The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Here's one of the best pieces I've read on the immigration debate:
    http://www.redstate.com/2013/04/19/h...n-deform-bill/

A little long but worth the read.

We, as a country, can't afford this. We don't enforce the laws we already have.
    We hand out food stamps, free education, housing subsidies, medical care, etc. to illegals.

We have who knows what slipping through the southern borders. Americans living along the borders aren't safe in their own homes. Several million over stay their visas and nothing is done about it. The 9/11 hijackers were here on visas
    and believe all had overstayed them. Most of those who will given amnesty are
    not very well educated or skilled. No country that is a welfare state which we have become can last long with open borders.

Mexico has a much lower unemployment rate and three times the rate of GDP growth than the US. Why the rush here other than for the benefits? Border crossings have surged since last year's "Dream Act/Decree."

Our immigration laws are probably the laxest in the world and what there is not
    enforced unless you are trying to get here legally. That seems to take years.
    Why?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    Again - I have no issue with requirements to be here. I have no issue with closing some loopholes and making it less attractive to be here illegally.

But there is no way for them to immigrate legally.

So simultaneously, we should probably reform that process.
    I agree. The LEGAL process needs to be changed and happen much more quickly.
    But I think that those here illegally need to be deported, or offered the chance to serve a 6 yr enlistment in the military and be given the opportunity to stay here legally after completing it honorably. I don't think we should just let people that broke our laws to enter illegally stay. And I think that government assistance should only be given to citizens.

3 members found this post helpful.

Ok, ignoring that for a minute - can you Guys address the employer issue? I'd love to hear your opinions on it :-) Genuinely.
    I think it ought to be a crime to hire illegal workers. Fine the people employing illegal aliens. It would deter them from doing it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    Kathy. Immigrants, legal and illegal, come here and work their butts off for low wages. They do not get, nor do they expect, perks for "free". How are they a drain on others? Please tell me - how do they directly drain our economy? It seems as though the contribute because they work for such low wages and no benefits. They also aren't eligible for welfare or disability, so must WORK. Their children may be citizens, but that makes them eligible for school and college. Please explain how American children of illegal immigrants are a drain on society compared to the average American child.
    The schools are not allowed to verify citizenship or status of if someone is here legally. They ask for an address within the district. The illegal aliens here give the address of a friend or relative, and it is not checked. Half of the cars picking up kids at school or dropping off in the morning, have Mexico plates. Apartments and houses in the not as nice sections of town usually have several families living there illegally, that they let attend public school here (they actually qualify because they live in the district, even if illegally).
    The C.H.I.P. program for kid's health insurance accepts children of illegal aliens, and children that are here illegally. The ads they run actually encourage illegal aliens to enroll their kids in it.
    Our hospital is in the red due to treating illegal aliens, and illegal alien pregnant women who go to the border, and then complain they are in labor as they cross into the customs area. Border patrol/customs calls an ambulance who brings them to our county hospital so they have their anchor baby there, and receive free health care. Those children then become eligible for welfare/food stamps.
    Most illegal aliens, if they have a car, don't carry insurance, so if you get hit by one, you are out of luck, and have to claim it against your uninsured motorist policy, and then pay your deductible, and get your rates raised.

5 members found this post helpful.

With all due respect, BasqueMom, you are quoting a right wing blogger...evidenced by the name of the blog. Again, the piece fails to address the people who hire and create the market for illegal immigrants. Why? People wouldn't come here if they couldn't get lucrative jobs and housing. As the article says, "The expressed purpose of the open-borders lobby, at least on the Republican side, is to bring in cheap labor." If we target the people who create the jobs for this cheap labor, we create the best disincentive for people to come to the U.S. illegally. In my opinion, our immigration laws are the way that they are because too many wealthy people benefit greatly from hiring illegal immigrants. Why are there not strict laws targeting the people who hire illegal immigrants? WHy is the focus on the immigrants rather than the wealthy people who hire them? Why the surge in immigration? Because the gap between the rich and poor in America has grown tremendously since the 80's, and many wealthy people hire cheap labor rather than Americans. Speaking of cheap labor, cheap labor is the source of Zuckerburg and big tech's push to increase the number of visas given to foreigners. Cheap labor and training to outsource American jobs to Asia and India. What do you think about that? Do you support it?
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    The schools are not allowed to verify citizenship or status of if someone is here legally. They ask for an address within the district. The illegal aliens here give the address of a friend or relative, and it is not checked. Half of the cars picking up kids at school or dropping off in the morning, have Mexico plates. Apartments and houses in the not as nice sections of town usually have several families living there illegally, that they let attend public school here (they actually qualify because they live in the district, even if illegally).
    The C.H.I.P. program for kid's health insurance accepts children of illegal aliens, and children that are here illegally. The ads they run actually encourage illegal aliens to enroll their kids in it.
    Our hospital is in the red due to treating illegal aliens, and illegal alien pregnant women who go to the border, and then complain they are in labor as they cross into the customs area. Border patrol/customs calls an ambulance who brings them to our county hospital so they have their anchor baby there, and receive free health care.
    Children born here are citizens, that's what I was referring to. Those children are like other kids going through the school system. My argument is that many illegal immigrants are here because people in the US hire them. For example, the VAST majority of the barns I know in Texas are run by illegal Mexicans who drive US licensed trucks. I lived in three border states and pretty much never saw Mexican plates. You are right, the CHIP program takes all kids. I'm not saying that no one comes to America to have an anchor baby. But the majority of illegal immigrants in America are here because there is work for them. Do you deny that? What do you think should happen to employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants? Do you think the fines and penalties should be larger than they are? Do you think that illegal immigration would be better controlled if we targeted the people who hire illegal immigrants?

Children born here are citizens, that's what I was referring to. Those children are like other kids going through the school system. My argument is that many illegal immigrants are here because people in the US hire them. For example, the VAST majority of the barns I know in Texas are run by illegal Mexicans who drive US licensed trucks. I lived in three border states and pretty much never saw Mexican plates. You are right, the CHIP program takes all kids. I'm not saying that no one comes to America to have an anchor baby. But the majority of illegal immigrants in America are here because there is work for them. Do you deny that? What do you think should happen to employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants? Do you think the fines and penalties should be larger than they are? Do you think that illegal immigration would be better controlled if we targeted the people who hire illegal immigrants?
    Answered your questions in posts above.

Answered your questions in posts above.
    Which post answers the questions I posed? I didn't see answers in your more recent posts, which is why I specifically asked those questions. Thanks.

kathy s. is online now Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Which post answers the questions I posed? I didn't see answers in your more recent posts, which is why I specifically asked those questions. Thanks.
    Once again, take the time to read this thread. It is not our job to repeat ourselves b/c you are too lazy to read past posts. Thanks.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

Not lazy, didn't remember it was you who suggested mandatory e-verify, which is a rather brief mention. Are you suggesting that for individuals as well as organizations? Like, hiring a gardener or a nanny?

I have nothing really to add to this argument - my brain shuts down when trying to deal with the issues on both sides and the conflict of morality it presents on both sides.

However, I just wanted to say that $12k a year in property taxes is a robbery! If you don't have the best schools, the best infrastructure and the best FD and PD, then color me confused!

Ok, now that I have researched this claim online, I am wondering if you meant 1200, not 12,000. It would appear that nobody, even in CT, MA, CA, NY or DC/Northern VA/MD pays that much, so I really want some clarification!
    Last edited by Eye in the Sky; Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: ETA more info
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

We pay over 12000.00 a yr for property taxes.
    This is the quote - having issues with trying to quote things on COTH today.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Not lazy, didn't remember it was you who suggested mandatory e-verify, which is a rather brief mention. Are you suggesting that for individuals as well as organizations? Like, hiring a gardener or a nanny?
    I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    I have nothing really to add to this argument - my brain shuts down when trying to deal with the issues on both sides and the conflict of morality it presents on both sides.

However, I just wanted to say that $12k a year in property taxes is a robbery! If you don't have the best schools, the best infrastructure and the best FD and PD, then color me confused!

Ok, now that I have researched this claim online, I am wondering if you meant 1200, not 12,000. It would appear that nobody, even in CT, MA, CA, NY or DC/Northern VA/MD pays that much, so I really want some clarification!
    No. 12000.00
    I don't want to give out my address, so I found a home within a street of mine, that has a home value within 2000.00 of the taxable value of mine. Here is the link. Look at taxing jurisdiction, and amount of taxes.
    http://www.epcad.org/clientdb/Proper...prop_id=296844

Original Poster

I am.

Me too.

Non only does oblameo administration want to give illegal aliens amnesty, he aslo does not feel that criminal detainees in arizona and texas need to stay in custody.,,, They all were released by janet incompetano and ICE, to committ more crimes against americans!!

No. 12000.00
    I don't want to give out my address, so I found a home within a street of mine, that has a home value within 2000.00 of the taxable value of mine. Here is the link. Look at taxing jurisdiction, and amount of taxes.
    What is your tax rate per $100?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    What is your tax rate per $100?
    Here, it depends if it is agricultural, industrial, commercial, residential, etc.

A restaurant sitting on 1/4 an acre is taxed much higher than a ranch style two bedroom or if it is part of a cotton field.

Original Poster

No. 12000.00
    Yep, the value of our small mini-ranchette increased by $61,000+ in one year. Our vehicle insurance has increased to nearly $200 per month (2 full coverage, 1 liability only) and we are both 50+ with my one and only ticket in 1996. If an illegal hits you, they are usually sent on their way (no insurance) leaving you to pay increased premiums. I know this first hand. Politicians that think giving illegals drivers licenses will encourage them to purchase insurance, are naive and/or think we are idiots. Why should illegals buy insurance when they've been allowed to get away with not doing so all this time? Police just let them go.
    Again, only law abiding citizens obey the law.

Original Poster

double post....again. Sorry