The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I loved Horse Power!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfSvFAaWUpQ

And yes, it's pretty fun living in Cali where we get to see some movie star kids ride. I watched the "Fonz'" (Henry Winkler's) daughter riding in the AO Hunters the other day...

I have a name for your reality TV show

BARN MOM'S!
    Last edited by doublesstable; Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MillysGirl View Post
    I promise to split "creator" credit with rabicon
    Why thank you lol. I've actually been thinking about that for a long time. Just don't know how to get it out there lol
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Maybe someone should video tape some of the crazy things that happen around the shows and barns and then make copies and mail it to a few networks. Once they watch it and see how much more entertaining these parent's are I'm sure someone will make it! How many other reality shows have mom's/trainers that....."put down" their ponies??

Gigi and Bella both show.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Can someone explain how you spend $300K on a single horse per year? I see a lot of upper level competitors, people who spend $35K a year on training board, do crazy injection schedules, vet checks every few days during show season, fly horses to Europe for competitions, etc. and I don't think they spend anything close to that. The one Olympic competitor I know spent about $100K on that single event. But he didn't spend $200K the rest of the year. And he was in the Olympics! Are there new ways to spend money that I need to know about? Is there a way to turn my own horse into an even greater money-burning inferno??

The girl does seem like a really nice rider. I like how Yolanda was like 'we're on a budget". I'm sure that most of her friends never hear the "b" word!

Quote Originally Posted by HRF Second Chance View Post
    The girl does seem like a really nice rider. I like how Yolanda was like 'we're on a budget". I'm sure that most of her friends never hear the "b" word!
    Budget? I don't think they truly know what a budget is..

Well a budget that most of us don't know lol.

Also I think she was saying buying that level horse plus care can run 100 to 300k. I don't think she was saying it cost 100k a year. But who knows. It's probably about 12 to 18k just to board the horse where they are. I know barns here in Ga that are 12k a year much less where they are for a nice A barn. My friend pays 550 a month for full board outside of LA not at a show barn at all. Then you factor in lessons and how many times a week. If she is taking lessons just 3 times a week that probably 8k and up a year then your vets and chiros and massages and injections or maintenance it could get pricey for sure. Then if you had 2 to do it all with even more pricey. Heck I see horses for lease around here for 50k a year then you have to pay board and upkeep. That could probably run you close to 100k a year.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

It's easily costs $100k a year to show regularily on the A circuit in so cal. One week with a BNT at a show can be $2,500. Board and training can be $3k a month.
    I've never watched RHOBH but I know of the girls, one does the a/o jumpers and one does the eq. They are beautiful and talented!

2 members found this post helpful.

I call BS on Yolanda's whining! In an episode towards the end she was saying how she wanted to buy her husband his own jet. But she can't get her kids another horse? BS!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by inne View Post
    Can someone explain how you spend $300K on a single horse per year? I see a lot of upper level competitors, people who spend $35K a year on training board, do crazy injection schedules, vet checks every few days during show season, fly horses to Europe for competitions, etc. and I don't think they spend anything close to that. The one Olympic competitor I know spent about $100K on that single event. But he didn't spend $200K the rest of the year. And he was in the Olympics! Are there new ways to spend money that I need to know about? Is there a way to turn my own horse into an even greater money-burning inferno??
    Easy to spend that kind of money....

Board training - 3,500 x 12 = 42,000.00
    Shows per week 12 shows at $4,000.00 = 48,000.00
    Vet Adiquan/Legend - 4,800.00 misc - 10,000 = 14,800.00

= 104,800.00

Not including tack, clothing, farrier, clinics etc.....

You may see it as a burning inferno but many horses at that level can be leased or sold with their experiences of showing for some big bucks. Also some can win some substantial prize money.

I know someone that purchased a horse for 40,000.00 trained it up in the Eq for a few years and LEASED it for 90,000 A YEAR. Cool right....

But where is the other $200K?

The horse could easily cost $100k alone.

But where is the other $200K?
    I thought they said 100 to 300..... maybe the purchase of a horse would bring the cost up or trailers, trucks, saddles, etc. Fuel, hotels, food at the shows... I didn't include.

I know people that have paid 350,000 just for the horse.....

Edited to add - if you gave me 300,000 to spend on one horse for the year, I would have no problem doing it and have A LOT of fun too...

3 members found this post helpful.

If you send a horse on the winter circuit and have to pay for transport, housing, training, human accommodations, food, entertainment, etc. and then on top of that pay a trainer to show during the week and you fly in for weekends first class or rent a private plan, the $$ adds up quick. I can see how someone could spend upwards of $100k on the winter circuit alone if money was no object.

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    Edited to add - if you gave me 300,000 to spend on one horse for the year, I would have no problem doing it and have A LOT of fun too...
    Me too!

and it's my birthday today, so anyone please feel free to send me that $300,000!

Janeway, Happy Birthday to you!!

And your $300,00 check is in the mail. Not!

Just for fun, here are some guesses on yearly costs for that market:

Full training board at LA areas show A/AA show barn -- my guess is $36,000 to $48,000 per year.

Farrier at high end show barn -- $3,000 to $4,000 per year

Insurance on horse -- assume $7,000 to $10,000 premium (but totally depends on how expensive a horse she has)

Chiropractor -- $3,000 per year

Vet -- probably average $3,000 per year

SmartPak/Supplements -- $2,000 per year

Lessons -- assuiming a cheap $300 per week for lessons, that is about $15,000 per year

Shows -- serious participation is circuit, I am guessing $30,000 per season (once you include travel, trainer fees, groom fees, show fees)

Misc. expenses for a privileged rider (new clothes, tack, etc.) -- $10,000 per year.

That range is $109,000 to $125,000 a year, and that is before purchasing a new horse when moving up, leasing a comparable horse if yours is off for part of the year, etc.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Janeway, Happy Birthday to you!!

And your $300,00 check is in the mail. Not!
    Thanks! and bummer

Although I can't complain because my trip to New York in two weeks is my birthday present to myself! #soexcited

Someone should make a show called Real HORSEwives! It doesn't have to just be about the mom's, it could be about all the non-working amateurs.
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.