The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Super easy veggie-based recipes?

Hi guys! Trying to up my veggie consumption... I'm not really a vegetarian but don't like to cook and prepare meat myself (I'm weird, I know).

I'd like to play with grilling but, honestly, a grill is totally baffling to me and seems like it might take more effort than I want to put in- but any suggestions and ideas to make it more easy for me to attempt would be great!

So, please... easy veggie recipes?

I usually only eat chicken and ground beef as far as meat goes.

I'm in the process of nuking some frozen fettuccine alfredo, and adding some lightly steamed veggies. I had some asparagus from the garden, and some broccoli, carrots and red peppers. Steam veggies for about three minutes, then toss into the fettuccine. Add black olives if you like them. This works with whatever veggies you have on hand.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I eat a vegetable based diet so this is a fun thread for me. Tonight we had Tofu Coconut Curry.

Coconut Curry over quinoa- bok choy, mushrooms, green pepper, tomatoes, basil, tofu, onion, garlic, ginger, potatoes... a can of coconut milk, curry powder, chili paste, soy sauce...super easy and sooooo delicious.

Also Ratatouille is super easy to make and very filling and delicious.

Taco Salad- Lettuce of sorts, kidney beans, black beans, cucumber, tomato, avocado, jicama, pico de gallo, tortilla chips, ground beef (mine is fake). I usually just use red wine vinegar and a wedge of lemon for dressing. Soooo quick and easy.

I steam a ton of veggies and serve with hot sauce or cheese. Yum.

You can also roast any of the hardier ones, usually with a little olive oil or butter, and your herbs of choice (rosemary and thyme work particularly well.)

I will also cut hardy leaf lettuces (like kale, chard, collards...are those still considered lettuce?) into narrow little strips and serve under pretty much anything, from soups to meat to eggs to whatever. A little tough to describe, but roll up the leaves and then cut from the end in 1/8" slices. You wind up with leaf strips about the width of spaghetti noodles? Tastes great and a super easy way of getting those super high nutrient greens on the plate without having a salad.

One more and then I'll stop...

Mushroom and spinach tacos...

Heat up some olive oil add mushrooms and spinach and cook until mushrooms are softened. Pretend this is your meat and then fill your shell with all the goodies like pico de gallo (homemade is the best), avocado and lettuce. Try cilantro lime quinoa on the side instead of rice.

Don't stop! Keep them coming!

Oh, another way: sign up for a CSA box or other weekly delivery of fruits and veggies. You'll feel so guilty about throwing that stuff away that you'll make a point to eat it. And it's easier to eat more veggies when they're in the house already

A quick google turns up this for Nashville: http://nashfof.wordpress.com/csa/

I use this service locally: www.doortodoororganics.com

Grills are super-easy to use and honestly make everything taste fantastic.

Like grilling portabellas as a burger...mmmm. Or just cutting various veggies into chunks, skewering or tossing into a grilling basket, sprinkling with favorite seasoning and grilling.

I also ovenroast huge pans of veggies. I just pick my faves, cut into chunks, season and toss with a little olive oil and toss into a huge roasting pan. Put into oven preheated to 400, stir/toss every 10 minutes and take them out when they're cooked the way I like them done. (I like mine done a little longer so they have a bit of a crunch, preheating to such a high heat keeps them from being mushy when they cook) Then I cool them to room temp and toss into a big tupperware and heat as much as I need for meals. I can then toss them with wwheat pasta or brown rice and heat them up, or I can put them in a wrap with cheese or whatever.

I also like homemade fried rice...I just buy the boil-in-bag brown rice and boil for 7 minutes instead of 10. Drain and put aside. In a saute pan I heat olive oil on high and then toss in finely chopped handfuls of onion, broccoli, squash, mushrooms and shredded carrot. Saute for 5 minutes tops...remove from pan and add a little more oil. Wait until oil is HOT again and toss in rice, stirring/flipping often until semi-crisp...maybe 5 minutes. Turn heat to medium-low, toss veggies back in, add 2 tbs soy and 2 tbs teriyaki sauce and heat through...2-3 minutes. Done. Most of the flavor comes from the frying, I don't add meat to fried rice. I make a huge pan of that too...then in the fridge it goes and I can microwave a bowl of it anytime fast.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Enchilada casserole-

use enchilada sauce and line the bottom of a pyrex and lay out your corn tortillas, add spinach, mushrooms, green pepper, onions, olives, crumbled tofu, cover with enchilada sauce and repeat. Cover and put in oven at 375-400 until veggies are softened.

My SO love this one...
    Spelt pasta cooked and tossed in chopped parsley, halved cherry tomatoes, garlic and basil. Thats it!
    The spelt pasta is way less heavy than normal pasta.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Oh, another way: sign up for a CSA box or other weekly delivery of fruits and veggies. You'll feel so guilty about throwing that stuff away that you'll make a point to eat it. And it's easier to eat more veggies when they're in the house already

A quick google turns up this for Nashville: http://nashfof.wordpress.com/csa/

I use this service locally: www.doortodoororganics.com

I'm part of a CSA which is the reason I made Ratatouille- I couldn't think of anything to do with all the squash and eggplant and didn't want to throw it away!

Quote Originally Posted by nolly View Post
    I'm part of a CSA which is the reason I made Ratatouille- I couldn't think of anything to do with all the squash and eggplant and didn't want to throw it away!
    HA--the CSA we were a part of last year is the reason I got really good at slicing heavy leaf lettuce fine and using it in *everything*...we had so much chard and kale and collards and whatever alllllll spring and early summer.

A friend of mine is part of a CSA that grows all sorts of interesting things, like ramps and lovage and nettles. I wish I could find one that's varied like that. I love trying new things.

The Door to Door box is neat because you can make substitutions and set certain things as "dislike" and they won't give that to you. You can also buy extra fruits and veggies through them, along with all sorts of other organic stuff. I think they're even doing milk and eggs these days, and they do turkey around the holidays. Really a cool service.

I have been making a lot of spinach lately, and if you like spicy stuff, this is a simple addition to plain spinach for a yummy vegetable side dish:

Heat up a few tablespoons of olive oil or butter, add ground cayenne pepper to taste (I use a lot), about 1/2 tsp cumin, a few shakes of turmeric for health and color. Warm the spices for a few seconds and then add a package of frozen spinach. It's easier if you have thawed it out, but you can put a lid on and just heat it up from a frozen state.

You can also saute in a chopped half onion, chopped tomato, and curry powder to make it more like an Indian food dish. (Sag Paneer without the paneer)

I do the same as Simkie - chiffonade(finely chop) some kale or chard and throw it into soups, rice, pasta, quinoa dishes. I also use the chopped greens in cole slaw and salads. It makes me feel virtuous

I know its spring, for us in NJ anyway, but I love broccoli rabe, and I make a mean broccoli rabe soup with quinoa in a garlic broth base. You can add chicken or italian sausage - chicken, turkey, or pork, but not necessary.

Garlic broth is easy. Take 1 head of garlic, and peel and slice-no need to mince. Dump a couple glugs of olive oil in a soup pot and heat on low. Add garlic and a teaspoon of red chili flakes and cook, stirring often, until garlic is fragrant and softened, about 15-20 min. Add 4-6 cups water and bring to a boil.

Chop 1 bunch of rabe into bite-size pieces--paying attention to chop the leaves quite small, otherwise the soup will be sloppy to eat, but still deelish. Throw it in a colander and rinse.

When the garlic broth is boiling, throw in the rabe, return to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste a piece of stem to check the rabe's doneness.

I throw the quinoa in directly after the rabe wilts, about 5 minutes into cooking tome. BE SURE to rise the quinoa first or it can add bitterness. You could make the quinoa separately, but WHY

Season to taste with salt and pepper. I add anchovy paste for a more authentic taste of salt.

You can also add rice, barley, or little pasta instead of quinoa, but quinoa looks really cool in soup, and it adds body without getting too heavy.

Everyone loves this soup!

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    www.plantbasedonabudget.com

A good place to start!
    Awesome!!

Thanks everyone!

Check out PaleOmg for some awesome, easy recipes! she is hilarious AND provides delicious food ideas. Desserts, too, Muahahahaha.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I sauté and steam vegetables ALL the time - it's the base of my diet. It is SO easy - just chop your favorite vegetables and throw them in a large pan. I love garlic, onions, mushrooms, squashes, greens, broccoli, eggplant, etc. Stuff to add to make it interesting: a) sauté in different oils, such as sesame oil - or my fave, sesame oil with hot pepper mixed in. b) sauté with a couple of slices of bacon for flavor c) thicken the watery juice by adding a bit of sifted flour to make it "saucier" d) pour sauted veggies over pasts e) my fave: boil some water in a mug, add a little balsamic vinegar, maybe a little soy sauce, a little garlic powder, and a big scoop of chunky peanut butter to make an excellent peanut sauce for the veggies f) use different spices - for example, one time add chick peas and then add curry powder, turmeric, cumin, red pepper, sea salt for a nice Indian-inspired taste. Or add chopped tomatoes with lime, cilantro....or chopped ginger... I also like basil, sage, rosemary, cilantro, esp. when fresh. Seriously, I pretty much cook by throwing things into one pot.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Get the books "Quick-Fix Vegan" and "Quick-Fix Vegetarian" - they are awesome cookbooks! All the recipes are simple, quick, and easy, and I haven't had one in there yet that I haven't liked. I don't cook with meat, as it gives me the heebie-jeebies, and the recipes in these books are so flavorful and delicious that I never feel deprived.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I made stuffed peppers tonight. Stuff 'em with rice, tomatoes, onions, beans, and cheese (whatever you want, really), and stick the whole thing in the oven for 40 mins. Filling and tasty. You can do it with quinoa also if that's your thing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." --Vincent Van Gogh