The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Teen Threatens to Blow Up Horse Barn

Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

I wish there were more details.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Wow.

I am sorry he had a disagreement with the BO & staff, but you can't just make threats or talk about blowing up places no matter how mad or frustrated you may be. People need to think about their actions & what the consequences are for them.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

1 members found this post helpful.

Yet further proof that we should bring back the "stocks" on the Town Green, the Dunking Stool, and the system of fines we once had for the suppression of asshats in Connecticut.

I'm just glad they rounded him up before he actually DID it. Such was not the case with the disgruntled employee who actually did burn down Southbury's River Meadow Equestrian Center back in the 80's with the loss of many horses.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Yet further proof that we should bring back the "stocks" on the Town Green, the Dunking Stool, and the system of fines we once had for the suppression of asshats in Connecticut.

I'd go with that.

I'm just glad they rounded him up before he actually DID it. Such was not the case with the disgruntled employee who actually did burn down Southbury's River Meadow Equestrian Center back in the 80's with the loss of many horses.
    I can't even fathom the mindset of someone who would do that.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

insanity is rampant unfortunately. I am concerned about the children whose parents NEVER say no...when they get out into the real world...they may not deal well with it.

Society functions with rules and I'm sorry if they impinge upon some of what we may consider our 'rights'...but we can't always have things the way we want them and we have to accept that. Injustice is a different matter but that needs to be handled in a civilized manner. It just isn't OK to make threats or harm others.

3 members found this post helpful.

I believe a new form of mental institution is called for in modern times. Yes, there are medications, but what about the non-compliant sort of patient who repeatedly goes off their medications? The number of mentally ill that are just not doing well on their own is frightening. Many are homeless.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

1 members found this post helpful.

I know both the barn owner and the teen. Sadly, the teen seems to be truly mentally ill, and his family is unable to deal with it. Equally sadly, since he only threatened but didn't actually do anything, he'll be out in no time, and potentially able to carry out his threats. Although the barn owner who was threatened is now at a new facility, I'm not sure the teen even understands that, and I am at the old facility that he's familiar with. So I'm VERY concerned! We at the old facility are just a small group of rough boarders and we don't have someone at the property all day, so we'll all be very careful when we arrive.
    I guess I should have gotten my pistol permit before the draconian new gun laws went into effect in CT...although the pistol I'm best at shooting is the big-dog .357, not the easy to carry .22

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    I know both the barn owner and the teen. Sadly, the teen seems to be truly mentally ill, and his family is unable to deal with it. Equally sadly, since he only threatened but didn't actually do anything, he'll be out in no time, and potentially able to carry out his threats. Although the barn owner who was threatened is now at a new facility, I'm not sure the teen even understands that, and I am at the old facility that he's familiar with. So I'm VERY concerned! We at the old facility are just a small group of rough boarders and we don't have someone at the property all day, so we'll all be very careful when we arrive.
    I guess I should have gotten my pistol permit before the draconian new gun laws went into effect in CT...although the pistol I'm best at shooting is the big-dog .357, not the easy to carry .22
    I'd get a TASER and a coil of rope. That's a very scary situation and I don't envy you one bit. I hope the kid doesn't still have a horse, and does have a short attention span . . .

Very, very scary. I hope nobody takes those threats lightly. Two years ago a barn in my area was burned down by a disgruntled ex-boarder with some mental instability. She had threatened the BO several days previously and they didn't do anything about it. Two horses died and several others were injured. Incredibly sad situation that may have been preventable.

I hope nothing happens with this one.