The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

How stupid are people to be tweeting what is going on, on the police scanners. Those are for emergency personnel only, though available to the public. Common sense ( you would think ) should tell you it's not information that should be widely shared in this sort of situation.

If you need to get the information to family members then call them or send them a private message via FB or text.

The nation may need a crash course in what not to do during a terrorist attack.

Sorry if I'm being harsh, but all the sharing is just putting our emergency personnel in unnecessary danger.
    Last edited by RxCate; Apr. 19, 2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: spelling
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

10 members found this post helpful.

Our local news has been reporting that a car with Mass. plates was pulled over in Niagara Falls, containing two Russian nationals and four backpacks, and that's being searched by robots. No idea whether this is just people being jumpy or anything serious...
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Quote Originally Posted by RxCate View Post
    BREAKING NEWS: MIT police officer killed in confrontation with terror suspects was Sean Collier, 26, of Somerville, per Middlesex DA.
    26. Just a kid.

This guy isn't done yet. And I've watched enough L&O and Criminal Minds to know that this wont end with the suspect in custody - it's going to end with more lives taken.

Wearing my Harvard shirt as a show of love and support for Boston and Cambridge today. Thinking of everyone up there, and hoping you are all safe.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Anonymous found the younger brother's real twitter account. Lots of posts about soccer, nothing really suspicious or violent other than a link to the Sandy Hook conspiracy stuff (as most kids that age were circulating).

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Our local news has been reporting that a car with Mass. plates was pulled over in Niagara Falls, containing two Russian nationals and four backpacks, and that's being searched by robots. No idea whether this is just people being jumpy or anything serious...
    Holy cow. I hope it's just jumpy people!

Not that anyone could be blamed for being jumpy today.

RxCate - My work is still (presently) open. I just didn't go today.

If I hadn't checked the City's website to see if garbage collection was going to be delayed, I wouldn't have know what was going on until I got to the T station.

Police reportedly moved away from the first location. CNN news coverage quieter and not zeroed in on any specific Watertown location.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    Well, I didn't even try to go to work today. The MBTA is down, taxis aren't running. The Governor told everyone to stay inside and lock the doors.

Thank God I check the City's mobile site early this am! Saved me the effort of getting ready for work.

It really crazy here. Hard to describe.
    My husband was supposed to have a job interview in Boston earlier this week. When they were talking about it last week, I told him to avoid Monday, as the company is right near the finish line for the Marathon. After Monday, the company said they were trying to figure out when to bring him in. Late yesterday afternoon they scheduled an interview for 1:30 today. Well, that's not happening. I know other people have more serious complaints, and I'm sorry for those who live there, but we're starting to feel as if he's never going to get this interview!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    26. Just a kid.
    And the other just 19yo.

The whole idea makes me very sad.
    Sad for the victims of the violent & cowardly attack.
    Sad for the young men whose minds somehow became so warped as to participate in carrying it out.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

How stupid are people to be tweeting what is going on, on the police scanners. Those are for emergency personnel only, though available to the public. Common sense ( you would think ) should tell you it's not information that should be widely shared in this sort of situation.
    Thank you. I agree.

The scanners are silent now. The cops turned them off about a 1/2 hr ago or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    RxCate - My work is still (presently) open. I just didn't go today. .
    Gotcha, I was under the impression (haven't watched the news though) that the city has been shut down since yesterday, so was wondering why people were going in.

Sorry if I'm coming across as harsh to people, just really worried about all involved.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

And the other just 19yo.

The whole idea makes me very sad.
    Sad for the victims of the violent & cowardly attack.
    Sad for the young men whose minds somehow became so warped as to participate in carrying it out.
    I didn't know how to say this, but that's what I was thinking. These are just...kids. I mean yes - totally responsible for their actions, and yes...horrible...etc. And Yes, they need to be brought to justice...but...they are so young.

Just heartbroken all the way around.

Oh good, the car pulled over in Niagara Falls is apparently clear and people were just being overly jumpy. Glad for that bit of good news, at least.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

1 members found this post helpful.

Not being discussed?!? but banner on CNN says suspect may be in a Gray Honda CRV with Mass tags 316 ES9 - could be in CT....?!?
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

People don't change THAT quickly....someone changed them to suit their own needs...you can coerce young folk, esp. those in need....these are scapegoats....poor folks, all of them, in this situation....
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I take everything CNN says with a HUUUUUUGE grain of salt these days.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

3 members found this post helpful.

It's probably a coin toss. The authorities put the pictures of the suspects out yesterday to help find them, and they were all over social media in a heartbeat, but the flip side of the coin is all the people who are used to posting every mundane detail of their day, never mind when something interesting actually happens near them.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Not being discussed?!? but banner on CNN says suspect may be in a Gray Honda CRV with Mass tags 316 ES9 - could be in CT....?!?
    Was just about to post that.
    How did he break through the ring?
    Btw, did they ever find the Mercedes SUV they were in earlier? Surely a bullet hole riddled Merc on the side of the road would stick out like a sore thumb.

Not sure how he thinks he's going to get away, as he has a very distinctive look/face/hair that has been plastered on every Television and computer screen in the US, hell the world.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-