The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog Yoga

Who else has to perform elaborate and difficult yoga-like movements to get over your dogs?

Mine love to drape themselves in front of me and fall blissfully asleep so that I have to twist and place one foot carefully between muzzle and paw, feeling for lips, ears, dog toes, and floor so I can avoid the former and place all my weight on the latter; balance carefully and slowly raise myself up like the uplift from a squat, with all my weight on one foot.

Usually there's a pause to evaluate the dog pile. Then I balance on my other leg kneeling on the soft ottoman, and perform a stretching reach with the first foot to get over the dog heap, at which point I have to slowly and carefully redo the first steps of feeling for lips, ears, and dog toes and slowly and carefully transfer my weight onto that foot.

Refill the coffee cup.

Repeat the process in reverse.

It really is like yoga. I figure it's good for me.

So looking at a yoga chart, it's kind of like doing a Half Twist, then a Tree, then bending onto the ottoman in a Table, stretching into a Sunbird and then morphing into a Modified Angle/Warrior II pose.

Sometimes there is a little excitement when my extra-large Weimaraner decides to stand up in the middle of one of my precarious balances.

Yeah. I do dog yoga every day of my life. I failed at it the other night at 4:30 am when I got up to go to the bathroom. The old boxer is normally sleeping on the bed, hogging the covers. But, for some reason, he decided to sleep in the middle of the bedroom. I tripped over him in the dark, fell into the wall, and broke my hand.

Dog Yoga can be a dangerous sport.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yep. I especially tend to do Dancer or Three-Legged Dog when tripping over one on the stairs.

Also, trying to actually do yoga when an oblivious dachshund is wandering in and out under the yogini while sniffing the mat for food and another very anxious dachshund is trying to climb on said yogini or stare into one's face leads to some interesting variations on poses.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Yeah, my dog used to take "Downward Facing Dog" a little too literally. I'd do my yoga DVDs, and as soon as I'd get to that position, he would lay down right under me and stare up at me. So I'd be downward, facing my dog.

I miss my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrows Endure View Post
    Yeah. I do dog yoga every day of my life. I failed at it the other night at 4:30 am when I got up to go to the bathroom. The old boxer is normally sleeping on the bed, hogging the covers. But, for some reason, he decided to sleep in the middle of the bedroom. I tripped over him in the dark, fell into the wall, and broke my hand.

Dog Yoga can be a dangerous sport.
    OMG! Are you okay? Are you in a cast? I wish you well!

I do Dog Yoga in bed! Dog is, I guess, the yoga brick (more like a wet bag of concrete); moving him once he's settled in is impossible. So I have to arrange limbs and such into some interesting static poses in order to sleep. Getting a king-sized bed helped, but not as much as we thought.