The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Selling the Farm

Anyone have any recommendations for a real estate agent in the Metro West area of MA?

After moving to another state and renting the house for the past 3 years, we decided it is time to sell the farm. I did have the farm previously listed with a Realtor that specialized in Equine Properties, but was very disappointed in the results, feedback, lack of interest in property, etc.

Really sad, since that was the realtor we used when I purchased the property over 10 years ago. Price is not an issue, many upgrades and I dropped my price 30% less than what I originally purchased for

Appreciate any thoughts, advice.... Thanks!

1 members found this post helpful.

i am in VA so i don't have any agent leads for you.

but what i did want say is that price is ALWAYS the issue. regardless of what you paid for your property 10+ years ago, you need to know the current comparable properties that have sold recently and what they sold for. you also have to be very realistic about the current condition of the property. does everything need a new coat of paint, what's the condition of the land/landscaping, how old is the roof, etc.

it's still a buyers market out there and if you want to get the most for your real estate you really have to make sure your property shows extremely well. for you this might mean waiting until your renters are out (or buying them out) so that you can stage your property to it's best.
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

2 members found this post helpful.

My farm is for sale, too. Can't help you with agent contacts, sorry. It totally blows that you had to drop your price to below what you paid, but you mentioned price is not an issue. The house will sell for a price that the market dictates, and equestrian properties are a niche market. Like my husband says, "there's an a$$ for every chair" you just have to wait for the right buyer to come along.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Ginette Brockway. Www.Homesandhorses.com.

No recommendations except to comment that farm sales takes a loooong time. I'm not saying there isn't a case where someone comes along the first day to buy the place, but that's rare. Many farms stay on the market for a year or longer. The market is better now than it was 3 years ago. Also keep in mind that farm financing is harder to get than home financing. The buyer is likely to need a large down payment. We needed 30% down to buy our farm because of the amount of land involved. One thing to consider -- can you rent with an option to buy? That might be the easiest way to get a sale given there are people who want farms but just don't have the down payment.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com