The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 136
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2011
    Posts
    100

    Default pony on trial - concerns!

    I let my DD's pony go on trial 3 hours away to a beautiful well-known barn. Our trainer knows the owner/trainer of the barn and thought the pony would be a good fit for their rider. We agreed to a one week trail. During this trial, they liked her and vetted her. She passed vetting. They do have her out on a one-week contract.

    At the end of their trial week, they asked if they could lease her for 3 more weeks for 10% of her asking price and if all goes well they will pay asking price. We said no - they could keep her an additional week and the answer was supposed to come today. We did not want to loose out any other potential buyers by having her leave for a month.

    Well, this am their trainer called and said they want a one-month lease (for 10% asking) and if things go well they will buy after a month (full asking). If we say no, come and get her today. My trainer says she would let her stay.


    I am annoyed and angry at this situation. I would never have agreed to a one month trial. I do not know what to do. My DD is distraught over how long this is taking (she also is not riding because I cannot buy her a horse until her pony is sold).

    I certainly do not want to loose a sale because I am angry at how this is being handled - but there is no guarantee they will actually buy her. Not sure if we are being jerked around.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2003
    Location
    Where is gets way too cold
    Posts
    3,975

    Default

    You have the authority here. It is well within reason for you to say put up or shut up. It sounds like they like the pony and will probably buy her. They should know if it is a fit by now. Tell them that you need an answer now so that you can purchase another horse.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan. 24, 2004
    Location
    Sergeantsville, NJ
    Posts
    2,540

    Default

    How long was she on the market before this buyer asked for a trial? Priced competitively with no issues? If so, I'd call their bluff. You said no to them, then their trainer called to say the same thing? Has the trainer been speaking to you directly or to your trainer? Sounds like they are afraid of making a commitment - what happens if they're still afraid after the one month is over? Another month? What is the story on the buyer? I'd want some answers before even considering it.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec. 14, 2012
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Interesting situation. Do you have others actively interested in her right now? I mean, others who want to take her on a week trial as well?

    Can you ask for a greater amount in exchange for them keeping her for a full month? Maybe 50% (or whatever, that's just a number) would make it worthwhile to you? Or ask them to buy her and offer to hold the check/refund their money less whatever % after that month?

    If you don't have other interested buyers, I would consider it. If you do, and you think you can make the sale, don't. That's not much help, I know. I guess I'm concerned that a lot can happen in a month - what if they decide they don't want her in the end and you get a lame pony back?? Good luck, it's a tough call!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2011
    Posts
    100

    Default

    I have not been speaking to the buyers directly. I know nothing about them. It's all been done through my trainer and their trainer.

    She has only actively been on the market for about a month (where she has been advertised). My trainer was quietly making calls about her previously to people she knew. I know that my trainer has received some calls/emails on her within the last 2 weeks but I know that you may never hear from any of them again! It's not like we have people lined up to buy her... The pony has no issues.

    I asked my trainer about upping the price to lease for the month and she didn't think that was a good idea. I need to give them back an answer tonight. I am just so torn not knowing what the "right" answer is!

    It's a buyers world. I get that.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2011
    Posts
    100

    Default

    And yes, she is competitively priced. I was told the potential buyer can "well afford" her. So money does not seem to be a factor here...



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul. 28, 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,028

    Default

    They should know by now whether it is a good fit riding-wise. I think you should say no. I sent a perfectly sound horse out on trial, and now it is lame. I don't know why or how it got lame, but now I can no longer say it was always sound.

    If they need more time to make up their minds, they can do so while the pony is in your care and being looked at by others. The trial is over and no sale, and I don't think you have any obligation despite the vetting etc.

    You took a risk sending the pony out on trial. And even if this sale doesn't work out, you have a pony that people liked and that vetted well. You are winning so far.
    friend of bar.ka


    19 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr. 6, 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,084

    Default

    I'm in the put up or shut up camp. Either she's what you want or not. The longer she goes on trial the more likely something might come up or pony gets hurt.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.


    9 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2011
    Posts
    100

    Default

    I'm not sure if my first post was a bit confusing, but she was on a one-week trial (which ended 1 week ago) and I let her go for another week instead of the 3 additional weeks they wanted. So they have had her for 2 weeks in total.

    After their trainer knew we only were letting them have her for one additional week (with today being the deadline) they asked AGAIN for a month lease on top of these 2 weeks they already had her. This is what has me going batty!

    I'm also more of the put up or shut up type too - but my trainer is not so much... I do want the pony sold - but they may not even buy her in a month.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2003
    Location
    Where is gets way too cold
    Posts
    3,975

    Default

    I'd be worried, as was said above, that they'll still be wishy-washy after a month. Or they'll turn her down in a month. Or she'll be hurt in a month.
    If you think she'll be hard to sell, it may be worthwhile entertaining these folks somewhat. If you don't think she'll be hard to sell, I'd get much firmer and let them buy or walk.
    Maybe YOU can be the bad guy, if your trainer and the trial trainer are buddies and your trainer is trying to give them what they want, to take the pressure off of your trainer.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May. 25, 2006
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    I would politely say no---if they are legitimate buyers and are genuine they will stick to your agreement---and not play games!


    9 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May. 7, 2004
    Location
    Linden, CA
    Posts
    869

    Default

    Ditherers are hard to deal with. I would bring her home. If they want to take her back, they can buy her and keep her forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.


    13 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2004
    Location
    South Park
    Posts
    3,281

    Default

    I would say no. 2 weeks is long enough to see if they are a good match. Time for them to make up their mind.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.


    12 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan. 31, 2010
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    3,900

    Default

    Do you know WHY they want the trial extension? If they went as far as to do the PPE I would assume they are pretty serious. If they have a good reason, such as kiddo has been sick, then maybe you can work with them somehow. Maybe they had a bad previous buying experience? Are worried the pony is drugged?

    I would find out WHY, and then see if you can reach a compromise.

    I would make sure that if you DO leave the pony, it isn't being taken to shows to try it in a show setting without your permission...that is the only other reason I can see pushing for such a long extension.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!


    4 members found this post helpful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2011
    Posts
    100

    Default

    They have not given a reason as to why. I asked my trainer and she said they did not give her a reason - only this ultimatum: one month lease or take her back home today. I am going to push her to find out why because I would like to make this work.

    I believe it is because they want to take her to a big AA show the first weekend in May.... We told them during their 2 week trial that they were allowed to take her off property and they could show her but I do not believe they did.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    17,273

    Default

    Perhaps they're really looking for a horse to lease, and think they can talk you into that situation if they ask you a month at a time?

    If you'd consider a formal lease, maybe it would be worth taking about how that could be structured?


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2011
    Posts
    84

    Default

    My first thought was that they probably wanted to extend the trial so they could show her without pay show lease rates. As others have said, the longer they have her, the more likely something will go wrong. I would bring her back, especially since it's show season and DD will be stuck without a horse for at least a month if you allow them to keep the pony.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec. 27, 2001
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    6,698

    Default

    Unless you would be happy leasing her out long term rather than selling her, I think you are being taken for a ride. Just FYI, in other disciplines (such as dressage and eventing), buyers ride the horse a few times, do a PPE, and buy or decline to buy.

    Leasing can go wrong so many ways. Your pony has passed a PPE and been with them for 2 weeks. I'd go get her. If she's nice, you'll find her a good home sooner rather than later. How will you feel if you allow them to browbeat you into something you didn't want? If it doesn't end in a sale, used. If it does, uncomfortable.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

    His new little brother


    5 members found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul. 26, 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Canada.
    Posts
    6,366

    Default

    I would tell them that they had a two week trial, more than fair. If they are interested in a lease, its the standard 33% lease fee which can come off the sale price if they persue that.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr. 24, 2002
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    812

    Default

    I think the answer should be no extension of the time to try her. They can bring her back to your barn - at their expense as they were to have a one week then two week trial. They can come to your barn and rider her if they need some additional saddle time. If they want to show her, is your trainer perhaps going to the same show? Maybe the pony can go with your trainer and your daughter can show her and the prospective buyer can rider her in a class or two to see how she reacts in a show environment.

    Two weeks is enough time to make up your mind.



Similar Threads

  1. Pony going on trial tomorrow - feeling sad
    By jenct in forum Off Course
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Aug. 6, 2012, 01:08 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: Jun. 22, 2011, 10:04 AM
  3. Pony missing after 10 day trial-Florida
    By Alter-ramma in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Nov. 17, 2010, 12:07 PM
  4. Young Pony Concerns
    By katie16 in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Mar. 31, 2010, 04:15 PM
  5. Mackall and Polo Pony trial
    By LauraKY in forum Off Course
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep. 27, 2009, 10:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •