The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Default Asian Food

Anyone else like Asian food? I like Chinese (All sorts of stuff), Thai (Pad), Vietnamese (Pho), and Korean (BBQ and rice cakes). Not a fan of Sushi or any of it's offshoots.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

LOVE Asian food. I love Thai food the best.

I am making this for supper. But will use a teenie tiny serrano, no red bell pepper, and no cilantro - parsley instead. I am using purple cabbabe, and savoy cabbage. Will add some grilled shrimp before serving!

I love rice cakes. Plain are really good. imo.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/me...-SALAD-1214311

Lex being that your location is "in the South Pacific" (wink wink) you should have some good recipes.

Yesssssss. I love Asian food with the same fervor as some love Italian food. I am very fond of Vietnamese, Thai, and Japanese food - especially sushi.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I like ginger, garlic, coconut milk, curry, and fresh veggies. So most Asian cuisine is right up my alley!

I do like sushi though. A lot.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Love all asian food. Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, and I'm open to anything.

I want to go to Cambodia this summer so we will see what I get food wise there.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    I like ginger, garlic, coconut milk, curry, and fresh veggies. So most Asian cuisine is right up my alley!

I do like sushi though. A lot.
    Good, because I wanna take you to the new Asian bistro that just opened down the road from your work. I got the menu today and it looks like it's right up your alley. Tons of Sushi for you and lots of Chinese for me.

Love it! I stocked up on buns at the Chinese bakery yesterday. Just polished off a taro bun. It was delish.

There is a special place in my heart for anything combining noodles, tofu, and vegetables. Pho and udon are regular staples of my diet.
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

LOVE IT!!! Was gifted with my still-going-strong authentic carbon-steel wok back in 1974 & both it & my rice-cooker get at least weekly use here.

Chinese is my top favorite, but other Asian cuisines get occasional table time as well. I must have at least 50 cookbooks for all of them kicking around here.

But when dining out - Japanese usually tops Chinese, since I'm a big-time sashimi lover, which is something I'm not interested in tackling at home.
    Last edited by Bacardi1; Apr. 18, 2013 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Good, because I wanna take you to the new Asian bistro that just opened down the road from your work. I got the menu today and it looks like it's right up your alley. Tons of Sushi for you and lots of Chinese for me.
    Deal! My work schedule doesn't leave much open for lunch this week. But next week might work. I'm not going to Rolex now so I've picked up some extra hours this week. Grrr.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Love! Any kind. And sushi...yum.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Love pretty much all of it- esp sushi. Of course, many of my relatives are Asian, so we eat it often in my family
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Deal! My work schedule doesn't leave much open for lunch this week. But next week might work. I'm not going to Rolex now so I've picked up some extra hours this week. Grrr.
    Well, next week I have to deal with all the unnecessary relatives coming in on Tuesday for the wedding. We can always do dinner if that works better for you.

Okay, all you Asian food aficionados, what would you serve as an appetizer and dessert to go with an Asian dinner? And what about beverages?
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

I'd serve meat/veggie Potstickers/dumplings as an appetizer. I don't know what you'd serve for dessert. Many people don't consumer Asian drinks with Asian meals so I guess you'd serve whatever people liked. Even in the Asian restaurants here, hardly anyone consumes tea and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by suzy View Post
    Okay, all you Asian food aficionados, what would you serve as an appetizer and dessert to go with an Asian dinner? And what about beverages?
    Dessert: Green Tea and/or Mango ice cream.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Quote Originally Posted by suzy View Post
    Well, you could go hog wild with appetizers, do you have a particular culture you're focusing on (ie Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Korean)?
    As for dessert, I'd go with a nice, light sorbet in something like mango or coconut. Most Asian cuisine desserts are quite different from American style desserts- they like to put stuff like bean paste in them.
    Beverages- are you talking adult beverages or non-alcoholic? If you're looking to do non- alcoholic- you could always do something like an Asian inspired iced-tea. For adult drinks- there's always sake , or cocktails made with things like tropical fruits, etc
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I'm vegetarian and hate seaweed, but just found out that I love veggie sushi with soy wraps. Absolutely delicious. Never would have thought I'd like sushi.

Come to think of it, I do see a lot of sherbert at many Asian restaurants.

Okay, slight spinoff but not really because its about sushi:

can someone please give me the basic rundown of types with descriptions? I'm not sushi-educated! I do like the california rolls and spicy sirimi (spelling?) rolls. Are these considered sushi? What is sashimi?

Thanks!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Okay, slight spinoff but not really because its about sushi:

can someone please give me the basic rundown of types with descriptions? I'm not sushi-educated! I do like the california rolls and spicy sirimi (spelling?) rolls. Are these considered sushi? What is sashimi?

Thanks!
    Sushi means slices of raw fish, mixed with, laid over or wrapped in or around special sushi rice (rice with vinegar). Although it's come to mean not just raw fish in the US, but anything served in the style of sushi (ie vegetables)
    Sashimi is simply the raw fish, often sliced very thinly.
    Maki- is a sushi roll wrapped with seaweed (nori)
    Nigiri is raw fish atop oblong shaped rice