The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone out there a figure competitor?

There are 3 girls I am friends with from work who are very involved, and they are some of the healthiest people I know. I do often workout with them, and they are asking if I'd like to try a competition with them. I have to admit I am intrigued...

Anyone out there on COTH do figure competitions? What got you involved? I know it can be very time consuming, how do you find enough time for this and riding?
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

1 members found this post helpful.

What in the world is a figure competition?

6 members found this post helpful.

Cool

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've done both figure and bikini. I think I'm going back to bikini because I have a small frame to begin with and it will be like climbing Mount Everest for me to put on the muscle to be competitive for figure. My height class is 5'7+ and I'm 5'7 1/2. Anyways!

It's sooooo much fun! It's like nothing in horses at all, hair, make up, shoes, tan, suit! If you do it, make sure you have bikini bite.

It can be hard balancing it with horses at times, no doubt. I think from my very limited experience, is that the real time constraints come from if you have a coach who wants you doing tons of steady state cardio (which isn't good long term for your body). I think the harder part was that I was a little lax and didn't crack down on my diet early enough, and switched to a new coach 12 weeks out because things were not going as planned at all, so the new one had to really crack down on some things and get a little extreme.

So my biggest advice would be start the diet early enough, get posing lessons, practice in the heels, and get used to and comfortable moving in the suit.

I did two competitions with the OCB - one in 2011, one in 2012. I got involved because I started a new job and one of my new coworkers was in the middle of an offseason, so I ended up prepping with her and competing the following year.

In my offseason, I had plenty of time to ride - I lifted for an hour 5 days/week. When I started prepping, this continued. I didn't do any cardio until 10 weeks out, and even then I did intervals for a MAX of 45 minutes 3 days/week. My energy levels definitely declined and in the last two months, the most riding I did was light hacks 3-4 days/week. Granted, I chose to prep for a summer show on purpose because when it's July in NC, my riding declines anyways. I loved doing it and

The most important thing is to pick a good coach who cares about your HEALTH and maintaining your metabolic health and not just getting you stage ready. By all means, please PM me if you have any questions!
    Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

My neice is a pro figure competitor. I don't get it and think she looks very... interesting during the in season stuff (fitness moreso than bikini). She's a gorgeous girl, don't get me wrong, but all the fake bronzer and uber pumped up muscle is a bit much for me. For anyone wondering WTH it is, here is her website: http://www.alexisburkefitness.com/

Find Alexis on facebook www.facebook.com/AlexisBurkeFitness, I'm sure she'd be glad to give you some tips. She is very friendly and has been doing this for a couple years now.

Just wanted to point out, rockonxox's niece is an IFBB bikini pro, the muscularity is different for figure, as is the posing.

rockonxox- you're nice looks amazing! I liked her Facebook page .

Only because of this thread did I happen to see this Wall Street Journal video with a staffer who is a competitor (April 2013) - I don't know how someone could sustain doing this for too long without it being obsessive.

You OT types are so interesting! I'll enjoy learning about this corner of the world that I know nothing about.

So a novice question: Are fake boobs allowed? required? Not required (and some women can have very low body fat with all of it sequestered in the tatas)?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I've seen a lot (by that I mean most) of the pro's get breast enhancements. I'm not sure what the regulations are for the novices. I couldn't find anything on google that prohibited it.

I was just at a show this weekend with a friend who was competing, she is "all natural" and won her division, but there were plenty of implants around.

Thanks North Dakota, glad to hear that someone else successfully balances these two time consuming hobbies!

IrishRose, I have so many questions! I'm gathering them all up to PM you!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~