The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Solution to Amnesty

It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ditto.

We need to dramatically improve our immigration process and path to citizenship, but I think that anyone here illegally (except for those brought here illegally as children), needs to be deported and refused legal entry for a large number of years. Anything else rewards illegally entering the country.
    Living on the border I see what it does to the city, having so many illegal aliens taking advantage of our services. And many who have lived here for 10 yrs or more make no attempt to learn English and want their kids taught in Spanish. I think being able to read and speak English should be a requirement for anyone wanting to stay here.

8 members found this post helpful.

kathy s. is online now Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Ditto.

We need to dramatically improve our immigration process and path to citizenship, but I think that anyone here illegally (except for those brought here illegally as children), needs to be deported and refused legal entry for a large number of years. Anything else rewards illegally entering the country.
    Living on the border I see what it does to the city, having so many illegal aliens taking advantage of our services. And many who have lived here for 10 yrs or more make no attempt to learn English and want their kids taught in Spanish. I think being able to read and speak English should be a requirement for anyone wanting to stay here.
    I agree.

http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/20...ree-education/
    It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

I just feel the need to point out that the families with the longest documented continuous presence in the United States speak Spanish, Navajo, etc. The oldest continuous seat of government in the US is Santa Fe, NM, which predates even Jamestown.

To be bilingual is a gift and I wish all our kids had the opportunity to learn two languages in elementary school. It's as important and valuable as Algebra.

People are here illegally because they are working, typically working for employers who choose not to meet the employment standards that citizens expect and require. Many of them are in fact skilled workers. If undocumented people are using your emergency rooms, for example (and I'm assuming you know that because you asked their status), you might wonder why their employers don't provide medical insurance or workman's comp and are leaving the taxpayers to pick up the tab.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    I just feel the need to point out that the families with the longest documented continuous presence in the United States speak Spanish, Navajo, etc. The oldest continuous seat of government in the US is Santa Fe, NM, which predates even Jamestown.

To be bilingual is a gift and I wish all our kids had the opportunity to learn two languages in elementary school. It's as important and valuable as Algebra.

People are here illegally because they are working, typically working for employers who choose not to meet the employment standards that citizens expect and require. Many of them are in fact skilled workers. If undocumented people are using your emergency rooms, for example (and I'm assuming you know that because you asked their status), you might wonder why their employers don't provide medical insurance or workman's comp and are leaving the taxpayers to pick up the tab.
    Wonderful. Now tell me why if you go into other countries illegally, you are arrested and deported. Certainly not given medical care, housing, education, food stamps, and other benefits...
    The "workers" aren't getting employer paid insurance because they are here ILLEGALLY and don't typically work for companies that check residency, or provide insurance. Jobs like yardwork, home repair, maid service etc, where they are self employed.

9 members found this post helpful.

The "workers" aren't getting employer paid insurance because they are here ILLEGALLY and don't typically work for companies that check residency, or provide insurance. Jobs like yardwork, home repair, maid service etc, where they are self employed.
    They are picking your food. They are washing dishes at restaurants you frequent. They may be feeding your horse, or the horses of many people on this board. Few, in my experience, are truly self-employed. And even if they are, they are still paid by Americans... who for whatever reason didn't care to check the employment eligibility of the worker. Many do pay taxes to the IRS, and of course they pay sales tax on anything they buy.

I agree, the law is a mess and it needs to come more in line with what is practical and appropriate and what meets everyone's needs. Having a large class of undocumented workers is not good for the country. We need to figure out under what terms we want people to be able to come and how we want to fill jobs picking strawberries and lettuce and pears and grapes and the like. Or, maybe we'd rather just let our food be grown in other countries - also an option.

But every time you get lettuce for $1 or a pound of strawberries for $2, you're benefitting. Everyone who looks the other way when their horse is at a barn that doesn't hire legal workers or pay workman's comp is benefitting.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

13 members found this post helpful.

I would feel a lot more sympathetic to those rallying for citizenship if they wrote their signs in English and waved American flags.

I will grant that many have a pretty good work ethic & will do many of the jobs that many unemployed Americans will not. That doesn't change the fact that they are here illegally, and if they found themselves in a similar situation in many other countries, they'd be in jail (and not a nice one).

13 members found this post helpful.

Ditto.

So we're going to deport about 11 Million people? Are we going to put them in cattle cars and train them to the border? I know some guys who do WWII SS impressions. I'll bet we could get them to ride on top of the cars. That will make a GREAT photo-op.

If we're not going to use cattle cars how are we going to do it? Unlike the above this is not a facetious question. There's an old saying that "amateurs study tactics and professionals study logistics." Outline for us the logistics of moving 11 Million people out of our borders.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    Having been born and raised in a little town just North of Santa Fe, I can tell you that all of those Spanish and Native Americans speak English, in fact a good many of the Spanish there don't speak that much Spanish.

Well said red mares.

I forget who came up with the phrase, but the "high walls with wide gates" philosophy works for me. A well-defined path where they can come here legally, under probation and with background checks, and start a path to citizenship.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

5 members found this post helpful.

I too think being bi -lingual is a great benefit.
    however, as a country we should offer multi language signs for tourists, not for people who come here to live and become a part of who we are.

imo they need to learn our language, not the opposite.

4 members found this post helpful.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    So we're going to deport about 11 Million people? Are we going to put them in cattle cars and train them to the border? I know some guys who do WWII SS impressions. I'll bet we could get them to ride on top of the cars. That will make a GREAT photo-op.

If we're not going to use cattle cars how are we going to do it? Unlike the above this is not a facetious question. There's an old saying that "amateurs study tactics and professionals study logistics." Outline for us the logistics of moving 11 Million people out of our borders.

G.

First, I'll argue there are closer to 20 million illegals living in this country and second, mandatory E-Verify would curb both employers hiring illegal workers and illegals applying for jobs.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    I would feel a lot more sympathetic to those rallying for citizenship if they wrote their signs in English and waved American flags.

I will grant that many have a pretty good work ethic & will do many of the jobs that many unemployed Americans will not. That doesn't change the fact that they are here illegally, and if they found themselves in a similar situation in many other countries, they'd be in jail (and not a nice one).
    Yes, we have many here who fly Mexican flags in front of their homes, or if they are considerate enough to fly both, they do...with the Mexican flag on top.

Until you live in a border town you have no idea of how devastating to the economic infrastructure it can be to have a large number of illegal aliens living there. Our property taxes are the highest in the state. We pay over 12000.00 a yr for property taxes. Our county hospital and schools take a large amount of that. We have buses that go to the border and transport kids from mexico to our public schools. When school gets out, you see the parking lots/pick up areas filled with cars with Mexican license plates. The schools are not allowed to verify residency. They require the parent/guardian to provide an address in the district. So many use a friend's or relative's address. But the schools do not verify that the student lives there.

We have ads running in Spanish encouraging illegal aliens to sign their kids up for CHIP...children's health insurance paid for by the Texas tax payers. It even states in the application that residency will not be checked.

They are building a toll road that will go across the city here. They have publicly stated that those with Mexican plates will not be forced to pay the tolls or prosecuted for not paying the toll, as they have no way to collect unpaid fees, since it goes against the individual when they re-register their car.

Our county hospital is owed millions in uncollected payments from mexican citizens. They can't file collection accts against them since they have no social security number. Yet the hospital is required to provide care. We often receive calls at the bridge (POE), for ambulances for an "Ill woman", who is then found to be in labor. They then transport to the US, and VOILA, another anchor baby is born, entitling mom to all sorts of benefits that the US taxpayers/Texas taxpayers pay for.

8 members found this post helpful.

. We pay over 12000.00 a yr for property taxes. Our county hospital and schools take a large amount of that.....
    Is that right twelve thousand a year? I guess El Paso is off our retirement list (it was the top choice on our list).

I think being able to read and speak English should be a requirement for anyone wanting to stay here.
    Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    My usual reply to these comments in this link.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

2 members found this post helpful.

Leaving the language issue aside.

The concept of who lived somewhere first is silly because modern humans have been living on this planet for about 200,000 years.

Addressing the language issue,
    IMO, being able to speak the language of the current majority would seem make the most practical sense.

Not always easy for the older folks. My MIL, who came here legally, was old enough that it is very difficult for her.

We were supposed to be the home for those who wanted an opportunity, and now we've decided we're full up. Somewhere on the web there was a really great quiz that you put your heritage in and as much family history as you could in, and it would tell you whether your relatives could get in, today.

Very instructive.

I don't doubt that we have issues related to immigration, but I think we're thinking about this the wrong way.

Original Poster

From Thomas Sowell;

Why are there immigration laws in the first place? For the benefit of the American people -- not for the benefit of people in other countries who want to come here.

But political and media elites treat the American people as if they are the problem -- a problem to be circumvented with sophistry and pious promises about border securit y that have not been kept in all these years since the last amnesty, decades ago.

So true.

6 members found this post helpful.

Why do the pols give the 20 million illegals more consideration than the 300 million american citizens!

I think all the illegals need to go back from where they came.

Where were your ancestors from, Noms?