The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Cool family expressions

In my family, we are rarely without a cat. Also, my mom is not a vacuumer.

She invented the phrase "hair lung." It's like the coal miner's "black lung"-- an occupational hazard. In this case, the problem is a cat sleeping on your pillow.

What do are some of your family's useful inventions?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

We (well these are usually my -isms I make up and say)

Dog-a-hide. To the dogs, get your dog-a-hide off that couch (or where ever they are they should not be, like on my cleaned pressed white business suit).

A play on running hell bent. He/she/horse is running hell bent to become leather!

Dog starts tearing up, chewing or really playing with something. We call it, the dog is having her way with it. The horse loves to have her way with "it" too.

Some dog is nesting on your pillow.

Darkness can not fall on dark fur. IOW the b/t manchester terriers like to be under the covers at night. No nightness shall touch their dog fur. It must be protected by the cover.

Smoke 'em out. Or smoke out. Dogs get too hot under the covers, they come out panting. They were smoked out from the heat. ha ha.

A play on horses, or dogs, or crazy deer, etc. Wild-stock.

We call it "coughing up a dog lung". Coughing your dog lungs out.

Our two female terrier dogs are always having a "dog off". I sniff your butt you sniff mine and we both have our fur up. Oh yeah, yeah, oh yeah, yeah lets have a "dog off" over it.

To see who is "bigger". Opening the kamona's.

He/she showed *you* whose boss. Like passing on a 2 lane road the person speeding 300 mph just to get in front of you so that person can be "there" 5 seconds before you when it is all said and done. Then a car pulls out way up ahead and slows the hell bent to become leather person who the boss is.

Hay ho. A hole in the hay where the carolina wren couple lives.

Bird momma bird daddy. The phoebee's who live on top of the columns at our back porch. We do not have cats so we have lots of birds.

I have lots of funny sayings. Can't remember them all. But usually come up with one on the $perm of the moment when something happens or goes on.
    Last edited by rmh_rider; Apr. 18, 2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: more

2 members found this post helpful.

We refer to the occasional nasty drippage from the male dogs SCHMOOL. One of my least favorite jobs is going through the house on schmool and drool patrol, armed with Fantastic, Murphy's, and a 2-sided sponge, saved solely for this purpose. The stuff is like paint

Watching "fox tv". My dogs sit on the bed staring out the window towards the woods...hoping to see "our" fox go by. They will do this for hours. And when they do see the fox, you know. They go bat poo. So when my DH called a couple of weeks ago and asked what we were all up to, I let him know that the dogs were watching Fox TV.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh another -ism

The dogs get their fur up alot around here. Too many dog offs. They will get a ridge back. We call it their rhodesian ridge back. IOW their fur stands up on their backs. Sometimes the dog off (or they could see something else like somebody walking by at the road) is intense and the ridge goes from the top of their heads down their tail. Very funny. Soft and velvety to feel it. Nit wit dogs. These dogs have a very close short fur, so for it to stick up in a ridge back is noticeable.

One of my dogs is very terrier like. Growlie vocal, fiesty, can be stubborn. I have had many other manchesters (I showed them ALOT) but she is the first to really be a live wire of a terrier.

Also on dog offs, they can run down the fence one on each side. They dog drag race.

"Hold 'er, Newt, she's heading for the rhubarb!" Figure that one out. (Dad's)

Yuckutus, for something really gross. (Dad's)

She's horkin' up a harball. (Cat coughing up hairball.) (Mine)

I'm sure I can come up with more.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Not a family one, but rather from Survivor last night
    They described Philip as a "fun sponge" because he sucks all the fun out of the group.

We use "cinches" as a mean to tell another person to get us a beer also, as in "cinches up, why don't you get me one too." (That's from Blue Collar TV)
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

A high school friend used this term and the rest of us borrowed I after living together one summer. "endels" used for the butts of loaves. Allen of us live in different cities and households now but we all use endel. "hey you ate the last slices and now all I have for my sandwich are the endels!"
    Nature valley oats and honey granola bars are 'oaty bars' and nothing else. I've heard others use that, but some people don't know what I'm talking about also :0)
    Mrb will sing songs substituting the word "party" for "potty" whenever it's time to let the dogs out. As in "sorry for potty breakin" instead of party rockin, "potty hearty like you just don't care" and "who rocks the potty that rocks the body"... Dunno if that counts as a phrase, but certainly something that happens in our house all the time.
    We have a dog named scuba who is our resident grump, and we've started to describe other dogs' grumpy behavior as Scubish, and it's spread to describe grumbly, pissy, negative, or just downtrodden people or ominous weather, thunderstorms, sticky care doors,...

Whenever a foster dog (or the wild weimaraner) is poking around the house and getting into things we say they're job hunting or shopping.

When I was younger and my dad would be driving up somewhere, he'd often (in the time before gps) take" daddycuts" which, though guaranteed to circumvent all traffic and allow us to arrive at our destination minutes ahead of schedule, always resulted in a much longer route, more traffic, usually a three point reverse and the (inexplicably) mystified utterings of my dad. I still find myself using that term whenever appropriate. And despite my dad now having, and using, gps wherever he goes he still enacts his own daddycut interpretations of the 'alternate route' features.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

When something is missing, it's "up Mike's". That comes from the poem of sorts "up Mike's, down Jake's, where they make the bellyaches". This was one of my dad's. We also said "like fun" instead of "like hell".

When asked to tell a story (or YET ANOTHER story at bedtime) my dad would say "I'll tell you a story of Annie McGorry, and now my story's begun. I'll tell you another about her big brother and now my story is done". Which of course would be answered by "no a reeeeeeal story daddy!"

I am sure there are more. I feel my daddy's presence very strongly in my vocabulary and expressions.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

One of my grand-nieces came up with "Planet Them." It's where people (in her case, her grandparents) live because they obviously are out of touch with the reality on Planet Earth.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

"Vitiums."

My step-brother couldn't say Vitamins. So to this day, they are Vitiums, even in the other side of my family.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

"Farking" My brother's elderdog farts when he barks, especially in the car. We have coined the word "farking" for those occasions. "Oh, Nybras! Please stop farking!"

"Organized grab ass" A phrase my grandmother said. Typically refers to dogs and/or cats (could also be used for horses) rough housing. I'm sure it could be used on young humans, too, but my immediate family does not procreate. We just have dogs and cats and horses.

"Heinous F**kery Most Foul" Actually stolen from "Fool" by Christopher Moore (a family favorite), we use this when ever 2 or more of us siblings get together. Short hand is "HFMF." We also have "Heinous F**kery Most Foul- Christmas Edition." Which is a whole nother abomination.

"Waffle up, bitch." 1) A mis-type turned into a family classic for "suck it up."
    2) Also can be used when you decide to eff this day, you need to eat waffles for dinner. "I'm gonna waffle up tonight."

"Stop being gay" (go straight), "Take a liberal" (turn left), "Hang a conservative" (turn right). This started when my brother refused to say "go straight" when directing someone in the car because he felt it was like saying "change your sexual orientation (I'm not actually joking). So, we took it a little further. There was also a substitute for "take a liberal" for awhile, after my sister, my friend, and I got treated like queens by a very handsome and funny sushi chef. We would say "take sushi chef."

There's also a lot of leftovers from our extended family and culture. We still used various Dutch words that we find very funny for certain things- "spautan" (no idea how it is really spelled) for "blasphemous." Our Dutch grandmother was VERY religious and said this a lot. Our father used it, both seriously and jokingly ("You don't like Seinfeld? Spautan!"). We now use it purely because it is fun to say. There are also a whole load of WV sayings from my Mom's side- "Couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the directions were on the heel." and "Colder than a well digger's ass." are favorites.

"Destructions" is a combination of "directions" and "instructions".

"Shuggley" means unsteady or wobbly. Apparently it is a legitimate Scots word.

"er-uh-DID-uh-ry" = hereditary, based on the way a family friend who was Jewish, Cockney AND Welsh said it. She had lots of other funny pronounciations too, but that is the one that stuck.

"At least it will make a good story", consolation when everything is falling apart.

"Cat's gone mad" self explanatory.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    We refer to the occasional nasty drippage from the male dogs SCHMOOL. One of my least favorite jobs is going through the house on schmool and drool patrol, armed with Fantastic, Murphy's, and a 2-sided sponge, saved solely for this purpose. The stuff is like paint
    You mean excessive spit or something else exuding from male dogs only?

My mom grew up with a basset hound and their drool was "schpook."
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Circling the drain = he aint doing well at all.
    Whats his beak- for when your talking and cant remember someones name

You could say my dad is a bit crude – or not too shy to use foul language.

Windshield washers? Oh, those are “windshield Pissas”. And when you run out of windshield washer fluid? You ran out of “pisser juice”. My hubby has picked up this lingo from me.

And when really busy? You are “busier than a cat burying sh!t on a marble slab” - or how my dad quotes it:

“As my grandmother used to say, he is busier than a cat burying sh!t on a marble slab” (to which my mother usually comments, your grandmother did NOT say that!!)

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    There are also a whole load of WV sayings from my Mom's side- "Couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the directions were on the heel." and "Colder than a well digger's ass." are favorites.
    We have "colder then a witch's tit"

"Cleaning Frenzy" My mom would be able to tolerate our messiness for a while then she would go into a cleaning frenzy - my brother claimed that leaving stuff around the house was like chumming the water for sharks - everything got cleaned, moved or thrown out. So," I cant find my shoes, did mom have a cleaning frenzy?"

A Lamp Question = a question to which you will only accept one answer. Stemmed from the time mom asked dad's opinion on what color lamp to get. Of course mom rejected his first three choices until he gave the "right" one. To this day when I am asked a question that I know the questioner only wants their answer to, I categorize it as a Lamp Question.

3 members found this post helpful.

"It was better before you started"

Before I was born - the car was "making a funny noise" (another family expression), so my father pulled over in a lay-by to figure out what was making a noise. By the time he was done,the car wouldn't start at ALL, and they were stranded. My mother said "It was better before you started".

Applied to a wide variety of mess ups.

Many years later, the car was "making a funny noise" as we were driving through the Rockies. We pulled over and my father pulled the wheels, to discover that the mechanics who did a brake jpb before the trip had forgotten to tighten the bolts holding the brakes on, and they had come out and were rattling around in the hubcap. If he hadn't stopped to check, we would have ended up without brakes coming down the mountain.

"Funny noises" were to be taken seriously.
    Last edited by Janet; Apr. 19, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I suspect some of my family's words/sayings are somehow related to German or Yiddish.

schmutz = markings, usually on a window, usually from a dog's nose
    schnippel = little bit of food, especially lunchmeat

And many from children:
    underbrella (makes so much sense)
    suggestment = something between a suggestion and demand

I'm sure I'll remember more on my drive home!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Larva = small child or baby. Larva watching service = daycare. I've been calling children larvae since I was in high school. Larva watching service is a newer invention.
    One day we were trying to arrange a vacation with one of my husband's friends. Friend's wife was being obstructionist and kept using the kids as an excuse to nix various plans. Finally I just erupted. For whatever reason I couldn't actually remember any of the normal words for child care in the heat of the moment. I just snarled, "Look, I know this resort has a larva watching service; just call up and reserve two spots. End of problem."

It was indeed the end of problem. They've barely spoken to us since.

4 members found this post helpful.