The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Affordable dog containment methods (short periods, semi-supervised)

New dog has proven to be much more of an adventurer than my Cavalier. He's started wandering off when I'm riding, so I've been shutting both dogs in the barn while I ride. While this is a fine solution, I'd love for them to still get some outside time while I'm riding since they're stuck inside all day while I'm at work. I've been looking into used chain link kennels on Craigslist, but no luck so far. Chain link kennels are pretty expensive brand new, so I would prefer not to go that route. Any suggestions for more affordable alternatives? I need something with a decent height since new dog, despite being fairly small, has springs for legs (he can easily jump on top of a round bale from the ground). I don't think I need anything hardcore since it will be used for an hour max and I can place it by the ring to keep an eye on them.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

X-pen? I have a four foot one that is about 10' in diameter when set up.

This isn't mine, but they're really all about the same:

http://www.overstock.com/Pet-Supplie...3/product.html

You can even get tops for them, or use a tarp.

Or just tie the dog out with a long leash?

I would try a cable tie/ chain, if it's just for an hour or so.

Tie him outside for an hour-he won't die.

A tie out plus an x-pen as a backup in case he tests the tie out.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    A tie out plus an x-pen as a backup in case he tests the tie out.
    I might be a little hesitant to try that with a dog that jumps, unless there's a top on the pen, or the rope is long enough that he can come all the way down the the ground if he does go over. Might hang himself otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I might be a little hesitant to try that with a dog that jumps, unless there's a top on the pen, or the rope is long enough that he can come all the way down the the ground if he does go over. Might hang himself otherwise...
    The way I would set it up would be a very short tie out (long enough to circle and lay down) so that even if the dog launched it wouldn't touch the sides of the xpen. The xpen would serve as a visual deterrent from testing the tie out and act as a second method of containment if the tie out was ripped out. I agree that having a rope long enough for the dog to get near the fence line could result in a very ugly accident.

If you have 2 trees you could do an overhead trolley line very easily.

Would he respect an electric fence type thing? We have one that you can move the unit around and set varying radii based on what you need at the moment. Would be easily movable and smaller to store than a pen/fence.

I'd just get a good old fashioned cable tie out. Screw it into the ground and go from there. Probably the cheapest option. You can pretty easily remove it if you need to.

Otherwise, if the dog will respect an electric collar, there are portable units that give a certain radius of movement (so it would be like being on a tie out without the cable).

I don't really understand your goal here- you say you want them to "get some outside time", but what benefit do they get from being popped into a small x-pen or put on a tether? they probably have more space to move around if shut inside the barn.

If you want them to be able to move around, you could try running an invisible fence (or even a real fence) all around the farm property, then they could safely wander while you ride.

Most dogs find "tethering" to be very frustrating, and many people believe it's unsafe (for both the dogs and anyone else who is around) so you might want to avoid that one.