The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Well, I kinda feel like there's not much else for the trainer to say. Sucky situation, yes, but the pony is probably okay and she has called and called them and is trying to resolve the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    I would have your trainer sit tight in her truck and drive me to get my damn poney.

Do yourself a big favor, change trainer asap.
    Surely the trainer can't just drop everything and leave her barn for a 6 hour round trip? I think it's a bit unreasonable to expect her to do that. She has a barn to run, lessons to teach, horses to work/feed/turn out etc. Yes, bad situation, but also not trainer's fault.

Has she proposed going herself on Monday, when it sounds like she would be able to make the trip? Or is she still trying to get the other trainer to return her calls?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kalidascope View Post

Surely the trainer can't just drop everything and leave her barn for a 6 hour round trip? I think it's a bit unreasonable to expect her to do that. She has a barn to run, lessons to teach, horses to work/feed/turn out etc. Yes, bad situation, but also not trainer's fault.

Has she proposed going herself on Monday, when it sounds like she would be able to make the trip? Or is she still trying to get the other trainer to return her calls?
    I understand that she can't drop everything and leave barn for a 6 hour trip. However, we do have a full time assistant barn manager/trainer available too. One trainer can handle the barn at a time (happened the whole time our trainer was in Ocala this winter). The pony should have been returned Thursday/Friday and it's Sunday with no sign of her return.

She has not proposed going herself on Monday precisely because it is her day off. She is still calling this guy hoping by some miracle he brings the pony to the show grounds today. This is what I find frustrating because now getting her back from trial is my problem. Yes, I understand she is my pony and I assume ultimate responsibility for her. So now I will take off work on Monday, get someone to watch my two kids while I make this trip myself and on my dime. Is it worth it? Of course!

I do think she is most likely being taken care of properly, but it doesn't mean that I am not concerned about her. This has gone on long enough.

5 members found this post helpful.

I would not sell a pony or send it anywhere without seeing where she is going and meeting the new owners. But that's me...

You basically have two middle men between you and the buyer- your trainer and their trainer. For all you know, one or both of the trainers might be knocking up the sale price, who knows how much.

You clearly care about the pony. Once you get her back, make sure you meet all potential buyers.

3 members found this post helpful.

I hope you are able to get this resolved asap and pony is ok. Hoping the other trainer is busy trying to get clients to buy pony.

Hoping it all resolves well and is nothing more than a lesson learned in the end.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

The lack of communication would scare the cr@p out of me! I think I would be taking a ride out to the farm where pony is tomorrow, trailer or not. I would want Pony for myself at this point. Do you not have professional haulers in the area that could bring the pony home tomorrow? Really hope your pony is okay and the trainer is just too busy to return the calls!

2 members found this post helpful.

Was I in your shoes - I would be calling the barn owner of where my pony is, informing them of the situation, letting them know just how unhappy you are with what their trainer is doing and if they get snotty with you (and, in any barn I've ever worked the BO would NOT get upset, but would apologize profusely and come down on trainer like a load of bricks ... but on the off chance they do...) inform them that if your pony is not there when you get a trailer out there you'll prosecute them for accessory to theft.

The trainers finally spoke!!!

It seems that their trainer was trying to convince his client to buy our pony before she went back home. He said he really likes the pony and thinks it is a perfect fit for their young daughter. This push for a month lease is coming from the Dad. He wants to make sure pony is super safe.

Apparently, while on trial she reared up in her stall. I am not sure what the scenario was to cause this and this is unlike her. She can be head-shy around men and all their grooms are men. The parents were there and saw this and it made them worry for their daughter. I completely understand their concern. The pony will be on grooming board so their daughter will not be handling her on the ground but they want to make sure she will not rear up with a rider.

My DD has been handling her since she was only 9 and the pony has great ground manners. I trust the pony completely and would never try to sell a anything without disclosing any issues.

I do understand why the dad is concerned. In fact, I would probably do the same. I am upset that the trainer didn't have the courtesy to call back.

Some of you may want to bang your head against the wall - or maybe you want to bang my head against the wall - but I am letting them keep her for 3 more weeks to figure this out. They have assured me that they love the pony, they just want to make sure she doesn't have any issues. They have done a complete PPE with x-rays, had her shod, and did spring vaccinations (as she was scheduled to have hers done the day after she left). They have assured me they have no interest in leasing. They are looking to purchase her.

This time, a very well done contract is currently being drawn up by my trainer. This includes the end date and who pays for shipping if they decide they do not want her after it all.

So I am either the biggest idiot of all time or someone who is trying to believe there is some good left in these people.

7 members found this post helpful.

THIS makes more sense. What makes NO sense is that they didn't explain all of this days ago, or demanded that you go pick up the pony.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Quote Originally Posted by jenct View Post
    Did you ask to speak to the potential buyers? At this point, I would feel the need to actually talk to the people who want the extended trial rather than the monkey-in-the-middle game that is happening.

Are you sure the pony is okay? Do you know anyone in the area that can stop in and check on her?

4 members found this post helpful.

Do you actually have any money (deposit/down payment/rental fee) in your hand??? Sorry, but after all this drama, I'm thinking you are a bit nieve in sale procedure. A person/people you don't even know or have spoken to have your $$$ pony in their possession for another 3 weeks and you have no assurances.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I hope it works out but I fear in 3 weeks there will be some OTHER fuzzy mystery justifying an extended trial... I'm cynical by nature.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I'd insist on full payment with a 3 week "buy back" minus a lease fee (that's high), if she doesn't work out. And I wouldn't take a check that can be cancelled.
    With as unprofessional as both trainers have been, and no communication, I would not just let them have the pony for another 3 weeks.

4 members found this post helpful.

Sometimes no good deed goes unpunished.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jenct View Post

It seems that their trainer was trying to convince his client to buy our pony before she went back home. He said he really likes the pony and thinks it is a perfect fit for their young daughter. This push for a month lease is coming from the Dad. He wants to make sure pony is super safe.

Apparently, while on trial she reared up in her stall. I am not sure what the scenario was to cause this and this is unlike her. She can be head-shy around men and all their grooms are men. The parents were there and saw this and it made them worry for their daughter. I completely understand their concern. The pony will be on grooming board so their daughter will not be handling her on the ground but they want to make sure she will not rear up with a rider.

My DD has been handling her since she was only 9 and the pony has great ground manners. I trust the pony completely and would never try to sell a anything without disclosing any issues.

I do understand why the dad is concerned. In fact, I would probably do the same. I am upset that the trainer didn't have the courtesy to call back.

Some of you may want to bang your head against the wall - or maybe you want to bang my head against the wall - but I am letting them keep her for 3 more weeks to figure this out. They have assured me that they love the pony, they just want to make sure she doesn't have any issues. They have done a complete PPE with x-rays, had her shod, and did spring vaccinations (as she was scheduled to have hers done the day after she left). They have assured me they have no interest in leasing. They are looking to purchase her.

This time, a very well done contract is currently being drawn up by my trainer. This includes the end date and who pays for shipping if they decide they do not want her after it all.

So I am either the biggest idiot of all time or someone who is trying to believe there is some good left in these people.
    These are the same people that
    1) refused to pay a standard lease fee
    2) had a fit & told you to pick up the pony immediately when you refused to extend a trial for the second time
    3) told you to pick up your pony the same day that their attempt at extending a lease was refused
    4) refused to communicate in a reasonable fashion
    5) suddenly have a STORY about safety concerns ... why in hades was the incident not disclosed at the time
    if there have been safety concerns all this time, why has nothing been disclosed
    6) if they can well afford this pony, why the refusal to pay a lease fee?
    7) request a copy of the PPE due to the "bad faith" so far displayed & see what sort of stories that engenders
    8) ensure the new contract includes insurance on the pony (with you as beneficiary), an appropriate lease fee, paid return shipping at your convenience, a copy of any vet/farrier etc records, prior notice of pony leaving barn property for shows, hack, etc, etc.

You are essentially taking this pony off the market for over 5 weeks during which time your DD has no pony to ride & you have no guarantee of a sale or appropriate recompense in the event of no sale ...

I would be hand delivering the contract & inspecting the pony.

Unless you have the contractually agreed upon purchase price in escrow or your bank account, they have the pony & you have nothing ...
    Frankly that you dropped your asking price by 10% after all their hijinks rather placed you in the desperate to sell camp.

14 members found this post helpful.

I hope it all works out for you! I bet you are just relieved to finally get a report on your pony!

I have to say I don't understand the "trainer to trainer" only communication stuff. I'd most certainly want to talk to the prospective new owner myself. Too many chances for the communication to go awry this way. Agree with everyone else that you are taking a huge leap of faith that someone who has NOT treated you fairly or with respect so far (the other trainer) is now being totally honest and up front.
    Just call them. I know you want to believe you aren't being taken advantage of, and that everyone is being honest, but a simple phone conversation would go a long way towards clarifying that.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    These are the same people that
    1) refused to pay a standard lease fee
    2) had a fit & told you to pick up the pony immediately when you refused to extend a trial for the second time
    3) told you to pick up your pony the same day that their attempt at extending a lease was refused
    4) refused to communicate in a reasonable fashion
    5) suddenly have a STORY about safety concerns ... why in hades was the incident not disclosed at the time
    if there have been safety concerns all this time, why has nothing been disclosed
    6) if they can well afford this pony, why the refusal to pay a lease fee?
    7) request a copy of the PPE due to the "bad faith" so far displayed & see what sort of stories that engenders
    8) ensure the new contract includes insurance on the pony (with you as beneficiary), an appropriate lease fee, paid return shipping at your convenience, a copy of any vet/farrier etc records, prior notice of pony leaving barn property for shows, hack, etc, etc.

You are essentially taking this pony off the market for over 5 weeks during which time your DD has no pony to ride & you have no guarantee of a sale or appropriate recompense in the event of no sale ...

I would be hand delivering the contract & inspecting the pony.

Unless you have the contractually agreed upon purchase price in escrow or your bank account, they have the pony & you have nothing ...
    Frankly that you dropped your asking price by 10% after all their hijinks rather placed you in the desperate to sell camp.
    Everything she said in spades...get a cashiers check and put in an escrow account like immediately if they balk WALK..I seriously do not buy the avoidance excuse from trainer..A phone call is not going to take up anyone's time. They can still ruin your promise reputation for a future sale and 3 weeks is too long!!

8 members found this post helpful.

I would not accept this. I would say buy or bring the pony home. Too many red flags and I would have absolutely no trust in the buyer's trainer being on the up and up. My cynical nature would be they came up with a plausible story to be able to keep the pony for the show while still looking elsewhere. I used to be gullible and trusting and paid a heavy price. Now I only know 3 people I would trust implicitly and am highly cautious about dealings with anyone else. If I didn't have cash in hand (or escrow) with ironclad contract stating absolutes on what would cause a return and a high portion of sale price would be nonrefundable lease fee for the month. They've already told you who they are. Believe them

8 members found this post helpful.

A good friend of my often has horses for sale. What she does is allows a WEEKs trial. Before the horse is taken she gets a check for the full amount of the horse which she will hold. If horsie isn't back in a week she cashes the check. If the horse comes back she returns the check and they pay a twenty dollar a day "rental" fee.
    This seems pretty fair to me.

The "rental" fee seems to help keep people who aren't pretty serious from taking a horse.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

This saga brings back (vague) memories of a woman in Ky. who asked advice about sending a horse on trial to a buyer in Fla. She was advised NOT to do it, but did...then spent months trying to find and get her horse back!! The details of that deal are sketchy in my mind, but this deal "smells" the same to me. Hope it works out better!! Some people are just too trusting and gullible in today's world!! A horse is just like cash money...would you trust a handful of cash to a stranger??? I would not!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma