The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stock tie question...

I'm wondering if the stock ties that are fluffy and tied off with a choker-like band of fabric are tied that way, or if they are all sewn and are essentially pre-tied. I'm handy with needle and thread and would love to make my own. Anyone know how these are made or tied?

http://ridingcouture.blogspot.com/20...ie-season.html
    "the waist is not a joint" I MUST REMEMBER THIS!

Mine is pre tied with a velcro closure on the back. I sew and they look EASY, a band around the neck, a loop for the stock and something fluffy for the vertical piece. If you would like I can take and post detailed pics of mine tomorrow.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Definitely sewn. Disclaimer - I can barely sew a button on, but imagine a hand towel folded in half.....now scrunch it up @ the folded part & sew a neck collar (like a priest wears) over it. Hopefully someone with way more sewing prowess can chime in, but you get the primitive idea.

Thank you! I found some more pictures that made it a bit clearer, but a few described the tie as being able to have the choker piece come off so that it was washable (these had sewn in "stock pins" which sound like a lifesaver!) I'm forever loosing them I wonder if I can sew in the rouching... I never knew how creative one can get with stock ties!!
    "the waist is not a joint" I MUST REMEMBER THIS!

I also sew and the best thing to do is to buy a cotton one and take it apart and make a pattern. I have looked for patterns and can't find one. I did just buy some nice cotton ones from the UK for not very much money at all and they are beautiful. (Made me decide it was cheaper than making my own time wise.)

Use a ratchatcher collar to give you an idea how to curve the neck piece, too. A neck piece that's not 'shaped" (slightly cone-shaped) will not fit right around the neck.

They are easy to make. I've made traditional self-tied stock ties and dickies for hot days and the pre-tied ones would be just about as easy.