The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Sean Collier, the young MIT officer, is the brother of one of my daughter's good friends. Please let this end with no other innocent deaths.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Check this out: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/19...bi-id-suspect/

"A 27-year-old man whose legs were blown off by the Boston bombings reportedly helped FBI agents identify one of the suspects, saying the man looked him in the eye as he placed a bag filled with explosives at his feet.

"Jeff Bauman was waiting for his girlfriend to cross the finish line just before 3 p.m. Monday when a man wearing a cap, sunglasses and a black jacket dropped a bag at Bauman's feet, his brother, Chris Bauman, told Bloomberg News.

"Two and a half minutes later, the bag exploded, shredding Bauman's legs. A photo of his bloodied body being rushed by wheelchair from the scene has become an iconic image of the terrorist attack.

"He woke up under so much drugs, asked for a paper and pen and wrote, 'bag, saw the guy, looked right at me,'" Chris Bauman told Bloomberg News.

"Bauman's description to investigators at his bedside reportedly helped them zero in on suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who was killed early Friday in a shootout with police."
    Jeff was a friend of a close friend of mine's. What a courageous kid...they had a huge karaoke benefit for him last night at his favorite bar in Lowell. Craziness.

Also, the incorrect media reports of the student being from UMass Lowell (and at one point UMass Amherst) have really shaken up the community, at least here. I had a test this morning and my teacher almost called it off. Even though we're not in the lockdown area, I have noticed many more cops out on the streets...I still can't wrap my head around this whole week.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    Sean Collier, the young MIT officer, is the brother of one of my daughter's good friends. Please let this end with no other innocent deaths.
    I am so saddened by the loss of Sean. He will be known as one of the hero's from this manhunt. Prayers and comfort to his family during this sad time.

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    Those "culprits" are not Americans. They are from another country, so the blame is correctly placed in this situation... Obvioulsy not on Canada.
    nope they were naturalized Americans!

4 members found this post helpful.

It certainly has been a surreal week starting with the bombing on a day of celebration followed by ramped up security, helicopters, and now lock down / manhunt. I've lived and worked in Boston for 30 years. I feel like I woke up in a completely different city. Alice in Warland.
    \"You have two choices when a defining moment comes along - you can either define the moment, or let the moment define you.\" Tin Cup

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    nope they were naturalized Americans!
    Only the younger brother, the older had his green card.
    Kerri

I'm sure the people at salon.com are in a tizzy, too, especially the guy who wrote this article:

http://www.salon.com/2013/04/16/lets...hite_american/
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

1 members found this post helpful.

"The fact that two brothers of Chechen background are suspected in Monday's Boston Marathon bombings (one has already been killed by the police) is sure to spark a new debate about global terrorism, its origins and motives. But as we have witnessed again and again, warped minds do not have to belong to a group or have an ideology in order to wreak havoc. The assumption of coordinated plots and international movements is often more reassuring than the reality of crazed individuals (or even brothers) whose blinding hate knows no bounds."

Robert Reich
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

"The fact that two brothers of Chechen background are suspected in Monday's Boston Marathon bombings (one has already been killed by the police) is sure to spark a new debate about global terrorism, its origins and motives. But as we have witnessed again and again, warped minds do not have to belong to a group or have an ideology in order to wreak havoc. The assumption of coordinated plots and international movements is often more reassuring than the reality of crazed individuals (or even brothers) whose blinding hate knows no bounds."

Robert Reich
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I was up all night watching in horror and these many hours later I wonder--do you think the older brother sacrificed himself by walking towards the officers while firing?
    he was shot down and the younger brother ran his body over as he escaped by car.
    seems the older brother was the angrier and more volatile of the two brothers, i'm wondering where and how the violence began, trying to make sense of the non sensicle and unbelievable I guess.

Wow. This is still so hard to wrap my mind around.

But I hated how the media was treating their uncle, Ruslan. I feel like they turned into jerks and were trying to get him to spin, and not be the uncle, that didn't know those 2 boys, and amazing neighbor and member of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    Of course not. That thread conveniently disappeared,,, who was it that posted the Tea Party, or the right wing was responsible ?
    Michele Bachmann made it disappear with a witch spell.

I really think the younger brother was/is along for the ride so to speak. I think the older brother was the one wrapped up in the terrorism idea, etc and somehow convinced the younger to join him.

Either way, this is frightening..
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

It appears from one of the perp's downloads, he was no fan of Harry Potter.

This'll wad the Left's panties up big time! So much for their hoped for Tea Party connection.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Somewhere, Chris Matthews is crying.

I have never seen so many (news type) people hoping and hoping that an American killed other Americans. I was hoping it wasn't because, as an American, I can't imagine wanting to kill other Americans - especially random strangers. There are people I know IRL that I really dislike but I don't dream of killing them.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Wow. WBZ radio is reporting that there is a Police tank, yes a tank, patrolling Watertown.

For those who want to listen, WBZ is a good source. http://betaplayer.radio.com/player/wbz-newsradio-1030/

Their aunt in Toronto is trying to say they were set up or framed.
    Whatever, lady!

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeclipper View Post
    It certainly has been a surreal week starting with the bombing on a day of celebration followed by ramped up security, helicopters, and now lock down / manhunt. I've lived and worked in Boston for 30 years. I feel like I woke up in a completely different city. Alice in Warland.
    The pictures people have posted of the deserted city are absolutely eerie. It's like that scene in the movie Vanilla Sky where Times Square is completely empty.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...d-streets?lite

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    I have never seen so many (news type) people hoping and hoping that an American killed other Americans.
    This is because whatever nationality they'd turn out to be will immediately cause a certain portion of Americans to fill with immense hatred and insist that all or most of said group is intrinsically evil and must immediately be deported, and said reporters don't want to see any more prejudice and hatred.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    I was hoping it wasn't because, as an American, I can't imagine wanting to kill other Americans - especially random strangers.
    I can't either, but we Americans certainly do our fair share: CO movie theatre shooter, Gabby Giffords shooter, Columbine, Oklahoma City, VA Tech, Newtown, DC Sniper, NY State guy who lured the firemen to their deaths, Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, Jeffrey Dahmer, Charles Manson, Ted Kaczynski, Green River killer, Eric Rudolph, multiple mailbox bombers, Zodiac killer, anthrax letters, ricin letters and on and on and on and on and on. Get my point? So there is no way it would've been surprising to find out that this was more home-grown.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    This'll wad the Left's panties up big time! So much for their hoped for Tea Party connection.
    Seriously? This an absolutely disgusting and offensive comment. Human beings were murdered and maimed. The only concern on most of our minds is comforting those that have been harmed and making sure those in Boston are safe. It does not matter who perpetrated this atrocity, we all want the correct people to be caught and brought to justice.

Attitudes like yours are a huge part of the problem. We are all human beings and we should feel compassion for everyone on this planet. We should not be hoping that a particular group perpetrated this and we should not be gloating about one side being right or wrong in the face of such horrible events. We should be grieving those who were lost and injured and celebrating the thousands of people of ALL races, nationalities, religions, and political ideologies who have emerged as heroes in the face of this tragedy.

10 members found this post helpful.