The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ideas for wedding registry

As uncomfortable as I feel doing it, my SO and I are putting together a gift registry for our wedding. We haven't really lived together yet due to life circumstances, so we kinda need stuff. You would think that starting from scratch would make it easy to come up with things we need, but I'm having a tough time putting together a list.

What things have you found essential? Anything we should pass on?

Bedding, towels, kitchen stuff (dishes, flatware, glassware, etc), small appliances, board games, decorative items.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I signed up for stuff that was inexpensive but more than I'd spend myself for the same object.

F'rinstance:
    Metal measuring cups & spoons - I think each set was under $10.
    I'm still using them 15 years later and still would not have spent that much myself.
    Cannot ever have too many towels or sets of sheets (in the threadcount you are too cheap to treat yourself to).

If you cook a lot and have friends/relatives that will pony up the $300+, go for a Kitchenaid mixer with attachments like the pasta maker or meat grinder.
    Upgrade your small appliances to deluxe models.

I may think of more.....

ybiaw:
    your sig makes me LOL - and think of the Simpsons episode where Homer is "listening" while inside his head he's dancing around singing Turkey in the Straw
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    ybiaw:
    your sig makes me LOL - and think of the Simpsons episode where Homer is "listening" while inside his head he's dancing around singing Turkey in the Straw
    Aw shucks. Thx 2DF!

We were talking out at the barn the other day that sometimes the young horses are like Homer Simpson when he zones out and you see a monkey inside his head mashing cymbals together.

I do need to change the sig line, though. My Li'l Wayne one was my favorite. ("I wish I had something intelligent to contribute, but I just listened to a Li'l Wayne song and now I just want to rhyme "money" with "money" all day.")
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

We registered for things we used but were a step 'up' from what we would buy ourselves i.e. nicer towel sets, etc. My favorites that I can think of off the top of my head were our everyday dishes and serving pieces (the Everyday White collection from BB&B), our towels, a waffle maker, and sheet sets.

Our favorites:

Really good silverware. Was probably $200 for an 8 person set, and we asked for two. Both bought for us by relatives who couldn't make the trip to be with us on the wedding day.

Dishes that are nice enough to be our "good dishes" and our everyday dishes. We got these from BBandBeyond. They are durable and attractive.

Cutting boards - used all the time and I never wanted to spend for the nice epicurious ones and I adore them.

Good knives (LOVE our Shun!) again, used all the time, and as they are purchased separately, fit lots of price ranges.

Bedding, shower curtains, towels, etc. we picked things we liked that were on the upper side of what we would spend for ourselves. Great quality and got spares for the future.

For our more individual friends who wanted to go off registry, we told them we loved all the serving dishes from this site and to surprise us. That approach actually worked really well. http://www.exoticworldgifts.com/

My then-fiance and I had already somewhat-established households, having each lived on our own for a while prior to getting married.

For the kitchen, we registered for items that were either to fill in pieces already missing or for pieces that were better quality (and would therefore last longer) than pieces were already had. We registered for a couple sheet sets and new towels, since neither of us liked the others (and we both had cheap ones!)

We also each registered for one ridiculous/frivolous item (that we wouldn't purchase ourselves at any time in the future if we didn't receive it as a gift) - he registered for a 20V DeWalt drill and I registered for a KitchenAid Artisan mixer.

We did not register for small knick-knacks or decorative items, with the exception of a rug.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

How about a house savings account?

Have people donate whatever $ they choose to your account. Give them the number and let them deposit all they want.

thinking from the accountant point of view. AND hindsight.

We didn't have a huge wedding, thus not many if any presents. We bought a house.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    How about a house savings account?

Have people donate whatever $ they choose to your account. Give them the number and let them deposit all they want.

thinking from the accountant point of view. AND hindsight.

We didn't have a huge wedding, thus not many if any presents. We bought a house.

LOL, I think Miss Manners considers that tacky. (but I guess you can always put the word out that $$ is not turned away! )

but as for the stuff to register for, above were all great ideas.

Silverware (INCLUDING serving pieces!)
    Good China, at least for 8 people! Including serving dishes (if you are so inclined)
    the good knives (not that Ronco set!) and good gadgets.

Sheets and towels
    The deal is, if they don't want to buy it for you, they don't have to!

Last to marry was a nephew, he registered at Walmart and Target. (I have to say with glee, I scored with my purchase, they liked better than what they had originally picked )

Nice bedding....

Tools are good, too, if you are living in a house that needs fixing.
    Again, register for the good stuff! We are not rich enough to buy cheap tools! (what my uncle always says)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Items that you may enjoy include a Cuisinart Food processor, good quality pots and pans like the $199 set of Cuisinart pots, baking dishes (such as pyrex), sheets, towels, good stainless steel and nice everyday dishes.

Think about the size of your apartment. When my daughter married last year, she and her now husband decided to not register for any gifts, and instructed friends that they preferred no gifts. Their entire apartment would fit in my kitchen. There is no room for anything. Close family members mostly gave money. Friends, who are mostly just starting their careers and have limited money, generally listened and did not give gifts.

My daughter and her husband were pleased with the way the no gifts policy worked. They did not have to feel guilt about having their friends spend money. The family gifts were put into an account that will eventually become a home down payment.

Wish I could put horse stuff on my registry. SO much easier to think of things that the mare needs

Ooh, this prompted my memory... My husband's favorite items were fancy grilling tools. We also got enough in gift cards to Lowe's for a new grill... They do have a registry there I believe!