The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wink CBER anyone?

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Oh, my, they just keep on rolling........
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Oy...
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Thumbs down

Man! If I was doing anything like these abusers I'd be so afraid to die. God will get them for sure.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I think the photo caption for the pic of $am and the horse should be, "[whispers to horse] Smile or else -- see that truck over there?"

Truly a horrible person.

Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

"Throughout the interview she often called it a rescue organization but then corrected herself."

LMAO
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

1 members found this post helpful.

I asked Milbredt about her former 501(c)(3). She said, “CBER was a pretty cool organization. We were very successful in rescuing slaughter-bound horses. We rescued 3,500 horses in four years. Because it was new, we experienced incredible growing pains. We were supersuccessful at what we did. We didn’t have enough people. We were crazy trying to get all this work done. We were too big.” She added, “We never fought back when people started slamming us.

Wow...talk about a colossal lie. CBER had many competent, intelligent people working our A$$es off trying to get the organization to become something great. Nothing about this comment is truthful. The sad truth was Scam was greedy and really good at lying...
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Milbredt seemed confused by the controversy surrounding her. She said to me, “I go to church. I go to counseling. I’m a really, really good person. ”

I think I am going to need a diaper...............

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

'She added, “We never fought back when people started slamming us." '

I have a letter from their lawyer that illustrates that they in fact did go after/fight back against those who questioned the money raised and the myriad of other issues.

For example, the $800+ raised to put down Hamlet, a horse owned by Walker, with a broken leg, for which the Vet charged $80 to put down- I have the receipt to prove that last FACT.
    How it ended up costing $800 to put down a horse [for which the Vet charged $80] that another volunteer reported had been languishing there with that broken leg for 2 weeks right under the noses of the 'rescue'?
    Yeah lots of questions one could ask there, don't ya' think?

'...or to reimburse Camelot Farms for boarding. '
    Who owns Camelot Farm? Who profited from those payments?
    And why would the rescues line of credit have to pay board when they charged the 'adopter' for the boarding of QT horses that they REQUIRED go to Camelot and that they required be prepaid iirc.

' Milbredt said that she, for example, charges a lot of money for keeping horses at her property, Camelot Farms, during quarantine...'
    Yeah I thought so. It's her 'fathers property' but she charges alot to keep horses 'at her property'? Which is it?
    It's not hard to imagine how all of us out here get confused when Panayotopulos herself can't keep it straight.

And did she say why she calls herself Samantha Milbredt when that is not her legal name? People doing business with a name that is not their actual name smells to me.
    Last edited by Angela Freda; Feb. 9, 2012 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    I asked Milbredt about her former 501(c)(3). She said, “CBER was a pretty cool organization. We were very successful in rescuing slaughter-bound horses. We rescued 3,500 horses in four years. Because it was new, we experienced incredible growing pains. We were supersuccessful at what we did. We didn’t have enough people. We were crazy trying to get all this work done. We were too big.” She added, “We never fought back when people started slamming us.

Wow...talk about a colossal lie. CBER had many competent, intelligent people working our A$$es off trying to get the organization to become something great. Nothing about this comment is truthful. The sad truth was Scam was greedy and really good at lying...
    So true. I had started having people send in the UPC tags off feed bags to get reimbursed/raise funds. I heard those got tossed into the trash.

I worked to get several copies of 'Winning Ways' autographed by the author, and Frank Madden [he at the time had that popular show on TV] among other trainers in the book... and were those ever used to raise $$? I never heard a word about them again.

There were volunteers who went to events, and manned booths and took their adopted horses to show off.

I tried to get them to do a mailing list, to start a newsletter, to do virtual adoptions and sponsorships... and I was willing to manage it all, I was only asking for them to give the ok for it to happen.

So many people worked really hard to try to help what we all thought was a good org doing good things... but the longer we stuck around and the harder we pushed to get things organized the more we realized that we were getting a major run around and that organization was not what the people at the 'top' wanted.

I think many of us have many stories. We could write a book... Meadow and Lavender were not the only horses "dispatched" or "given to a friend" when paid by someone else. I know of two that friends paid for (I wired the money and they paid me back)... who vanished into thin air, never to be heard again. The lies... and you wonder why so many people are leery of AC4H? It's CBER all over again, except in the East. Yes, there are some true and happy stories (Nala, Kona, Jamaica, and a few others), but how many horror stories and lies? And, like a Timex watch, she keeps on ticking. WHY?

$500ish profit to the feedlot owner on ~3500 horses. Thats $1,750,000 gross for a "rescue". Can't imagine why THAT would be in question.

That second interview was just a bomb. Either her responses were some kind of "idiot" tactic or she is trying to ruin any type of credibility. Lawd that was a bad interview.

Raises hand ... I, too, worked to support an organization that I - very mistakenly - thought was trying to help horses, not feather Sam's nest and entertain her sleezy boyfriend.

I find it interesting that none of these horses are advertised on the Yakima Craigslist but they apparently do get advertised on the west side. Nor does Sam network with any of the local horse groups. Guess we know all of her tricks by now and won't "adopt" from her. Or maybe it's because we can just drive down to the lot and deal with Chuck directly, thus cutting her profit. I'll definitely have to go to the H/J meeting next week. She usually shows up. It could be interesting to see what she has to say.
    Last edited by Murphy's Mom; Feb. 10, 2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

Murphy's Mom-I have a friend that lives down in Corvallis, OR-she says the "new" CBER advertizes on their craigslist and others in the area frequently. Maybe she's just expanding southward? I warned her to stay away.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    Murphy's Mom-I have a friend that lives down in Corvallis, OR-she says the "new" CBER advertizes on their craigslist and others in the area frequently. Maybe she's just expanding southward? I warned her to stay away.
    she has certainly expanded south-east, because we get their Craigslist ads all the way down here in the Boise area of Idaho. And any attempt to post a warning heads up to anyone thinking of working with this new incarnation of CBER will be flagged and removed within an hour.
    Sheilah

I also sent funds to get a horse out with the assumption I would be paid back. Of course I never heard back. My dh recently was thinking about inquiring about one of the horses advertised but I gave him the lowdown and he was horrified. It just amazes me the lies she comes up with.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I think many of us have many stories. We could write a book
    why not start by getting together and writing an "article" back to the reporter at the Bainbridge Is news?

It could turn big enough to get exposure state or nation wide.

Bainbridge Island is a bedroom community of Seattle and as such I suspect the articles were not read by a whole lot of people.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com