The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any good sales on cast iron and enamel pots?

So anyone know of any good sales?

If you sign up for the Williams Sonoma mailing lists the offer 15% off sales from time to time and Cooking.com also has good sales. My favorite brand is Staub, heavier than le Cruesset
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Keep an eye out at places like Marshalls and TJMax. Last year at Marshall's I got a huge le Cruesset stock pot for $39.00- there was absolutely nothing wrong with it and the other day my mom picked one up there for almost the same price.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Ditto on Marshall's... I found a copper dutch oven to die for. $150 piece for $30.
    Also check Tuesday Morning. Fab deals when they come in.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I just got a Lodge dutch oven (which I love) and I noticed they are making an enameled version. A quick google search brought up this item from the L series:

http://www.katom.com/261-E6D50.html?zmam=29342707&zmas=1&zmac=32&zmap=261-E6D50&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=Adword&utm_ campaign=CSE&CID=pla&kw={keyword}&gclid=CM7_jJiO1b YCFaaDQgodA0sAjg

The Lodge website:
    http://www.lodgemfg.com/products

It looks like it's available at Macy's and Target as well.

1 members found this post helpful.

You get what you pay for in cast iron enamel pans.

Le Creuset is the ONLY way to go. Hind $ight is 20-20 for me on this issue. Been there done that, paid the price for "others".

And sometimes they go on sale. Cut to the chase and go Le Creuset.

I LOVE my Le Creuset.

carolprudum, Staub is HEAVIER than Le Creuset? You must be far stronger than I am! My Le Creuset skillets are so heavy, I've got to use two hands, at least if there's anything in them!

Yes, Le Creuset is a heavy pan. Very superior to cook in btw. First time I cooked something in one, I knew there was a HUGE difference.

I need no heavier pan than this.

Nobody is to touch my pans, unless you are allowed. There is a certain "law" in force and must be abided by when handling the 2 le creuset pans I have. They cost alot, I paid for them, therefore, I handle with care, and so should everybody else.

The Martha Stewart and Bella cast iron enameled pots are on sale at Macy's. I got a cute little 3 quart one for about 30 bucks.

Yes, Le Creuset is a heavy pan. Very superior to cook in btw. First time I cooked something in one, I knew there was a HUGE difference.

I need no heavier pan than this.

Nobody is to touch my pans, unless you are allowed. There is a certain "law" in force and must be abided by when handling the 2 le creuset pans I have. They cost alot, I paid for them, therefore, I handle with care, and so should everybody else.

And you know what- I have a cast iron enameled Copco baking dish. It is marked Copco, made in Denmark. I got it at the dump. Or, rather, my dad got it at the dump because I sure as hell don't look for stuff at the dump, but my dad does and gave it to me because I blew up more than one ceramic baking dish going stove-top to Broiler. I googled Copco, and it is the same company that makes those lovely plastic coffee mugs now!

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I LOVE my Le Creuset.

carolprudum, Staub is HEAVIER than Le Creuset? You must be far stronger than I am! My Le Creuset skillets are so heavy, I've got to use two hands, at least if there's anything in them!
    LOL, I'm making chili in my BIG 11 qt Staub cocotte. I bet the whole thing weighs 25 lbs easy
    Wegman's pork shoulder(9 lbs), roasted Hatch chilies (frozen last fall from Wegman's) frozen tomatillo sauce from my garden (last summer) etc. It smells soooooo good
    Yup, it's a 2 hander and I remove the lid before I move it.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I have found Le Creuset at Home Goods & TJ Maxx on occasion. They also have factory outlet stores: http://www.lcstores.com
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

eBay! I just got a cast iron pancake pan for $20 with shipping. I also have Lodge pans, mainly because I cannot afford Le Crueset, lol! I have a small skillet, and an enameled Duch Oven, which I LOVE! I make the best macaroni in it! My enameled pan obsession started with a Le Crueset Dutch Oven...I'm doomed to forever want more now.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I've used the holy whack out of my Lodge pan over the last 3 years-it isn't holding up as well as my Le Crueset but I've had it longer and I still have a lot of work for it to do. I enjoy both of them and the price point made a big difference to me at the time.

I don't use any other pans but cast iron except for one big stainless pasta pan and a small stainless fry pan. And I have bad shoulders... go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    LOL, I'm making chili in my BIG 11 qt Staub cocotte. I bet the whole thing weighs 25 lbs easy
    Wegman's pork shoulder(9 lbs), roasted Hatch chilies (frozen last fall from Wegman's) frozen tomatillo sauce from my garden (last summer) etc. It smells soooooo good
    Yup, it's a 2 hander and I remove the lid before I move it.
    Carol that sounds like my kind of chili! Do you bean or no? (Please say no)

Not cast iron but if it's not Staub I use www.copperpans.com

I love to cook....I wish I had a bigger family to EAT the stuff
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

The French enamel cast iron is very brittle and very heavy. I found a great deal on a Le Creuset Doufou, nice big dutch oven. Loved the way it cooked. Cost well over $200.

Then one day I dropped the damn thing because it is SO heavy, and it cracked right through when it hit the floor.

Another French enameled cast iron dutch oven with a double boiler insert had the handle crack off.

I'll never have another expensive enameled cast iron pot again.

You can drop Lodge and it won't crack.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I wish I could afford a Le Creuset dutch oven! I have an enameled Lodge dutch oven and frying pan (awesome that they use the same lid!) that I got for my birthday a few years ago on amazon.com. They are both holding up great so far. I love to use my dutch ovens for making no knead bread, so I do have a metal LC knob on my Lodge dutch oven lid so that its safe at the higher oven temps needed for the bread making.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

My husband and I just got an 8qt enameled cast iron Dutch oven (made in France) at Costco for about $55-ish. We prefer the Staub, but needed a Dutch oven NOW and $55 was much more budget-friendly.

All of our other cast iron (non-enamel) is Lodge, but we held off on the Lodge enameled Dutch oven because it is made in China, rather than the USA.

I've seen Le Creuset at TJ Maxx and Marshall's, as well.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.