The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I left out the parts involving Chuck Norris fighting the Athiests/Agnostics. It's just too traumatizing and graphic to be described on a forum like this.
    Oh no!! Now, I AM going to have to go get some guns! Oh wait, since I'm one of those brainwashed liberal arts graduates, I'll have plenty of backup from the maurading hordes...phew!

3 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I had a thought. I've always believed that the difference between liberals and conservatives has to do with their views of humanity and whether humans are essentially good or bad. Sort of the Hobbesian/Locke dichotomy. That liberals are basically optimists and conservatives are basically pessimists where human beings are concerned.

Would y'all agree that both sides believe that the role of government is control human behavior? My thought today was that conservatives believe in control through negative reinforcement while liberals believe in control through positive reinforcement. Think about your animal training experiences and decide which one is likely to work better for both the animal and the results.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

1 members found this post helpful.

Viney - think you've hit the nail on the head.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Government just announced that the suspect will not be tried as an enemy combatant.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    His name is Nate Bell. He is a Republican from Arkansas, and he sent out this tweet while the manhunt was still in progress.

Arkansas State Representative Nate Bell tweeted, "I wonder how many Boston liberals spent the night cowering in their homes wishing they had an AR-15 with a high-capacity magazine?"

Here is my favorite response to his comment, from Boston resident Brian Folkins-Amador, which can be found at this link:

http://randyreport.blogspot.com/2013...refers-to.html

I'd like to answer that: Probably none. Believe it or not, we Boston liberals slept just fine, thank you. Unlike you, we don't need a gun by our side to feel unafraid. Unlike you, apparently, we know that no gun, no matter how powerful, would have done a bit of good in preventing the Boston Marathon bombing. Do you really believe that guns would have given you, or anyone else, the prescience to know that these kids were going to plant bombs? And if it had been so, what would you have done? Shot two people in the middle of a huge crowd of spectators?

I slept fine last night, even without a gun by my side, and I'll tell you why. Because I saw how our law enforcement agents and elected officials responded immediately to a crisis, taking extraordinary measures to protect the public, to bring the bombers to justice, and to assure people that everything possible was being done to keep us safe. I saw how the state and federal governments, the media, and the public cooperated to create the space for law enforcement to do its job. I saw how the second suspect was captured alive after countless human hours of patient, painstaking study of the available evidence. In short, I saw how civilization triumphed over evil, how a rational, coordinated effort limited the potential loss of human life. I saw how my city, which I, as a transplant, have often seen as cold, unfriendly and uncaring, pulled together in a way I would have thought unimaginable, with a sense of common purpose that even now brings tears to my eyes. I saw how this common effort prevented further loss of life. I don't need a gun. If you think that your firearms would have made you any safer in our situation, you're entitled to your opinion. But don't assume we share it. We happen to believe that there are stronger protections than lethal weapons. Mr. Bell, Wayne LaPierre, Alex Jones and other gun worshippers, maybe you would cower in your homes if you didn't have firearms by your sides. We Boston liberals are made of stouter stuff than that.

Thank you for that MHM. Very well said.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

5 members found this post helpful.

His name is Nate Bell. He is a Republican from Arkansas, and he sent out this tweet while the manhunt was still in progress.

Arkansas State Representative Nate Bell tweeted, "I wonder how many Boston liberals spent the night cowering in their homes wishing they had an AR-15 with a high-capacity magazine?"

Here is my favorite response to his comment, from Boston resident Brian Folkins-Amador, which can be found at this link:

http://randyreport.blogspot.com/2013...refers-to.html

I'd like to answer that: Probably none. Believe it or not, we Boston liberals slept just fine, thank you. Unlike you, we don't need a gun by our side to feel unafraid. Unlike you, apparently, we know that no gun, no matter how powerful, would have done a bit of good in preventing the Boston Marathon bombing. Do you really believe that guns would have given you, or anyone else, the prescience to know that these kids were going to plant bombs? And if it had been so, what would you have done? Shot two people in the middle of a huge crowd of spectators?

I slept fine last night, even without a gun by my side, and I'll tell you why. Because I saw how our law enforcement agents and elected officials responded immediately to a crisis, taking extraordinary measures to protect the public, to bring the bombers to justice, and to assure people that everything possible was being done to keep us safe. I saw how the state and federal governments, the media, and the public cooperated to create the space for law enforcement to do its job. I saw how the second suspect was captured alive after countless human hours of patient, painstaking study of the available evidence. In short, I saw how civilization triumphed over evil, how a rational, coordinated effort limited the potential loss of human life. I saw how my city, which I, as a transplant, have often seen as cold, unfriendly and uncaring, pulled together in a way I would have thought unimaginable, with a sense of common purpose that even now brings tears to my eyes. I saw how this common effort prevented further loss of life. I don't need a gun. If you think that your firearms would have made you any safer in our situation, you're entitled to your opinion. But don't assume we share it. We happen to believe that there are stronger protections than lethal weapons. Mr. Bell, Wayne LaPierre, Alex Jones and other gun worshippers, maybe you would cower in your homes if you didn't have firearms by your sides. We Boston liberals are made of stouter stuff than that.
    As the timeline following the attack is coming out I am really dumbstruck that it seems no one from #2's college crowd or dorm called the police to say "I'm not 100% sure from the photo but it bears a resemblance to #2." It could be reported in the news without giving the students name but it seems there is no such story. The point being that IF any student or teacher had made that call the shootouts might not have happened. The murderer wasn't in hiding. So far, only crickets on that front. What is different about those students? I am really puzzled.

I admit I had the same thought during the Boston lockdown though not in the smarmy way of Mr. Bell. I told my husband that I suspected anyone with a handgun in their home felt a little less vulnerable than those who chose to not keep one. I said it in another post, neither is right or wrong, it is a choice.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I had a thought. I've always believed that the difference between liberals and conservatives has to do with their views of humanity and whether humans are essentially good or bad. Sort of the Hobbesian/Locke dichotomy. That liberals are basically optimists and conservatives are basically pessimists where human beings are concerned.

Would y'all agree that both sides believe that the role of government is control human behavior? My thought today was that conservatives believe in control through negative reinforcement while liberals believe in control through positive reinforcement. Think about your animal training experiences and decide which one is likely to work better for both the animal and the results.
    Animal brains are different than human brains.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    Government just announced that the suspect will not be tried as an enemy combatant.
    I don't have strong feelings about this, but I think I'm relieved. An American citizen on American soil acting alone is not the same as an enemy soldier. Not that he shouldn't be punished to the fullest extent of the law- he absolutely should.

As far as his Miranda rights go, I wonder why that is even much of a concern. If they can't use his statements against him because they didn't read him his rights, so what? There seems to be abundant proof of his crimes before he says a single word.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    I admit I had the same thought during the Boston lockdown though not in the smarmy way of Mr. Bell. I told my husband that I suspected anyone with a handgun in their home felt a little less vulnerable than those who chose to not keep one. I said it in another post, neither is right or wrong, it is a choice.
    Are you an elected official? If so, would you have sent out that tweet, particularly before the crisis was resolved?

I think one of the job requirements for elected officials who represent others is to show good judgment. Massive fail on Nate Bell's part on that score. Not that he's the first or the last politician to show bad judgment. But that display was pretty flagrant.

4 members found this post helpful.

I just have to say me and all my conservative friends will always be respectful to libs. Yep. If your life is in danger and I have my gun in my waistband (which is usually) I won't use it to save you. See how nice we are? We also usually have a few guns in our trucks too. I promise not to use those to help you either. See how easy it is? And yes I would feel better if I were in Boston at the time and I had my guns loaded and ready. I had two emergencies where I had to put down horses quickly. I was happy I had my guns then. And when the coyotes were trying to eat my cat. Yep I was happy then too. Not much chance of a crazy running around here. Too many conservatives armed to the hilt. Do you see how that works? More people with guns, much less crime.

Are you an elected official? If so, would you have sent out that tweet, particularly before the crisis was resolved?

I think one of the job requirements for elected officials who represent others is to show good judgment. Massive fail on Nate Bell's part on that score. Not that he's the first or the last politician to show bad judgment. But that display was pretty flagrant.
    Not an elected official and I don't use Twitter. His words were as tacky and divisive at Salons article and Axelrods speculative remarks last week.

I have two law enforcement workers in my immediate family. They recommend having something to protect yourself prior to law enforcement getting on site. Feelings don't stop bad guys.

If you are not local, radio station WEEI had this interview today that was most interesting:

Col. Tim Alben, head of the Massachusetts State Police, and Watertown Police chief Ed Deveau joined Dennis & Callahan on Monday morning to discuss the manhunt for Boston Marathon bombing suspects Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. To hear the interviews, go to the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.

http://leeinks.weei.com/sports/2013/...anhunt-with-dc

Links to the audio are available thru the above link

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    If you are not local, radio station WEEI had this interview today that was most interesting:

Col. Tim Alben, head of the Massachusetts State Police, and Watertown Police chief Ed Deveau joined Dennis & Callahan on Monday morning to discuss the manhunt for Boston Marathon bombing suspects Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. To hear the interviews, go to the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.

http://leeinks.weei.com/sports/2013/...anhunt-with-dc

Links to the audio are available thru the above link
    Thanks for the link- listening to it now.

I'm still listening to the radio podcast with the police official, and the sister of the officer with the milk in this picture called in to say it was NOT set up as a photo opportunity. It's pretty sweet, if you haven't seen it:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

They're also saying the gentleman who had his boat shot up has so many boat offers, he may end up with a yacht.

At 2:50 PM today. Moment of silence for all Boston victims. That's basically NOW.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Very interesting - I think I agree totally.

Also very interesting - though I "wish" humans were as easily trained as animals. But again, if humans were as easily trained, many of us would choose humans instead of animals for companions and we would not have such a vast board for horses. Speaking for myself, I can get along with just about all animals I met: humans? not so much....

Quote Originally Posted by CHSatwork View Post
    I just have to say me and all my conservative friends will always be respectful to libs. Yep. If your life is in danger and I have my gun in my waistband (which is usually) I won't use it to save you. See how nice we are? We also usually have a few guns in our trucks too. I promise not to use those to help you either. See how easy it is? And yes I would feel better if I were in Boston at the time and I had my guns loaded and ready. I had two emergencies where I had to put down horses quickly. I was happy I had my guns then. And when the coyotes were trying to eat my cat. Yep I was happy then too. Not much chance of a crazy running around here. Too many conservatives armed to the hilt. Do you see how that works? More people with guns, much less crime.
    This is about the most thoughtless, nasty, insensitive statement I've read since the bombings.

Boston doesn't need the likes of you, thankyouverymuch.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

14 members found this post helpful.

As the timeline following the attack is coming out I am really dumbstruck that it seems no one from #2's college crowd or dorm called the police to say "I'm not 100% sure from the photo but it bears a resemblance to #2." It could be reported in the news without giving the students name but it seems there is no such story. The point being that IF any student or teacher had made that call the shootouts might not have happened. The murderer wasn't in hiding. So far, only crickets on that front. What is different about those students? I am really puzzled.
    We don't actually know that. Remember, the photos were not released until Thursday... by which point the younger suspect was likely not on the UMass Dartmouth campus anymore. Someone from the campus may well have called when they realized it.

A very casual acquaintance of mine, who just happens to live in Watertown and who bears a distinct resemblance to the younger suspect, was in fact questioned -- very thoroughly -- on Thursday or Friday. I do not know if someone called him in to the police or not. He was pretty unhappy about it, but I think he's a smart enough guy that he understands why it happened.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Well I am glad that despite not having a crystal ball law enforcement caught 1 suspect, killed 1 suspect and there were only two injured, one fatal however. I say good work. We have 3 peace officers in my area, so I don't need a bunch of civilian people with guns in their waist band for protection. Although I am not sure about the logic of guns protecting anyone from bombers.......Somehow I think that feeling of safety is sadly mistaken.
    Last edited by stolen virtue; Apr. 22, 2013 at 03:54 PM.

4 members found this post helpful.

I am really dumbstruck that it seems no one from #2's college crowd or dorm called the police to say "I'm not 100% sure from the photo but it bears a resemblance to #2."
    A quote from one of his friends:
    Here's how classmate Eric Machado described Jahar to CNN:

I'm in shock that he would do this. Once I saw the photos I kind of had an idea that it was him but you never want to throw someone... that I knew personally under the bus, and kind of assume that it was him. It was kind of more of a joke: "Oh hey that looks like Jahar." But it was clearly not a joke, and should have been taken a little more seriously on my part. It was not something you could ever predict, and it was kind of a shock.