The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The question is what do your really want. If you are serious about your dressage you want to make sure the resulting cross has the physical build and movement to be successful in dressage. Starting with a TB mare your resulting cross is already 50 percent TB, which assuming they are quality mares, should give you enough gallop and endurance for cross country. I'd look for a stallion that will add a bit more uphill and some more elasticity and scope to the gaits to improve your dressage.

Othere things to consider are rideability, how good a rider are you? What type of ride do your like?. What is the disposition of your mare? Do you like a hotter more reactive horse, or are you more comfortable on a more ralaxed type of horse.

I quite like these two fairly new stallions on TB mares as potential Event/Dressage producers.
    Fabregas (Florencio/De Niro) Recent import
    Panoramix Amaire (Concorde/Formateur) older guy, recently approved, retired show jumper.

They are very diffrent type horses...it really depends on what your mares are like, and what you prefer.

Yes, I do prefer a hotter ride. I don't want something I have to fight... But nice and forward works well. I'm used I riding hotter, more sensitive rides.

I really like Sandros star, he is currently doing his testing in Germany so I'm going to keep an eye on him. I am very interested in breeding my older mare to sangrol and his owner had great compliments for both my mares. She thinks if get a horse very similar to Sandros star.
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    How high does he go, and what level did he event? I went to his website and the two photos of him jumping under saddle (1 XC, and one sj) were over fences that did not look over 3', and very likely might have been lower. Has he ever been competed over "big sticks" or UL eventing fences? 1* comparable level eventing?
    In fairness, neither of the stallions the opening poster mentioned have competed over fences or had anything to do with eventing as far as I know, which would explain why most of us felt comfortable suggesting stallions that hadn't done so either.

Vantage does have some nice jumping photos.... And Sandros heir started out as a jumper in Germany. When he was imported he was turned into a dressage horse.

But yes, neither of them have proven competition stock on the ground yet.
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford