The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Squeaky the feral hog:

Talking about animals and their personalities, well, yes, they do have unique personalities, each one according to their species and the individual.
    Here is one story of a feral hog, that raised by humans, has developed it's own personality that fits with his human family:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...tid=1716406566

I love each one animal for who they are, but also understand who they are as the animal they are.
    I think it is sad when some misses the animal in front of him and tries to make them furry humans with a speech impediment.
    I think that is not right for the animal, that is really nothing at all like a human.
    We need to respect animals for what they are and that is plenty, with their own personalities as who they are, not what we may superimpose on them with our wishes to make them what they are not.

I hope I explained this well.

Very cute! I like that she gets pizza and a DR pepper for a reward!

I love it!!! I really liked watching her cut cows.

I love it!! What a riot! "Some pig."
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Mine dances for food, I have to get a video...

Bluey, I think you explained it fine Animal personalities make us human, humane.
    But, but, feral hogs? Don't folks want to be rid of them?

Bluey is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by leaf View Post
    Bluey, I think you explained it fine Animal personalities make us human, humane.
    But, but, feral hogs? Don't folks want to be rid of them?
    Well, when you find a very young one, how do you kill it?

I found a den our neighbor had gassed and killed all coyote pups as they came up for air.
    Or so he thought, I found one still alive, smelling terribly of gasoline.
    I raised that with our dogs and she made a very neat dog, until she came in heat and disappeared.

I saw her a few times far off in the distance, but she went back in the wild.

Any other coyote that comes around gets shot at and if it doesn't take no for an answer, gets shot.

It is illegal now to keep any wild animal, you are supposed to take them to the game wardens, that then put them with rehabilitators.

Feral hogs? They are an invasive, very destructive species and yes, those are shot.
    I expect Squeaky is not going to harm anything.

Her is Jet, named that because she smelled like airplane fuel:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	38007  

That is one awesome pig!

That might be one of the top 5 things I have seen on the interwebs, ever.

Won't outgrow herself b/c she is a few generations away from domestics.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Wow... that is simply remarkable, and what a genuinely good man that rancher is. Pigs are wicked smart, so I'm not surprised she learned to cut and herd cattle. Go Squeaky!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Talking about animals and their personalities, well, yes, they do have unique personalities, each one according to their species and the individual.
    Here is one story of a feral hog, that raised by humans, has developed it's own personality that fits with his human family:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...tid=1716406566

I love each one animal for who they are, but also understand who they are as the animal they are.
    I think it is sad when some misses the animal in front of him and tries to make them furry humans with a speech impediment.
    I think that is not right for the animal, that is really nothing at all like a human.
    We need to respect animals for what they are and that is plenty, with their own personalities as who they are, not what we may superimpose on them with our wishes to make them what they are not.

I hope I explained this well.
    Feral hog raised by humans? Now that's a twist. 'Round here we seem to be plagued by humans who act like they were raised by feral hogs . . .

1 members found this post helpful.

Bluey is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Wow... that is simply remarkable, and what a genuinely good man that rancher is. Pigs are wicked smart, so I'm not surprised she learned to cut and herd cattle. Go Squeaky!
    What is so interesting in this story, the fellow didn't "train" Squeaky as a trainer does it's animals.
    They live together and adjust to each other and to doing what needs to be done best it works for all, the humans and the pig as the pig it is.

That is something many of us do, working cattle, our horses and dogs become an extra hand and they offer behaviors that work for the task at hand and the work gets done.

I found that interesting in that story, with a feral hog.

Yes, go, Squeaky!.

What a cool video and story. Squeaky rocks.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."