The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A 20 year partnership in NYC, just wanted to share

The is John and his pretty mare, Lisa. They are pictured here on Lisa's last day as a NYC carriage horse, after 20 years of service

Just after this pic was taken, Lisa was loaded onto the trailer from Blue Star Equiculture of Palmer, MA, the official retirement venue for the Horse & Carriage Association of NYC. Lisa is the 10th horse retired with BSE since the inception of our partnership in April 2011.

John is from Poland, where he grew up farming with hitches of both horses and mules. I have been friends with "Polish John" (as he is known in the industry) since he first came into our business at least 25 years ago. He's a great all-around horseman, with a wealth of working horse knowledge. He is also friendly, fun, and engaging - pretty much the perfect carriage driver/owner

Just wanted to share

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

...and this is the thread about John and Lisa that Blue Star put up:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

5 members found this post helpful.

I hope Lisa enjoys her retirement! One of the things I love best about the carriage horses is that Lisa has been to BSE before during her off duty times. So she is retiring to a familiar place, not somewhere new that might be scary for a senior girl.

My best to Polish John as well, hope you don't miss "your girl" too much!

3 members found this post helpful.

Hats Off to "Polish John" and Lisa for a job well done! Nice to see good horsemen doing things right!

4 members found this post helpful.

Nice to hear, hope she enjoys her new life.

Wonderful to see! I wish him well in his new partnership and I hope her retirement is full of enjoyment of great horse and human buddies.
    Sheilah

2 members found this post helpful.

I'll raise a glass of Krupnik to that....
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

So much for the radical activists' claims that the carriage drivers use horses for a couple of years until they break down, and then send them to slaughter. But since when did the facts matter to those people.

Enjoy your retirement at BSE Lisa, and hopefully John will be beginning a new wonderful relationship with a new equine partner.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Thanks for the sharing this great story with us! Lisa and Polish John must have a wonderful relationship and I am hoping that she thoroughly enjoys her well earned retirement. I wish John many happy years driving the carriages he obviously loves.
    Annabelle Mayr, Arcadia Farm
    Home of Fitz, Max, Daeo & Austria
    Now over the Rainbow Bridge: Finn, Jake & Seamus

1 members found this post helpful.

I might add, it's an amazing testament to the care these horses get, and the gentle, steady, and well-managed nature of the work itself that a horse held up TWENTY YEARS!!! in the carriage service. I challenge anyone to name another "using" discipline where they've seen a horse in service that long.

Keep this one around to counter RARA-wack as applied to the NYC carriage trade!

That is wonderful! Kudos to John! Take that Rara's!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    So much for the radical activists' claims that the carriage drivers use horses for a couple of years until they break down, and then send them to slaughter. But since when did the facts matter to those people.
    My thoughts exactly. She must have been getting good care & management if she was able to put in 20 yrs of pounding the pavement!

what other kind of job could John have in NYC & love so much?

What a nice story! Its absolutely lovely that they were together for so many years. I hope that he can have the same relationship with his next horse, and that Lisa enjoys her retirement!

Default Congrats to Lisa on her retirement -

There is nothing more special than a long term equine/human relationship. I personally have 2 commerical carriage horses in their 20's that are fit and fiddle and continue to work special events. Both have worked as carriage horses since the age of 4 -one I have personally owned since he was 2. Over and over we prove that that most carriage operators love and give their horses the best care. Horses like mine and Lisa are the "norm" and happily and healthily work many years in the carriage trade "pounding the pavement." I am so happy Lisa has a awesome place like Blue Star to go and continue to be an ambassador for Urban horses everywhere. Paul - I hope your next partner and you another glorious 20 yrs in the biz!

Hope she enjoys her retirement.
    Does John already have a new horse picked out? How do the drivers find their replacements? Do most get other trained carriage horses, like from the Amish or do they raise/train them, or buy from a sales barn that specializes in training carriage horses?

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Hope she enjoys her retirement.
    Does John already have a new horse picked out? How do the drivers find their replacements? Do most get other trained carriage horses, like from the Amish or do they raise/train them, or buy from a sales barn that specializes in training carriage horses?
    We have relationships with a few Amish/Mennonite farmers who keep their eye out for a good "city horse" for us, they know what we are looking for. All of our horses are broke to drive and also used to the road when we buy them (if they aren't when the Amish find them, they will train them before offering them to us.) There are a few exceptions here and there; for instance, a carriage owner driving through Lancaster on the way to our harness maker once saw a gorgeous young Percheron working in a 4 horse hitch in a field, he flagged the farmer down and bought him on the spot.

Some owners also frequent the New Holland sales barn, especially if you are partial to STBs (as I am ;-), some lovely ones go through there.
    Last edited by michaleenflynn; Apr. 20, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by michaleenflynn View Post
    We have relationships with a few Amish/Mennonite farmers who keep their eye out for a good "city horse" for us, they know what we are looking for. All of our horses are broke to drive and also used to the road when we buy them (if they aren't when the Amish find them, they will train them before offering them to us.) There are a few exceptions here and there; for instance, a carriage owner driving through Lancaster on the way to our harness maker once saw a gorgeous young Percheron working in a 4 horse hitch in a field, he flagged the farmer and down and bought him on the spot.

Some owners also frequent the New Holland sales barn, especially if you are partial to STBs (as I am ;-), some lovely ones go through there.
    Interesting. Thanks.
    It seems like they would be much harder to find than a regular riding horse or show horse. Trying to find ones with a good mind and not spooky would be more important than one that is just going to be showing, since in a show, a spook might just knock you out of the ribbons, but can be much more serious in a carriage horse. Wasn't sure how they went about getting them/training them.
    Does John have a replacement horse or is he also retiring?

Hope Lisa enjoys her retirement.
    The picture of John and Lisa really shows the true bond that they share.

Someone should share this thread on the anti-pages and see how fast it goes poof.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns