The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    Or perhaps it's my sadness and concern for the people of Boston - including several of my good friends who live there. I'm disgusted by the finger pointing and attempts to be divisive when people are suffering. But there are far more examples of people stepping up and helping their fellow man than there are of divisiveness, for which I am grateful.
    RD, perhaps some of the vitriol you are seeing her has to do with this quote from an earlier thread: And "On the 18th of April in '75..." I'm betting thankfully inept Tea Party "Patriots" This was posted by Carolprudm who made more posts that were equally accusatory of her fellow Americans. And her posts were being made on the day of the Marathon. So much for being helpful and stepping up to help their fellow man.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

What I am reading as a dedicated attempt to ensure that these people were Muslim- for whatever reason that may be, and not just on this board- worries me for the people who "look Arabic" (not that you have to be Arabic to be Muslim) or wear something that "looks Muslim" or who are Muslim and who join us in condemning people who kill other people. Fear and hatred are blinding and we don't need to be willfully keeping our eyes shut.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

2 members found this post helpful.

How do you PROVE some one follows a specific religion? We can't ask him. He is dead. Family says he was, witnesses say he prayed 5 times a day. Witnesses say he made his wife convert. Facebook pages shows "likes" to various Islamist groups.

What proof do you need? Photos of them entering a mosque?

But being a devout Muslim does not make him a jihadist. We don't know what their motivation was/is.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

7 members found this post helpful.

I would be just as upset if the 2 brothers were Christians. Terrorism is horrible, no matter what the beliefs of the killers. Who cares what religion the killer in the Colorado movie theatre was? Or the religion of the guy in the New Town shootings? Who cares what religion serial murderers are?

Even if the motive for the bombings in Boston was religiously motivated, or nationalism motivated, it was NOT JUSTIFIED. And as people have said, there are evil and crazy people in all religions. Unfortunately it is the innocent and law enforcement who are killed by extremists.

8 members found this post helpful.

The proof that I would like to see is whether religion was a reason behind the attack. Seems like a real waste to use terror with no explanation - no one claiming responsibility (re: a group). Again, that's not often why it's done. It usually is designed to call attention to something.

With 9/11, the sites that were attacked sent a clear message. They attacked symbols of American hegemony and military might. This makes sense.

But a marathon? To protest...running?

The only other link that I can think of is knowing that the troops were doing that walk in honor of their fallen soldiers in Afghanistan, and that somehow tripped something in the brain of someone radical.
    Last edited by OneGrayPony; Apr. 19, 2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Typing on phone is stupid. Don't try this at home, kiddies.

Even if the motive for the bombings in Boston was religiously motivated, or nationalism motivated, it was NOT JUSTIFIED
    Of course not, but it is curious as to whether it is the cause or not.

The land of heat waves and unbearable humidity

Just an update. Few busses are running again and people are walking about. Most stores are closed and if you need to drive its ok.

When I walked home today it was really quiet. No helicopters, busses, planes.... It was really eerie. People are out though and the bars are filling up. Things are slowly getting back to normal.

I just want this kid captured and I hope he spills the beans. We need to get the group responsible for this carnage.

Also I would like to add that the victims who were brought to BMC are doing well thanks to our wonderful doctors, staff and first responders.
    Even though its scary, we healthcare workers go by the code that sickness knows no holiday, terrorism, or natural disaster.
    "Common sense is so rare nowadays, it should be classified as a super power."-Craig Bear Laubscher

Nikki, a huge thank you to you and your colleagues in the medical profession.

And thanks for the update on the local scene.

Something big going on
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

looks like they have him and he's 'down' whatever that means.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    I would be just as upset if the 2 brothers were Christians. Terrorism is horrible, no matter what the beliefs of the killers. Who cares what religion the killer in the Colorado movie theatre was? Or the religion of the guy in the New Town shootings? Who cares what religion serial murderers are?

Even if the motive for the bombings in Boston was religiously motivated, or nationalism motivated, it was NOT JUSTIFIED. And as people have said, there are evil and crazy people in all religions. Unfortunately it is the innocent and law enforcement who are killed by extremists.
    I am 100% in agreement with you, C&C.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Looks like there's a shootout going down.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Get back in the house Watertown No baklava for you
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

following it live here

http://livewire.wcvb.com/Event/117th...oston_Marathon

I hope this is over

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    I don't think it was about "wanting" it to be an American, as much as it was knowing what the alternatives could mean.
    Sorry, but bull. When Obama actively said that it was tax day, it was about hoping that it was someone on the right was responsible because it would be politically expedient. It would also confirm their own mistaken beliefs about the Tea Party and support their attempts to convince people that 9-11, the USS Cole, Benghazi, Khobar Towers, etc. are aberrations.

I wonder if the older one became radicalized and lead the younger into it (not saying he's not responsible for any of his actions, just wondering if that's how he went from 'friendly' to FB posts about women teachers--deleting it would suggest he wasn't really sure about saying things like that--and blowing up innocent bystanders.) Also, given where they're from, it's not necessarily Al Qaeda and Hamas's brand of radical jihad. There's a lot going on in that region besides religion.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Looks like the older brother was flagged as a potential terrorist two years ago and the FBI poked him.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

please can we leave the pettiness behind just for once

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    The proof that I would like to see is whether religion was a reason behind the attack. Seems like a real waste to use terror with no explanation - no one claiming responsibility (re: a group). Again, that's not often why it's done. It usually is designed to call attention to something.

With 9/11, the sites that were attacked sent a clear message. They attacked symbols of American hegemony and military might. This makes sense.

But a marathon? To protest...running?

The only other link that I can think of is knowing that the troops were doing that walk in honor of their fallen soldiers in Afghanistan, and that somehow tripped something in the brain of someone radical.
    I'm not sure that they necessarily thought beyond "big group of people." Even if they're normal jihadi and without overtones of Chechen Muslim nationalism (on the not-especially-accurate but superficially true basis that American hasn't done anything about Russia's long history of being not very nice there) they don't have to have a complex plan to strike at meaningful targets. Especially if they're a couple radical kids making up a plan that seems like a good idea to them rather than operating for any particular terrorist group. It would not be the first time a couple people who follow radical ideology decided to make their own plot up.

Currently saying suspect is down but alive and moving, but surrounded....

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Sorry, but bull. When Obama actively said that it was tax day, it was about hoping that it was someone on the right was responsible because it would be politically expedient. It would also confirm their own mistaken beliefs about the Tea Party and support their attempts to convince people that 9-11, the USS Cole, Benghazi, Khobar Towers, etc. are aberrations.
    That is one of the most paranoid, asinine posts I have read. Sometimes I just really wonder about people .....

11 members found this post helpful.