is there a requisite intent? If someone were to blow up a house because they hated the people who lived there, would that person be a "terrorist" using a "weapon of mass destruction"?

I'm really appalled at the expansiveness of federal power under the rubric of "war on terror".

I'm talking about this strange world we live in.

[QUOTE=grayarabpony;6953949]
    BTW, when did an IED become a weapon of mass destruction, anyway? I thought those were things like nuclear devices that had the power to level whole cities. Maybe we can classify an AK-47 as a weapon of mass destruction because of the number of people it is capable of killing in a very short time? I suppose dynamite is a weapon of mass destruction under the government's definition. That might mean that we can go to war with any country we don't like who possesses dynamite. (Think of the justification for Bush's Iraq incursion.

The way this whole thing has and is playing out makes me quite ill. The government's role is just perhaps as nauseating as the bombers' simply because of precedential value.[/QUOTE]

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013...rnaev-charged/

And what the hell are you talking about??

Btw, I think it was Lex who really hit the nail on the head. The spirit of Reagan was a nice touch.

I had a thought. I've always believed that the difference between liberals and conservatives has to do with their views of humanity and whether humans are essentially good or bad. Sort of the Hobbesian/Locke dichotomy. That liberals are basically optimists and conservatives are basically pessimists where human beings are concerned.

Would y'all agree that both sides believe that the role of government is control human behavior? My thought today was that conservatives believe in control through negative reinforcement while liberals believe in control through positive reinforcement. Think about your animal training experiences and decide which one is likely to work better for both the animal and the results.
    This is funny. NO Way, conservatives dont look to the govt to control human behavior, because we are free, and have a govt for a very limited purpose....

Hey Canadians! How do you like the intel that came out about the plans the two terrorists had to blow up your trains?

Now that the govt has made the mistake of reading him his miranda, kiss any more intel goodbye.

This will not be the last terrorist act on US soil.

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    This is funny. NO Way, conservatives dont look to the govt to control human behavior, because we are free, and have a govt for a very limited purpose....
    This proves that conservatives don't believe in a legal system or the military.