The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Show Entry Question

I'm dipping my toe this summer into a few recognized dressage shows on my recently purchased young horse.

It is my understanding that for Training level a USEF horse registration is not necessary. Can someone confirm that? (At least that's what I got from a recent USDF publication.) The horse has a USDF ID number--but no USEF number. I have both USDF and USEF memberships. The horse competed at one USDF recognized show at Training last year with his previous owner. I can't get the verification site to print with only a USDF number as it seems to want both numbers before it will let me continue. How do I verify?

Some shows offer Opportunity classes. Those classes do not require all the memberships. Read the prize list of the show you want to attend and it should explain it...although I found deciphering the prize list one of the first major challenges of licensed shows!

1 members found this post helpful.

If he competed last year, you can check and see if he has a HID #
    http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/Searche...Recording.aspx

If you do not know the show name of the horse, search by owner name, etc.

Last time I asked about this, yes ... both USDF and USEF numbers are required for the horse as well as rider. At that time the two organizations did not share records. As far as I know, they still don't, since the USEF horse of the year awards are not concurrent with USDF (regional).

The numbers are not required for "opportunity" classes, as SFVA says, but results of those classes aren't recorded nor do they count to any year-end awards.

For most reliable local information, contact a show secretary for one of the shows you're thinking of attending.

And good luck!
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

Not true. The horse only needs USDF HID to enter any regular class at any level at a recognized show. You will be scored and placed with the class like any other ride. Those scores will not be eligible for regional championship qualifications, or any year-end award from USDF or USEF.

The rider and owner (if different) need memberships with both organizations or pay non-member fees to compete in a recognized show.

You only need the USDF horse number. You do not need a USEF horse number unless you want to compete at the regional championships.

Thank you all!

I got my entry mailed and hopefully all is ok even though I never quite figured out how to confirm the USDF number since the verification site wouldn't print a USDF number without a USEF number (or even if I needed to confirm a USDF number!)

Coming from eventing where all the info you need for an entry is published on a single page, a 40+ page prize list is a bit daunting!!