The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Chicken soup for dinner

What's your favorite recipe?

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I don't have a fave recipe but I can describe what I'd like to eat to you and you can figure it out from there.

1. Chunks of chicken. Not cubes. Acutal chicken that looks like it was ripped apart.

2. Vegetables. Carrots, a bit of onion, celery, and maybe something else to add some flavor.

3. A hint of spice. Not enough to be spicy but just enough to add some flavor. Maybe some cinnamon too.

4. Nice firm noodles.

5. Soup crackers.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I do a roux base then stretch it with milk and a can of evaporated milk, add dry chicken stock, a little bit of chile and tumeric/curry spices then cubed cooked chicken (deglaze the pan with milk and throw that in too) and plain old bag of mixed vegies added in, cook until they are all one. It's pretty basic and simple but we love that rich "broth" sauce. Throw a biscuit in it and it's chicken and dumplings.

Sliced fresh ginger root. Just a couple of pieces will put Zing into your chicken soup taste buds. Try it with a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup to get a feel for the spice if you've never used it before.

Got this from an organic cookbook long ago and adapted it a little over the years. Take a whole chicken, rinse. Put in a big pot, cover with water. Add a couple of glugs of soy sauce and about a cup of sliced celery, including the leaves. Simmer for at least an hour or until the chicken is cooked through. Take the chicken out and put on a plate. Bring the remaining broth to a slow boil and add 2 bags of frozen noodles (12 oz each) or a pound or so of dry noodles. If you don't think you have enough broth to cook that many noodles, add some canned chicken broth. While the noodles are cooking, tear the meat off the chicken and add back to pot.

Simple, but really good. Enjoy!!

I never measure anything so just whatever looks right for amounts of rough chopped carrot, celery and onion, then the whole chicken, and enough water to cover and add salt and peppercorns and a bay leaf or two. Bring to a boil then simmer a few hours, and check periodically for rising scum and skim that off. Remove the chicken, strain out the old vegetables and discard (they are pretty tasteless by this time) and return the broth to the pot and bring to a simmerl at this point, I taste and adjust salt and pepper and throw in some poultry seasoning and sometimes a very small bit of nutmeg (for beef, would add oregano, thyme and a bit of allspice) but herbs and spices are very individual so experiment!! Debone the chicken and chop to bitesized. Add vegetables, hard ones first, then the soft ones, of your choice to the broth and simmer until tender and add the chicken back for the last few minutes.

While the vegetables are cooking, I used to make my own noodles but most sensible people would add store bought about half way through the cooking time of the hard vegetables (carrots, etc). If anyone is brave enough to try their own noodle making, the basic recipe is one egg per person, and enough flour to make a stiff dough. Once the dough comes together, you can go two ways - the soft North American style or the well kneaded European style. For the former, when the dough holds together well, turn onto a floured surface and lightly knead then divide into as many pieces as you have eggs. Roll thinly, keeping both the dough and the rolling pin well floured. When to roughly 1/8" thick, sprinkle the dough circle with flour, cut in half and put the floured sides together. flour again, cut and put together then flour the top surface well and roll the dough wedge into a log. Cut to the desired width with a very sharp knife. Unroll and flour the noodles again. Add slowly to a large pot of boiling water (rolling boil) and cook a smallish amount at a time. When they float, they are done. Remove to a colander and repeat until all are cooked. If you try to stuff too many of these floured noodles into the pot at once, you will have a nasty, gluey mess to clean when the pot boils over.......not if but when. Trust me.

The European method takes much longer as the dough is kneaded until it is elastic and doesn't stick to the counter surface. This dough must be rested at least 30 minutes before rolling out, or trying to feed it through a pasta machine as it strenuously objects to being flattened. The rolling and flouring and cutting is the same but rolling is going to be a bit harder and requires more strength, best to use a pasta machine if you have one. This method produces noodles that can be dried - have memories of assorted aunts hanging towels on a clothes horse, chair backs etc and draping noodles over the towels to dry. Cooking is the same as before - when the noodles float, they are done.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Well week night dinners are quick affairs ( do not get home until 8:30 -9 pm after the barn) – so no week night chicken soup – my recipe is not FAST, but it is good.

First you need a WHOLE chicken – because to make a good broth, you need to boil that sucker, bones and all.

Basic vegetables for making stock – yellow onions, carrots,celery(including the tops).

Boil the chicken (cut up) along with the vegis (roughly cut into large chunks) until the chicken meat is cooked through.

Remove the bird, and let cool – then pull the meat in chunks.

As the broth cools – ladle the fat off the top – strain through a medium to fine strainer.

Heat pot, along with a little oil (or skimmed fat) – and add diced onion and crushed garlic, cook till translucent.

Return broth to the pot, add finely diced (fresh) celery, carrots, pulled chicken – and now spices. Salt, coriander, bay leaf, and tarragon (tarragon is key).

Simmer until vegis are cooked, and flavors have combined. If you like noodles, add cooked noodles near the end of simmering.

Default And my "Mexican" version

And here is a "Mexican" variation. You can make stock as above, or just use canned stock / pre-cooked chicken. You can use left over thanksgiving turkey instead of chicken as well.

1 cut up whole chicken (or left over turkey, around 4 cups, plus two cans of chicken stock)
    1 yellow onion diced
    A ‘few’ cloves of garlic chopped
    1 can chicken stock
    1 can stewed tomatoes (with chilies if available)
    1 can diced fire roasted green chilies
    1 can corn with diced peppers (optional, can also add rinsed black beans)
    Ground coriander, chili powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and salt to taste (lots of coriander and chili pepper in mine, few table spoons)

Toppings (all or none):
    Fresh cilantro
    Fresh lime
    Shredded cheese (jack is best)
    Sour cream
    Avocado
    Tortilla “chips” (I took whole grain tortillas, cut into wedges, sprayed with cooking spray and baked in a 400° oven until crispy)

First… boil the chicken until done, remove to cool, reserve stock ( add garlic to the water, that way the house smells like garlic, rather then dead bird). Or you can just get a rotisserie chicken (or left over turkey) and more stock, and avoid the whole boiling the bird thing!

Next, heat olive oil and sauté the diced onions and garlic, along with above spices. Add shredded chicken, stir until well coated with spices.Next add “wet” ingredients, stewed tomatoes (w/ liquid), chilies (w/ liquid), corn (drain first), 1 can stock. Keep adding reserved chicken stock (or more cans) until you reach a good “soup” consistency, keep adding spices to correct as you go.

Bring to a simmer to combine flavors for a few mins, then the soup is ready to serve! Top with cheese while hot, along with any other desired toppings.

I'm a tradtionalist when it comes to chicken soup. My recipe is pretty straightforward:

Crockpot
    1 large whole chicken
    Stuff cavity with celery, onions and poultry seasoning
    cut up carrots layered in bottom of crockpot (sometimes add parsnips too)
    Lay stuffed chicken on top
    Cook on low 8 hours
    Check in 2 hours to see how much broth it's making...some chickens fill the crockpot without any extra liquid added and some need 1-2 small cans of chx broth added

I never use water and rarely have to use added broth. I don't boil for a stock either, I just crockpot it on low all day long. It makes it's own broth.

When done, remove chicken and fish out bones. (it falls apart) add some chx back into crockpot, usually 1/2 breast picked back into the broth makes a really meaty soup, leaving most of the chicken left for other meals or chx salad, etc. I boil pasta seperate, never cook pasta in soup. Makes for mushy pasta. I add pasta to bowl and spoon in soup over.

With a large chicken and a crockpot I usually have a simple, fast and easy way to make 3-4 meals out of 1 chicken and a huge pot of homemade soup too. Plus all day slow cooking it makes the house smell heavenly.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte