The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jenct View Post
    They have not given a reason as to why. I asked my trainer and she said they did not give her a reason - only this ultimatum: one month lease or take her back home today. I am going to push her to find out why because I would like to make this work.

I believe it is because they want to take her to a big AA show the first weekend in May.... We told them during their 2 week trial that they were allowed to take her off property and they could show her but I do not believe they did.
    I think they just want a pony to show, or their trainer wants a chance to try to flip (sell) pony at show for a higher amount and keep the difference.
    I'd get pony home, and tell them that if they want to buy it, cough up the money, otherwise it's for sale.

6 members found this post helpful.

"Poop or get off the pot!!" If they extend the trial...show her and don't win...then what?? More extensions. I'm not a person who allows trials, but I think you have been more than generous. They are jerking your chain!! JMO!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

1 members found this post helpful.

I agree with everyone and think they need to fork over some cash or get your pony back. I can't imagine any reason that after two weeks they do not know whether they want your pony or not.

And if they do want to show the pony then I would make them pay for a show lease. At this point they are taking advantage of you.

And I would say try to be in contact with them personally b/c having your trainer as a middle man may make it harder to relay messages.

Good luck, and let us know how everything turns out

I ( as 'agent' for owner) sent a pony on a two week trial with a trainer. I told trainer to bring her trailer when they looked at the pony as it was a 3 hr drive. I knew the pony would be great with this trainer. We did an agreement, basically they bought the pony ,gave me a check, assumed all liability for pony and agreed to notify me about 'anything'. There was a money back guarantee if she didn't pass PPE or pony/child didn't work out.

10 days went by and trainer asked for add'l time.No reason given until I pressured. It seems that said pony had kicked the trailer on the way home and injured herself. New owner hadn't been able to ride and PPE would have failed..BUT, no one told me!! even though it was in the agreement! They had paid for Vet etc. and fortunately it was minor. I agreed with stipulation if PPE failed for any reason other than current injury.

They kept her ...though child became disinterested within a year, trainer found another buyer and pony ended up doing awesome. Great... from a terrified rescue I took to work with for free because I felt sorry for the pony....to an eventing pony...brave and well loved.
    Lots of risk of injury on a trial or lease that's why they are so expensive.

My thought is that they want to see if the pony will win with this kid at the show - though the trainer wanting to try and flip the pony makes sense too. I would say no to the extension, either buy the pony or bring the pony home.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    Do you know WHY they want the trial extension? If they went as far as to do the PPE I would assume they are pretty serious. If they have a good reason, such as kiddo has been sick, then maybe you can work with them somehow. Maybe they had a bad previous buying experience? Are worried the pony is drugged?

I would find out WHY, and then see if you can reach a compromise.
    Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    I would tell them that they had a two week trial, more than fair. If they are interested in a lease, its the standard 33% lease fee which can come off the sale price if they persue that.
    I think these are helpful points.

Why would someone pay for a PPE (and the rest) and then suddenly go balls-to-the-wall for a mere 30 more days to figure out if they wanted the pony? They lose money so far if you walk or they do, so what's in that magic next 30 days for them?

Maybe figure out what this will cost you in terms of losing another buyer (or really, time spent feeding the pony) and ask them for more than a 10% lease fee. Usually, that 33% if per year. So if some number between 10 and 33% won't satisfy you, you have your answer: Tell them to suck it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I'd take pony back. I had a horse for sale a year or two ago and had a similar experience - buyer just kept asking for more time until next thing you know it's 2 months later and they're not returning anyone's calls. Did I learn my lesson? Nope Another person came along, perfect home, great situation, just wanted to try her out. Again, time passes until it's mid summer and other interested parties are long gone. Buyer has nerve to offer me half the askng price (after we had a contract with agreed price) because 'they'd spent a month riding her and paying for lessons on her". By this point, I gave up and leased her to a great young rider - wouldn't you know they fell in love and bought her

All this took place at a nice training barn and with contracts in place. I don't think I'll do a trail period beyond a few rides ever again. It wasn't a huge deal to me whether horse sold or not and I still found it way too stressful and time consuming dealing with trial periods.

I would go get that pony back.

And I think your trainer is not being very honest with you in this situation. What kind of profit is your trainer making in this deal? I would personnaly speak with the buyer directly and see what is truly going on.

5 members found this post helpful.

I agree with everyone who has said you should say no and bring the pony home. The reality is if they want her they will buy her anyways and if they don't you have lost a month (or in reality 6 weeks) of selling time. Remember you own the pony not your trainer and your gut is telling you this doesn't feel right.

Quote Originally Posted by jenct View Post
    If we say no, come and get her today.
    not sure how these folks do business, but hereabouts, if you are fortunate enough to receive a trial period the prospective buyer is responsible for all shipping arrangements & fees regardless of how the trial goes.

Not sure if we are being jerked around.
    Yes, you are.

The pony would be bought by now if they were actually going to go through with the purchase ... but why should they buy, they have a nice pony on exceedingly cheap lease terms ...

I hope you brought your pony home

10 members found this post helpful.

It is hard to guess if you are being messed with or not if there is no reason given for the need for the extension.

Sure this trainer might be trying to get something (horse show without the lease fee) or like was mentioned, maybe the kid has been sick or such.

Go get your pony. They are jerking you around. I actually had this happen once with a saddle! I allowed the saddle to go on trial with full payment up front. Turned out the lovely little lady only needed it for a show.

Go get your pony.

Agree that you should go get your pony. They might still be looking for another pony, either better or cheaper and want to use your perfectly acceptable pony to show in the meantime. They're jerking your chain. I would not stop actively marketing your pony for an extended trial on their part.

I say they are jerking you around. I would call their bluff and take the pony home. There really is no guarantee that they will buy the pony after the leasing period.

Get your pony. If they were serious, they would have ponied up the dough by now. I'd even play hardball back and drop a line about already having another buyer call you, when you pick the pony up.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

yeah I agree, it doesn't sound like they want the pony, only need something to ride or show for a limited period of time? I dunno, if it were me, I'd ask for an enormous lease fee, minimum of 6 months or insist the pony be brought back asap.

I would not be allowing anyone to show a horse/pony on trial, unless they are paying a show lease.

Agree with everyone else, go get the pony.

I would bring her home. Two weeks is a generous trial, and it is already longer than what you originally agreed to when the pony left. They may keep her ANOTHER two weeks and walk away from the sale. I'd bring her home now.

So what's the status? I'm on the edge of my seat!
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

I would be wondering what big occasion is coming up in the next month. One so important that they would like to keep what is obviously a pony suitable for the occasion.

Bring her home.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Default go get the pony

They either want it or they don't. They are counting on you to cave in.