The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default decisions decisions!!!

I am probably the most indecisive person trying to breed... I am looking to get a really great foal. I am not a "breeder" so I guess my issue is just trying to pick the right one.

The 2 mares I have in question are both registered thoroughbred mares. Mother and daughter actually

Some of my thoughts, initially A Fine Romance but he is not available right now. My one mare was approved for a free breeding to a CSH stallion named Vantage.

I also really love Sandros Heir... I've been told to only breed quiet, easy going mares to him though because his line is quite hot.

I want something which I will be able to compete dressage with, but also event
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

This recent thread has quite a few excellent options:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ion-discussion

It's a place to start!

What about Gatsby? We are breeding one of our mares to him next month to make an all around prospect that could go in any ring. He is known for putting a great brain on his kids too.
    www.gatsbystallion.com
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Lot's of stallions would give you what you are looking for. Tzigane*Pb* has consistently produced nice eventers, including a mare I own, and they move quite well. He crosses well with TB's.

Also, any of the stallions I represent would be worth looking at!
    http://tennantsporthorses.com/stallion-services/

Proudly representing the outstanding stallions, Ballzauber, Sea Accounts xx, Sea Lion xx, and Tagaelen!

We like Navarone for producing eventers and he goes especiallyl well with TB mares. His son Thunder III is doing really well in the CCI3*. :-)

Kathy
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

There are so many nice choices, that's where my problem is has anyone bred to either of the stallions I listed?

I do like the looks of gatsby!!!!!! Super nice looking stud
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

Oo Gatsby would be a wonderful choice!! He has done a lot of dressage (I believe the FEI Young horse classes, he excelled!) and is now headed into the hunter/jumper ring! I've heard if a number of his babies are in the eventing world and doing really well! They are brave and scopey! His babies are nice and solid, his genes really seem to enhance the good points of the mares and add a nice build! He throws a superb character as well! I've met him and he has a really calm and intelligent demeanour!! Acts very much like a gelding, even around mares. So you won't have any issues with a firey hot baby!! His breeding fee is super reasonable too!
    Good luck with breeding! It's so much fun!

I definitely recommend Gatsby! He is such an easy horse to ride with amazing flatwork, great jump and is very brave. He will jump anything you ask him to. The thing I can't get over is how amazing his temperament is! He is the easiest horse I have in the barn. I would be thrilled to have a barn full of his babies!! I can't say enough good things about this stallion. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about how he is to ride!

Hi Sonora stables, Id love to hear more from you. PM me!

I like horses that are very forward and im pretty successfull with riding more hotter horses, so that doesn't concern me. I don't want something that is mean though.

Thank you for your interest in AFR, Vic. I am sorry that I cannot accomodate you this year. As I said on your previous thread on the Eventing forum, I do like your mare a lot, and think she should produce eventers.

I bred my full TB AFR daughter to VDL Windsor. She is a full sister to a winning GP jumper and Advanced event horse, and I bred her to hopefully produce an UL event horse.

VDL Windsor is CSHA and CWBA approved, he stands in Ontario at Gimcrack, and competes in the jumper ring with his AO. He is a handsome individual, quite refined, with an outstanding jumper pedigree (Indoctro/Ahorn).
    He is a 1/2 brother to the very promising eventer VDL Ulando who died tragically last year.

A good friend of mine who is an UL eventer in the UK was over here last year, and she also went to have a look at him for me. She rode the horse and loved him wanted to pack him up and take him back to the UK with her!
    She is buying the foal from this cross, as an UL event prospect.

I don't know if he is what you are looking for, but I felt that he was worth trying with for my mare, and I thought long and hard about the decision.

I also suggested the RID stallion Steeped in Luck. He is a lovely horse, competes successfully in dressage (with Tom Dvorak), and is siring some really nice babies out of TB mares. A friend of mine has a son of his (RID xTB) she is keeping as a stallion prospect.
    In fact, perhaps you should contact her, Dana Balfour, Twisted Pine Farm (she is on FB) - she may be doing a few breedings with him this year.

Another to consider is Viva Voltaire.
    He sired two horses who competed in the last PanAms in dressage - including one out of an A Fine Romance daughter.
    I understand he also has eventer, jumper and hunter offspring.

There are a number of good horses who would suit your purposes.
    I have only mentioned a few, standing in Ontario - who you could readily see and easily get semen from.
    Best of luck in your decision.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

I stand Guaranteed Gold who is a TB stallion who did compete in eventing and has sired some event horses and this year we have FEI level riders and coaches that are expecting some dressage destined babies from him . One client also bred her imported Hanoverian mare to him this year that was long listed to our Canadian dressage team - just waiting to hear if the embryo's "took" into the recip mares

BUT - unless you are local and plan on breeding live cover, you wont be able to get JC papers on the foal if we ship semen to you. Something to think about ...

Another vote for Gatsby. LOVE the stallion. Love everything about him and being 1/2 TB himself, he wont take away anything from the mare. He competed successfully in eventing and his previous owners were slating him for a dressage career as well. Right now with his current owner, she is changing his focus and he will be in the hunter ring this year so a very versatile stallion for sure!

Have fun searching and deciding on the perfect stallion!

1 members found this post helpful.

Since you mentioned Sandro's Heir, you may want to take a look at another Sandro Hit son, Sagnol. He stands at Dreamscape Farms in British Columbia, and has an approved stallion son named Sandro's Star that finished in 4th place in the North American 2012 70 day stallion test, scoring 10's for cross country gallop and cross-country jumping, and 9's for canter and stadium jumping. Sandro's Star is out of a TB mare (so similar breeding to what you are contemplating), and is now in Germany training for a career in eventing. Oh, and Sagnol is approved by multiple registries, so you shouldn't have a problem registering your foal (some may require inspection of mare and foal, though).

Are Vantage or Sandro's Heir approved anywhere? Since you are doing this more as a one time thing I think I would limit my choices to PROVEN stallions that have either a performance record/performance test and breed approvals. If you're in Canada I would be inclined to stick with Canadian based stallions - at least for your first breeding experience - to avoid the whole protocol for getting semen across the border that's in place right now.

Within Canada there is Gatsby, who is lovely and has been mentioned on here many times. Nice stallion, owner is super helpful and supportive and the people that own his babies all seem to love them. Sagnol, who stands at Dreamscape Farm in BC fits all of your requirements. He actually has a son out of a tbred mare who did well at the 70 day test and is now in Germany perusing an eventing career. Novalis, Bandaras and Checkmate all might work as well, and are also at Dreamscape. Jennifer is one of the most helpful and accommodating stallion owners ever.

Another one is Viva Voltaire, very good producer. I looked at him myself this year but he only collects on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays so I made a different choice.

Here's a video clip of Gatsby that his owner just posted this morning, taken in the last 2 days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX8bbRxp-yc

Remember that he;s an older stallion (15 this year) who has been off work for 4+ years. He has been back in work for 3 weeks now under a new rider and the jump footage was the first time he had jumped in 4+ years as well. he has always been shown and ridden as an event horse - this is the first time he's being asked to go as "a hunter" and wait for the jump on soft contact instead of taking hold of the bridle and taking his rider down to the base of the jump as he has always been trained to do

I like him more and more the fitter he gets and the more he is understanding his new role as a hunter

1 members found this post helpful.

Galileo- yes I dont want to get into importing. So Ontario is it for me Sandros Heir is an imported german lisenced oldenburg, he is in Peterborough and is start GP now and slated for the olympics I believe.

Vantage is sired by Viva Voltaire and a CSH stallion. He is nice and uphill which is what I am looking for.

Gail, thanks for your reply! I will definately check out those stallions and see what twisted pines has Sounds interesting!

Downyonder- thanks for posting that info! I love the outcome, Sandros Star is gorgeous...

Don't be afraid to look outside of Ontario - there are no restrictions province to province. Yes, now I remember who Sandro's Heir is, he's owned by David Burke of Pangea Farms.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by SonoraStables View Post
    I definitely recommend Gatsby! He is such an easy horse to ride with amazing flatwork, great jump and is very brave. He will jump anything you ask him to. The thing I can't get over is how amazing his temperament is! He is the easiest horse I have in the barn. I would be thrilled to have a barn full of his babies!! I can't say enough good things about this stallion. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about how he is to ride!
    How high does he go, and what level did he event? I went to his website and the two photos of him jumping under saddle (1 XC, and one sj) were over fences that did not look over 3', and very likely might have been lower. Has he ever been competed over "big sticks" or UL eventing fences? 1* comparable level eventing?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    How high does he go, and what level did he event? I went to his website and the two photos of him jumping under saddle (1 XC, and one sj) were over fences that did not look over 3', and very likely might have been lower. Has he ever been competed over "big sticks" or UL eventing fences? 1* comparable level eventing?
    I am not sure what level he has shown to, but he did participate in the 70 day stallion testing, where I am sure he had to jump over 3 foot there. Not sure how high though and what it would compare to UL eventing.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

I believe the eventing stallion Rather Well is also available in Ontario....I personally like the pics I have seen of the foals from the Vantage test breedings. I think he will develop into a very nice CSH stallion but it depends if you want to take the risk around future approval.