The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

"Anchor baby" is one of the most disgusting terms I can think of that's used in the current political climate. These children are AMERICAN CITIZENS, as per the US Constitution.

The Chinese Exclusion Act was repealed 70 years ago. The 1850s saw massive discrimination against Irish people.

Just look how far we've come!
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Yes the children are citizens. Their parents and possibly their siblings are not. Part of me feels bad when a mother or father is deported leaving a child behind. However, those parents knew this was a possibility when they illegally enter this country.

I feel for those living near the boarder. I live in a county with a large immigrant population, both legal and illegal. Most of the fatal drunk driving accidents since I've lived here have been caused by illegal immigrants. There's also a large MS-13 contingent. The funny thing is the wealthier counties just north welcome them with open arms - except it's too expensive for them to live there!

1 members found this post helpful.

1) When you say bilingual, you do not mean Chinese, Japanese, German, etc. Only one foreign speaking group refuses to rapidly learn english.

2) Teenagers used to do the scut work jobs for minimum wage, and were glad to have them, because mom and dad were not giving them their first car free, and they did not need a living wage or health benefits. How many teenagers will do that these days?

3) The really hard labor, low pay, farm jobs, in my California experience, were done by legal temporary Brasero Program workers. They took their money back to Mexico in the fall. They did not have the best conditions while working in the fields, but it was entirely voluntary on their part and temporary.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcreek View Post
    1) When you say bilingual, you do not mean Chinese, Japanese, German, etc. Only one foreign speaking group refuses to rapidly learn english.
    The Chinese? You ever been to Chinatown in a large US city? You will encountre a LOT of non English speakers. The kids speak English though.

The Germans? There were German speaking communities in many parts ofthe US from Penn to south central Texas, all the way up to the second decade of the 1900's (when a certain war made it not cool to be German speaking). I have known people in my lifetime that grew up in those communities and whose parents and/or grandparents didn't speak English. The kids spoke English though.

The Mexicans? Their kids speak English though.

So how is it any different?

And Btw, most Mexican immigrant make some attempt to learn English. However, if you have no basic education, and you can BARELY READ AND WRITE in your own language, then it's makes it kind of hard to learn a new language.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    What is your tax rate per $100?
    It's on that link under taxing jurisdiction. There are several parts to it for the hospital, schools, city, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post
    "Anchor baby" is one of the most disgusting terms I can think of that's used in the current political climate. These children are AMERICAN CITIZENS, as per the US Constitution.

The Chinese Exclusion Act was repealed 70 years ago. The 1850s saw massive discrimination against Irish people.

Just look how far we've come!
    What would you call a Mexican citizen who waits until they are in labor, and staggers to the POE, and then complains that she's ill, so a US ambulance is called and she has a kid here? That kid is her anchor to the US and all of it's welfare programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey the Marcher View Post
    The Mexicans? Their kids speak English though.
    Not always

And Btw, most Mexican immigrant make some attempt to learn English. .
    No they don't. I live on the border, and see it firsthand.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    No they don't. I live on the border, and see it firsthand.
    I live in a border state and work in a construction industry for the last 30 years. I have known literally 100s if not 1000s of mexican immigrants. Invariably all 2nd generation speak English.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey the Marcher View Post
    I live in a border state and work in a construction industry for the last 30 years. I have known literally 100s if not 1000s of mexican immigrants. Invariably all 2nd generation speak English.
    Then maybe that is different from el paso where it is 80% Hispanic.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    First, I'll argue there are closer to 20 million illegals living in this country and second, mandatory E-Verify would curb both employers hiring illegal workers and illegals applying for jobs.
    Certainly removing the ability to work puts pressure on an undocumented person. But it still does not answer my question.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

kathy s. is online now Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    What would you call a Mexican citizen who waits until they are in labor, and staggers to the POE, and then complains that she's ill, so a US ambulance is called and she has a kid here? That kid is her anchor to the US and all of it's welfare programs.

And it doesn't only apply to Mexicans...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/29/us...anted=all&_r=0
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

Immigrants and failure to learn English...debunked by Harvard.

http://hepg.org/her/booknote/54

And:

Successive generations of immigrants do learn English ...
    Thirteen percent of Californian immigrant children ages 5 to 18 do not speak English well or at all. Second-generation children (with at least one parent born outside the U.S.) speak English at higher levels of fluency—only 4% do not speak English or do not speak it well. By the third generation (both parents born in the U.S.), all young people report that they speak English at least "well," and the vast majority (96%) do not report speaking another language at home.

That's pretty typical for immigrants from other nations in U.S. history. Unfortunately, America has a history of denigrating and demeaning immigrants from many countries, for example, Italians, the Irish, the Chinese....
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    I have nothing really to add to this argument - my brain shuts down when trying to deal with the issues on both sides and the conflict of morality it presents on both sides.

However, I just wanted to say that $12k a year in property taxes is a robbery! If you don't have the best schools, the best infrastructure and the best FD and PD, then color me confused!

Ok, now that I have researched this claim online, I am wondering if you meant 1200, not 12,000. It would appear that nobody, even in CT, MA, CA, NY or DC/Northern VA/MD pays that much, so I really want some clarification!
    Texas elects not to have income tax, and has a moderate/low sales tax, so it's not a surprise that they have higher property taxes. Tax burden overall ends up being in the same range as other states.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I agree. And as a mechanism for becoming an American citizen under current law, highly inefficient. The baby will have to grow up and get a job and be well into his twenties at least before he can sponsor family members for immigration, and then that new waiting period starts.

Walt Disney, Henry Ford, Frank Sinatra, were all 'anchor babies'.

I lived in Southern California most of my life.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    I agree. And as a mechanism for becoming an American citizen under current law, highly inefficient. The baby will have to grow up and get a job and be well into his twenties at least before he can sponsor family members for immigration, and then that new waiting period starts.

Walt Disney, Henry Ford, Frank Sinatra, were all 'anchor babies'.

I lived in Southern California most of my life.
    Point of fact, while Henry Ford's father was an Irish immigrant, his mother was born and raised in Michigan. So he wasn't and anchor baby.
    Likewise with Walt Disney, his mother was born and raised in the US.
    Both of Frank Sinatra's parents were born in Italy, but they met in the New Jersey, so he was conceived on American soil.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

Oh my. So you want to be the sex police now too? Sex inside the US is better than outside?

"Don't tread on me," indeed.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

And people wonder why we have so few politicians willing to reach across the aisle.

It's because one leaves oneself open to hamhanded distortions, like the linked billboard, from the bigger dipshites on both sides, .

Lindsey's the only Republican I've voted for in years, and I'll probably keep voting for him, because he sees solutions, not parties. But whatever. Lindsey's used to SC politics. The little man who did this billboard couldn't even carry Lee Atwater's toolbox.

Oh my. So you want to be the sex police now too? Sex inside the US is better than outside?

"Don't tread on me," indeed.
    WTF are you talking about???

I have no problem with anyone being born in the US being a US citizen, whether their mom crossed the border the day before they were born, or if their family have been here for the last 2 millenia... it is their CONSTITUTIONAL right.
    Jesus, I'm on your side of the argument for goddsakes.

I was merely correcting Poltroon claim that the quoted three people were "anchor" babies. They were not. It doesn't help anyone's argument to quote incorrect facts.

Jesus wept.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcreek View Post

2) Teenagers used to do the scut work jobs for minimum wage, and were glad to have them, because mom and dad were not giving them their first car free, and they did not need a living wage or health benefits. How many teenagers will do that these days?

3) The really hard labor, low pay, farm jobs, in my California experience, were done by legal temporary Brasero Program workers. They took their money back to Mexico in the fall. They did not have the best conditions while working in the fields, but it was entirely voluntary on their part and temporary.
    It is ironic that Ceasar Chavez was against illegal immigration.