The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Crows eat baby rabbits!!!!!

I just saw a crow catch and eat a baby rabbit. The bunny was not a new born either, it was small, but not that small. It would fit in both my palms put together and then some. I heard crying and something was flopping around, I saw the crow attacking what I thought was a large bird. To my surprise it was a rabbit. The crow flew off with it to my gelding's paddock and I found the remains in my gelding's paddock in the grass.

I didn't know they were that much of a hunter
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Crows are special birds.

When plowing around and around a field, some rabbits would run to the edge as the ground was getting more and more bare of weeds.

Hawks would fly high overhead and dive and try to catch the running rabbits.
    Note, hawks miss way more than they catch.

So, when coming across really small rabbits that could not run, I would get off, catch them with gloves on, they bite and put them in the tractor with me and next time close to the edge, release them in the grass there.

Well, every fall, some big crows would appear out of nowhere for a few weeks and they would not hunt like the hawks, on the air, but wait on the edge of the fields and then run the rabbits down when they made it to the edge and jump on them.
    Crows would catch one and go on, unlike hawks, that kept coming for more.

I wonder how your crow caught it's rabbit, if it dive bombed or just caught it on the ground?

Crows are opportunists. Anything & everything is fair game - from live prey to garbage.

Don't diss them for it - it's simply Nature's way.

2 members found this post helpful.

Pretty much everything eats baby rabbits. Or at least parts of them.

1 members found this post helpful.

Crows eat anything they can pick up and fly off with. Including baby song birds. They do run off hawks however.

after watching a hen choke down a mouse while running from her flock mates that all wanted it for themselves, I would not doubt that a crow would hunt.

I once had a Mocking bird nest in an old orange tree next to the garage. There were three babies that were getting big...fully feathered but not flying yet. On afternoon I saw three crows fly over the garage, then come back. One crow made a run at the nest and the male mocking bird took off chasing him away. In the meantime, the second crow made a run at the nest and mama took off chasing it away. While both parents were occupied the third crow came and stole a baby out of the nest. I was using a high pressure water hose at the time, and as the crow flew by, I got him with the hose. He dropped the baby and took off. I had to hunt for quite awhile to find the baby who I put back in the nest and everything was cool for that day, anyway.

On the other end of the spectrum, I also witnessed what good parents crows are as for several days I had an adult crow with two youngsters in tow, teaching them how to walk along power lines, and generally make their way around the farm.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

We had an old lady neighbor that one day had a crow come in the window and make itself at home.
    She made a pet out of it quickly, they both wanted company, I guess.

That crow would, when we set the table at noon, fly in our dining room and take off with a tea spoon.

Every so often the lady would bring us back a handful of them.

Crows are "special" birds, the Trickster, the coyote of the bird world.

2 members found this post helpful.

We have a hawk that likes to hang out in the pines and look down on the flock. We have a great roo who sounds the alarm and the hens all rush to safety under shrubbery, etc. There are lots of crows around but they aren't the real heroes for handling the hawk issue (I love the hawk - beautiful bird) - the mockingbirds go INSANE when the hawk comes for a visit. They dive bomb the bigger bird and hassle it until it flies off.

We do have friends that throw peanuts on top of their outbuildings in an effort to try and attract the crows in the hopes it will keep the hawks off the farm.IDK if it actually makes any difference.

I guess we're talking about real crows - those giant black things. Lots of people in town call the smaller back birds "crows" but I'm thinking they are starlings or some such. I don't think I'd ever seen a real crow until I moved south of town. Those things are huge and all over the place where I live.

I hear they like pecans which would explain why they were all over at my old house. Here at my my new house, they seem to really like my cat food. Too bad they don't eat raccoons. I'd rather have crows than 'coons.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Nope this was a huge crow and it probably caught the bunny out in the open field. It's just nature and I felt bad with all the screaming and flopping, but after reading the horror stories about rabbits tunneling under sheds and the destruction when they get out of control, this is nature.

We have lots of baby bunnies every spring and maybe this is why they are under control. BTW crows are indeed resourceful, I saw a crow "stack" yes stack old crackers I threw out for the birds and fly off with the stack! Cognitive thinking . . . possibly.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

OP crows are very smart - they are tool users and I believe the one study put their intellegence at around a 5 yr old child.

1 members found this post helpful.

Crows are extremely intelligent birds and yes, use cognitive thinking to puzzle solve. I find them fascinating.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I recently saw this very interesting documentary- made me think twice about ever doing something kind or mean to crows... they are just too smart- I'll just try to mind my own business!

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episo...-episode/5977/

I've seen crows attack a turtle, HORRIBLE way for a turtle to go........Wouldn't have been so bad to see if it was a snapper because they fight back, this turtle was defenseless.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    Nope this was a huge crow and it probably caught the bunny out in the open field. It's just nature and I felt bad with all the screaming and flopping, but after reading the horror stories about rabbits tunneling under sheds and the destruction when they get out of control, this is nature.

We have lots of baby bunnies every spring and maybe this is why they are under control. BTW crows are indeed resourceful, I saw a crow "stack" yes stack old crackers I threw out for the birds and fly off with the stack! Cognitive thinking . . . possibly.
    If it was huge might it have been a raven? I have ravens nesting in my hay shed. There is an enormous nest of very large sticks in the rafters. Not entirely sure how I feel about this. We found the head, neck and shouders of a kid (baby goat, not the human kind) that they had dropped on top of the hay stack. Nice.

I can't even imagine how far they carried it; there are no goats around here for miles.

I have tons of respect and a grudging admiration for crows and ravens but I could do without the pieces of goat
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Pretty much everything eats baby rabbits. Or at least parts of them.
    Including my big slacker cat. He grabbed one the size of oh, I don't know, a softball, and carried it by the scruff into the shop - me running in circles trying to put up the pony who I was hand grazing and screeching at the cat. No clue where it wound up in the shop, dead or alive, no clue.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Just watched this documentary and it is amazing! I knew they were smart,, but wow!
    I love crows. If I had one to feed in my neighborhood, I would totally name him Russell.

Being in the same family as Mynah birds (as are Starlings), they're excellent mimics as well. A gardening neighbor once had one land next to him while he was weeding & repeat a perfect "Hello" over & over & over. Must've been someone's handraised pet.