The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I always have barn kitties I'm looking to place, and I help with the BARCS barn cat program linked to up above. I don't come to this board very often, so feel free to email me at eharty@gmail.com for more info.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    I don't know where you are, but our local humane society GIVES barn cats, that are spayed/neutered/UTD/microchipped to good barn homes. Another lady and I trap many ferals around our little "Mayberry" and she works with the younger ones and gets them pretty tame. They do very well as barn cats -- please help your local humane society or other rescue groups! I am in Shelby County (South of B'ham), AL, contact me if I can help!
    PennyG

My inbox is NOT full!
    This must be a regional thing regarding adoptions. We saw some cat's pictures online from several shelters that were on the list to be euthanized because their time was up. We would have been glad to pay the $150 adoption fee per cat and yet the workers were horrified at the idea of them living in a tack room in a barn. We were told on the phone that it was too nice of a cat to live in a barn! As if death was a better option. Very frustrating. Very easy to find unwanted barn cats but we actually wanted to help out these shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    Local spca, craigslist, the woods...I'm surprised you don't have strays coming around. I have 6 barn cats. 4 I meant to have, 2 just showed up. I bet I could catch the newest stray if you don't mind spaying/neutering, it's a gorgeous sleek long black cat with bright yellow eyes. I named it Sam lol.
    Seriously. My mother says she will never go attempt to get a cat. Just wait long enough and more show up. I tell her the barn has a secret cat hobo sign somewhere that says "a kind-hearted woman lives here" or "free room and board". She's trying to get RID of the latest one--big black tom (who's actually a huge mush) because he fights with the tripod and jumps the orange cat, but then Tripod beats up the orange cat, too.

If you are stuck near Atlantic City and can give you one of mine. Mine are great mousers. They are mostly black and white mixes like little "Paints"
    Mine are all fixed with shots.
    ML

When I got my wonderful barn kitty, I went to our local animal shelter and just watched all the young cats and kittens. Hard to decide because some were begging me to "pick me, pick me" but I ended up taking the one that payed more attention to trying to catch an errant fly that was buzzing his cage. He would come and say hello but go right back to trying to catch that fly. He came home with me and was the best barn cat possible. He is now older and arthritic and is my at home buddy to my family and best friends with my two dogs. He has very much earned his keep! If I ever looked for another barn cat, my criteria would be the same. Not shy of people at all but prefers to chase anything that moves!

Good criteria, but did you get any resistance from the shelter about wanting the cat to live in the barn?

Quote Originally Posted by password View Post
    Good criteria, but did you get any resistance from the shelter about wanting the cat to live in the barn?
    Don't tell them

4 members found this post helpful.

I think whether or not a shelter has a barn cat program is regional, when I was looking for one years ago our local shelter would not adopt out for a barn cat but now they have a newish program where they will adopt out "unadoptables" to farms and businesses looking for mousers.

I suppose their board of directors came around to the idea that potential accidental death it is a better option than certain death for a cat....

When we got our cat, they still had a "no barn cat" policy, but we still ended up getting one from the shelter "under the table". It was all very clandestine, the cat was supposed to be euthanized due to his bad temperament. We still have him, 10 years later and he has only bitten a few people
    Last edited by Mozart; Apr. 25, 2013 at 04:13 PM.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

2 members found this post helpful.

Call every vet in your area. Go to the local shelters/rescues/humane societies. I know that humane society of which TKR writes and they are great. Surely PA/MD/DE humane societies do the same!?!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

We built our barn so no barn cats when we moved in. So my husband & I went looking for a barn cat(s)...shelters, craigslist, neighbors, etc... I really wanted a calico (don't know why just always wanted one). About a year after our barn was done, a cat moved in and delivered three kittens and one was a calico!!

We now have two great barn/house cats. I actually think we had more mice in our house than the barn so that is why the cats started indoors. As far as the third kitten and mom they moved to our neighbors barn. I'm under the belief that barn cats choose you.

But I did get all four of them neutered & spayed.....No one wants to be known as the crazy cat person!

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

All cats are not meant to be barn cats. Good barn cats are ones you can feed, and they will still hunt. They hunt for fun, or are driven to hunt. Some you feed, and they're done doing anything else. I'm also of the school that the best ones will find you.

We had one show up that took 6 weeks to catch. It looked like a female, so we took it to the vet to be spayed. The vet called later that day and told us they didn't spay her, but neutered him. He's a good one, but no one can get within 20 feet of him. He does cut down on songbirds, and butterflies, but have seen no sign of mouse since he's been here. He can jump 6 feet in the air to catch something, and is always hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Seriously. My mother says she will never go attempt to get a cat. Just wait long enough and more show up. I tell her the barn has a secret cat hobo sign somewhere that says "a kind-hearted woman lives here" or "free room and board".
    same with my mom. i have counted over FIFTY (no exaggeration!) hanging around the barn. there are 5 that come in and out, 2 indoor only, and the rest are feral (although many of them will let HER pet them, since she's the food dispenser, they won't go near anyone else). never seen a mouse in the barn and had no problem with them stealing my grain, big surprise if you want one, let me know! she's in PA!
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE