The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where can I get a barn cat?

I thought this would be an easier process!

I have a serious mouse problem in my tack room but for some reason I hate the idea of putting out traps (basically I don't want to see them dead.. even though I don't want to see them alive either!).

I've put the word out that I'd like a barn cat, to horse friends, a vet tech friend, work friends... and nothing!

I have my own cat but he's been a house cat since he was a kitten so I'm not going to let him loose. The barn has a nice tack room and it's not near a busy road. I'd make sure it was cared for and vaccinated.

There was a person who posted on COTH that worked with a feral cat organization, but her inbox is full.

Any help?

I'm in SE PA/ MD/ DE area.

I posted and look on craigslist when my trainer was looking for 2 barn cats. I got a lot of 'I think my 10 year old, declawed, indoor cat would be perfect!', but ended finding two PERFECT, sweet, experienced barn kitties
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Good idea.. although CraigsList sort of scares me!!

I have several that are fixed utd, some more friendly than others,youthful mousers..........and I am near valley forge, king of Prussia......................what colors do you want?.....lol

2 members found this post helpful.

My vet always has "home wanted" ads on their bulletin board, or you could check out local pet stores (not a store that sells animals, but maybe a Superpets - a lot of time foster agencies have cats there). Or maybe the classifieds section of the newspaper.

craigslist rocks!! Put an ad up, screen carefully, and taken a friend along whenever you meet up with the person in a public place. You could also put a call in to a local feral TNR place.

Erin always has them. Just search for her screen name on the forums.

this is the products and services (hee hee!) section of the equiery--i see two placement services for barn cats:

http://classified.equiery.com/products.asp
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Contact your local shelter too. My shelter adopts out barn cats for free. They come fully vaccinated and neutered/spayed. They are the "unadoptables." I got 2 a couple of years ago. Young females that wanted absolutely nothing to do with people. They are not mean, just terrified and would not tame in a shelter environment. They are perfectly comfortable in their barn/outside but after 2 years still don't come within 4 feet of me even when I'm filling the food dish. But they do their job and are no longer living in a tiny cage.

1 members found this post helpful.

Local spca, craigslist, the woods...I'm surprised you don't have strays coming around. I have 6 barn cats. 4 I meant to have, 2 just showed up. I bet I could catch the newest stray if you don't mind spaying/neutering, it's a gorgeous sleek long black cat with bright yellow eyes. I named it Sam lol.

The Horse of Delaware always has ads for barn cats. I would check there. Local tack shops and feed stores always have posters up also.

Good luck

Contact BARCS in Baltimore if you can't get in touch with Erin. They have a barn cat program.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

ACCT in Philly also has a Barn Cat program.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Her inbox was full when I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by imissvixen View Post
    Erin always has them. Just search for her screen name on the forums.

I'll let Erin know that you're looking for her and a barn cat.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Here is a non-profit organization located in Prince William Co., VA that has several barn cats available (link is to a Facebook pic of 3 of them):
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater
    Equus Keepus Brokus

You could also put word in at your vet as lots of people bring in strays for a check up and rehoming. Good luck!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

I don't know where you are, but our local humane society GIVES barn cats, that are spayed/neutered/UTD/microchipped to good barn homes. Another lady and I trap many ferals around our little "Mayberry" and she works with the younger ones and gets them pretty tame. They do very well as barn cats -- please help your local humane society or other rescue groups! I am in Shelby County (South of B'ham), AL, contact me if I can help!
    PennyG

My inbox is NOT full!

Thanks TKR but I'm in the SE PA/ MD/ DE area!

Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    I don't know where you are, but our local humane society GIVES barn cats, that are spayed/neutered/UTD/microchipped to good barn homes. Another lady and I trap many ferals around our little "Mayberry" and she works with the younger ones and gets them pretty tame. They do very well as barn cats -- please help your local humane society or other rescue groups! I am in Shelby County (South of B'ham), AL, contact me if I can help!
    PennyG

My inbox is NOT full!