The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Correct Jumping Positions

After looking through the current issue of the Chronicle, it seems not very many riders are learning the correct position for jumping. I am talking mostly about hunter riders and not the grand prix crowd. There are many photographs of riders who have their asses almost straight up in the air and their bodies are almost laying down the whole length of the horses' neck. I don't see how anyone can think this position is correct, not to mention the awkard photo it presents. I know this was not how I was taught when I was a kid, but then, that was a long time ago..

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh goody. This again.

17 members found this post helpful.

I propose that anytime someone brings up this topic that they first be required to post a recent picture and video of themselves. From there, we can decide to discuss or not.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

14 members found this post helpful.

I did not know that this is a subject that had been previously discussed (to death, it would appear) as I don't read every single thread every single day. I was just making an observation and did not know I was opening up a can of worms. Sorry!

Basically it started when some BNT started doing itto make it look like the horse really cracks his back... then everyone followed suit... not really everyone, but you get the picture...

Agree. Now it's rewarded at a lot of shows around here. Guess I'm just a classic. But this has been done many times over for sure.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by Davignport View Post
    I did not know that this is a subject that had been previously discussed (to death, it would appear) as I don't read every single thread every single day. I was just making an observation and did not know I was opening up a can of worms. Sorry!
    Like you, I've noticed the same thing and just don't get it. It looks just plain awkward, like the rider is trying to be overly dramatic for no reason. Oh well.

That said, I was going to bring it up on this forum, but now I know (thank you ) that it has been discussed to death. Thank you for helping me dodge that bullet.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

There have been several threads in the past year or two of pitching forward, leg swinging, and either exuberant or death grip releases in the hunters and eq. If you do a quick search I'm sure you will find several.

Quote Originally Posted by sammicat View Post
    Like you, I've noticed the same thing and just don't get it. It looks just plain awkward, like the rider is trying to be overly dramatic for no reason. Oh well.

That said, I was going to bring it up on this forum, but now I know (thank you ) that it has been discussed to death. Thank you for helping me dodge that bullet.
    You're welcome

It's not that everybody necessarily loves the look, just that you need to see the whole round for one thing. And a picture is a split second in time, not a resume. All of us who have shown a lot as ammies or kids have some iffy pictures too but we run them if the horse looks great. Especially in the Hunters where the rider is not judged.

Its also distasteful to pick random people apart who are just pictured in a magazine. especially young people or ammies who are proud of their accomplishments. If you search the topic, there are a lot of threads rehashing the same thing with the same arguments on both sides at least once a year and neither side has ever established a clear victory. So most COTHERS stick to more helpful and positive discussions and avoid the "why does everybody else ride bad", its the old glass house thing. You might also search "automatic release" or "crest release" which is the other way overdone subject dredged up yearly for the same old same old debate where everything has been said. 100 times.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Davignport View Post
    Historically threads like this become a battle grounds because the differences of opinion.

Here is just one thread you can review to see how it goes -

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...+jump+position

The search can be your friend

I understand your observation but these photos you are looking at are more often professional riders that have "been" taught to ride. Hunters being judged on the horse, that type of horse at the A levels jumps very very different. I, like you, used to think why do they lay on the neck like that? And yes many do it because of habit, but much of it comes from the way a horse does in fact jump. These professionals know how to make a horse look good and that is their job. I'm sure you see some ammy spin off of this ride style but the reality is, it's Hunters and they are getting the job done without getting in the horses way.

At the top levels these horses are very specific in their style. People will pay big bucks for an EQ horse because of it's way of going. Jumps a bit flatter and keeps it's head up where a Hunter you want it's neck to reach and bring it's knees up to it's chin.

I recently bought a new young horse as a Hunter prospect. As he has progressed in his training we are seeing a huge, lofty, round, jump come out of him. Of course we are thrilled because he's jumping like a "Hunter" but my trainers comment when I said something about riding him in the Eq... his response was flat classes, sure but with his big jump it will be more difficult because of his round power jump.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Shoot, I was looking forward to a spicy thread with lots of 'back in my day' and 'no one gallops any more' and 'the crest release is evil' and 'whatever happened to Thoroughbreds' and 'people today are spoiled' and 'all hunters are drugged'. I was kind of looking forward to a good train wreck.