The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

When DD was just learning to ride there were the many schooling show which you were allowed to have a test reader, DH never said anything for the longest time but one day came out with that he didn't understand what a "walking (working) trot rising" was, well of course he has never lived it down and now it is used when he does not understand something "walking trot rising" means "help me I don't get it"

When kids were teens in order to spare them great embarrassment of "I love yous" in front of friends it was shortened to "bunches" (I love you, bunches), thanks to Buzz Lightyear it then changed to "bunches, to infinity and beyond", at 24 and 20 it still works
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

"Take a red." I thought everybody used that.

"Miss on you Pister. You're not so Mucking Futch. Go Back off in your own Jack Yard" I'm not sure where that came from originally, but it's one of my mom's favorites, and none of us could say it the RIGHT way if we wanted to."

love this but doubt I would ever be able to say it!

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    "Hold 'er, Newt, she's heading for the rhubarb!" Figure that one out. (Dad's)
    I haven't a clue but my dad said the same thing but substituted sh*tpile for rhubarb. Here, rhubarb means ditch as in 'I hit a patch of ice on the road and hit the rhubarb', so I've always surmised this goes back to days of horse and buggy and the last thing you want to do is hit the ditch when that.

Have quite a few unprintable expressions in this family, but one that is not quite as bad is what mom used to say if someone had a sneezing fit - 'You're gonna blow your a hole out'; the rest are much worse!!!
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    d to say if someone had a sneezing fit - 'You're gonna blow your a hole out'; the rest are much worse!!!
    Your mom must be fun to watch.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Hmm...
    Wiblet = something or someone particularly cute.
    Assbad = As in, "Geeze slogging through muddy manure sucks assbad."
    Kittywhompus = When one of the cats has gone bonkers and knocked things askew.
    Lucite Lolitas: Big 'ole stripper-lookin' shoes, like kinky boots.

From a friend's family:

Been around since God was a boy!

It ain't the end of the earth, but you can see it from there.

From my Grandmother: There is nothing wrong with being young and stupid. Everyone is young and stupid at some point in time. It's being OLD and stupid that there is no excuse for..

A visit to the bathroom, when you don't really NEED to (typically before a long drive), is a "prophylactic pee"
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

2 members found this post helpful.

These are NZ sayings and widely used by my family:
    If asked where he was going my Uncle would be 'going to see a man about a dog' (he was going to the pub) Or he would announce he was 'going up the buwai to shoot pukekoes with a long handled shovel' in other words going to the toilet.
    When my Grandfather was 'making a wigwam for a gooses bridle' it was none of our business.
    My kids are often confuzzled (confused and puzzled)

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    When something is missing, it's "up Mike's". That comes from the poem of sorts "up Mike's, down Jake's, where they make the bellyaches". This was one of my dad's. We also said "like fun" instead of "like hell".

When asked to tell a story (or YET ANOTHER story at bedtime) my dad would say "I'll tell you a story of Annie McGorry, and now my story's begun. I'll tell you another about her big brother and now my story is done". Which of course would be answered by "no a reeeeeeal story daddy!"

I am sure there are more. I feel my daddy's presence very strongly in my vocabulary and expressions.
    I haven't read through this whole (awesome) thread yet, but just had to give you a youtube clip for your "Like fun":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Y1N1pwB64

My grandpa always used to ask "Is it blue?" when he wanted to know if traffic was coming (i.e. "Is it clear?"). I think that maybe something he learned in the Navy?
    My Mom will say "F*** them if they can't take a joke" sometimes, and I think that's hilarious. Generally when she has to slow down ahead of time to turn the truck/trailer, not when she's actually "joking"...lol.

Also, "Going on a Great Adventure" = getting lost. Another of Mom's, lol.

There are probably 100 things if I thought about it, but those are the ones that come to mind.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

My dad said "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye" when people (usually me) were complaining and "we're off like a herd of turtles" when we had taken forever to get out of the house for an outing.

I thought these were so stupid at the time and now love them.

"Confuzzled"
    "going alphabits" or "went alphabits" is a euphemism for going on an irrational, rage induced temper tantrum. It's typically used to describe my mom and her legendary rage fit one day is what coined the term.

"I'm so mad I could climb a wall with my tits" said my grandma one day, after getting into a fight Easter weekend with one of her neighbors. She came into the house, slamming the door and loudly exclaiming that in front of all the grandkids. Thankfully, our family is used to her creative expletives (and her favorite word was "shit" and she used it liberally. Which was funnier when you considered she was the organist at her church). Boobs were henceforth known as "wall climbers."

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Capall View Post
    "I'm so mad I could climb a wall with my tits" said my grandma one day, after getting into a fight Easter weekend with one of her neighbors. She came into the house, slamming the door and loudly exclaiming that in front of all the grandkids. Thankfully, our family is used to her creative expletives (and her favorite word was "shit" and she used it liberally. Which was funnier when you considered she was the organist at her church). Boobs were henceforth known as "wall climbers."

Between DH and I ... When someone is grouchy and complaining they are "arfy" or "arfing" . You know like the bark of a small dog.

Whenever my dad wanted to acknowledge that you were going to do something he's say "...pretty" such as "ride pretty", "drive pretty", etc.
    Whenever something was small it was "just learning to be a .... ".

Ok, here goes...

"*uckadoodle doo"
    "Star*ucks"

Yep. Sorry! Those are some of the less vulgar family sayings!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!