The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rainechyldes View Post
    You do understand Islam is a religion right?
    If I follow your definitions - then every christian is a - hate mongering member of the Westboro Baptist Church. Thankful I'm not a christian then.
    ooo, that's right. I forgot about them in my litany of American evil doers, most of (all of?) whom were raised Christian. Yep, it's them there evil Christians causing all the trouble. After Newtown or all the other horrors, I'm sure Noms was posting, "Well well, and it WAS christians."

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    I want to know why in the hell people in this country still thing that radical muslims should be shown any respect. I am totally shocked at some of the things I am reading on here. I stayed off these threads because I had a sickening feeling people would be making excuses for terrorists.

Who is making excuses for them or "respecting" radicals? Are we reading the same thread?
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

5 members found this post helpful.

I would guess their family is more in denial out of typical family loyalty not so much being crazy. No one wants to think their family member would do this. First reaction is almost always 'not my family member, last I talked to them they were a nice person with a normal life'.

5 members found this post helpful.

Who is saying that radical anything deserve anything?

You're reading something into things that isn't there.

People *are* saying that they were hoping it wasn't Muslims because peaceful Muslims are being beaten to death by people who can't seem to see the difference between a militant and peaceful adherent to the religion.

IMO, that's not a bad wish.

8 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

It's also highly unlikely that a lot of the relatives were very connected to the two guys given how all over the map they are in their locations. How well can someone who is hundreds or thousands of miles away really say they know someone else in their family? I don't think those two guys had the money to travel all over and visit their relatives, so it probably just is wishful thinking at best for their family members.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I would guess their family is more in denial out of typical family loyalty not so much being crazy. No one wants to think their family member would do this. First reaction is almost always 'not my family member, last I talked to them they were a nice person with a normal life'.
    This. Most people want to believe the best about their friends and family and would have a hard time beiieving that someone they knew and loved could do something so heinous. I do feel sorry for the family in the US because they will forever be suspect just because they were related to the bombers.

3 members found this post helpful.

Check out the news from other countries. Here's one: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html

More photos, stories than I've seen here.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    It's also highly unlikely that a lot of the relatives were very connected to the two guys given how all over the map they are in their locations. How well can someone who is hundreds or thousands of miles away really say they know someone else in their family? I don't think those two guys had the money to travel all over and visit their relatives, so it probably just is wishful thinking at best for their family members.
    Speaking of which, were they living with relatives in Cambridge? It sounds like they've been living in the same place since they came to this country at a relatively young age.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Their aunt appears to be a few fries short of a Happy Meal. CBC News: "Toronto aunt of Boston bombing suspects says nephews 'innocent'"

Even if you set aside the marathon ... what of being identified with the carjacked Mercedes SUV, robbery of the 7-Eleven, and of course after a shootout fleeing the police in the stolen SUV dying a bomb jacket on after being run over by the other brother ...

Maybe they were just out in the night air for "their business" in those cases too. Tin foil hat wackos.
    Saw the interview, too - was interesting until she started denying their involvement, and turned it off. She did seem to really speak to the cameras purposefully, and was castigating some of the reporters ... and then I believe she said she is an attorney...
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Check out the uk link I posted. Lots of info & photos there.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Which easily could've been her statement - and left it at that - "haven't seen or spoken to them in five years but at that time they were good boys". Frankly a written statement and a request for privacy is all that should be done.

However to speak live to the media and go beyond that flat statement and venture into the absolute innocence, suggest conspiracies, and question the FBI ... that is what loses all the sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Frankly a written statement and a request for privacy is all that should be done.
    So true. And yet so rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    I want to know why in the hell people in this country still thing that radical muslims should be shown any respect. I am totally shocked at some of the things I am reading on here. I stayed off these threads because I had a sickening feeling people would be making excuses for terrorists.
    Not all mind you. Wow, people. When is this country going to stop being PC. and worry about the people in our country.
    The cowards that did this, I do not care what they masqueraded as, Nice college kids, boxers, wanted to be American. Remember the hiJackers on 9/11 immersed themselves in our culture in just the same fashion, Many people who had come in contact with them before the incident had never thought anything odd about them. That is their MO.
    What the heck?! What is YOUR suggestion? In animal terms -- let's say that a venomous spider looked an awful lot like a benign spider -- built webs, ate flies, assimilated into spider culture. But any one of these benign spiders COULD BE the venomous one. Let's just kill them all. Or do whatever in spider terms is the equivalent of hate crimes, curtailment of rights, bigotry and prejudice.

Do you have any concern whatsoever for the Muslim student or athlete that is NOT a terrorist? Or is it OK to sweep them up with the odd piece of trash? Psssst, last I checked, the good outnumber the bad in ALL religions. Even Christians.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

10 members found this post helpful.

I can imagine that I wouldn't be so eloquent were it my relatives. Actually, the horror of that is really hard to even picture.

Is anyone else old enough to remember the Weather Underground? The Weathermen (and women) were white, from "good families" and went to "good colleges." They committed armed robberies and bombed buildings. They killed people to finance their war against the US government. I was in Madison 2 weeks after the bombing there that killed a researcher in the lab on campus. One of those women is now teaching at a university in NYC.

Most parents and family members, unfortunately, take up for killers. It's denial. I cannot count the # of times that family members told me their sons (or daughters) were NOT guilty of crimes, even when they were on video committing the crimes. And with many eye witnesses. it's always "the wrong crowd" and they are always "in the wrong place at the wrong time" and it's always SODDI (some other dude did it.). I am so glad my parents considered me "guilty till I proved my innocence."

Why do muslims not like us? We haven't exactly been friendly towards muslims since the crusades. We have gone into their countries and taken their oil. We have invaded their countries to depose their "dictators." Is any of that a reason to kill innocent people in the USA? No. But go back and read the book "The Ugly American" and substitute Muslim for Vietnamese, etc.

We, as Americans, need to understand that not all cultures want to worship as we do, and have governments like we have, and have the rampant consumerism that we have. We should encourage equal rights for women and minorities in other countries (as well as here, btw) but we have to not push our values on everything onto every other country. And we have to lead by example, showing friendship and helping out, not just handing out money (Read The Ugly American) but by actions.

And we really cannot tell what goes on in people's minds. I learned that in college when a boyfriend explained to me how he wished to come back here and kill some rich boys who'd not been nice to him in high school. Tim explained to me that you really cannot know what goes on in the dark recesses of other peoples' minds. I've kept that little gem with me for decades.

But then the relatives the bombers lived with had to have known something. Like the mother of the New Town school killings had to know her son was dangerous. And she had to have some hand in turning him into the killer that he was. Who buys guns for a son who obviously had issues in school and in his social life? The Columbine killers were a prime example of parents not handling family issues, and innocent people died.

8 members found this post helpful.

I read a good book after 9/11 called "Why do they hate us". Powerful and painful book. Interestingly it was yanked from Amazon and other retailers 4 days after the occurrence. I had already ordered a copy from a book shop in the UK.

I certainly do remember the Weathermen and how they busted Timothy Leary out of prison and (I think) hustled him off to Algeria to unite with Eldridge Cleaver. Had something to do with LSD, I believe, which is why he was in prison in the first place?

I also remember the "Days of Rage" in autumn of 1969. I was a freshman in college that year.

I think a lot of younger people are not so aware of how many Americans waged war against their own government back in the late 60's and early 70's. Symbionese Liberation Army, remember them?
    Only part of me worries...the other part doesn't believe in it.
    Wings of Desire

1 members found this post helpful.

wasn't there another thread started for people who want to point fingers and argue politics or did I dream that?

I certainly do remember the Weathermen and how they busted Timothy Leary out of prison and (I think) hustled him off to Algeria to unite with Eldridge Cleaver. Had something to do with LSD, I believe, which is why he was in prison in the first place?

I also remember the "Days of Rage" in autumn of 1969. I was a freshman in college that year.

I think a lot of younger people are not so aware of how many Americans waged war against their own government back in the late 60's and early 70's. Symbionese Liberation Army, remember them?
    Only part of me worries...the other part doesn't believe in it.
    Wings of Desire

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    Again, this sort of attitude is SO disgusting. Are you seriously gloating in a time like this? How about some compassion for the victims, some appreciation of the responders and heroes who stepped in to help (many of whom were undoubtedly also of the Islamic faith, btw)? There is something wrong with you.
    You could have reprimanded Bristol Bay to whom Noms was responding. BB seems to have a problem with TEA Party members since she points out I was "defending" them. Seems she has the same kind of attitude that you're accusing Noms of having.

I didn't seem any "gloating" in Noms post - just pointing out facts.

And, really, do people here really think we think ALL Muslims are evil? I know that some of them are, just like some Christians are evil. Those Westboro Baptist cult people, for instance, are extremely evil.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com