The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Long weekend in Denver area - suggestions?

I'll be spending Memorial weekend and the couple of days following in Denver. I have a couple of friends I'll be visiting but expect to have a good amount of time to myself, too. I'm thinking about getting a car and driving to either Vail or Boulder (or both, if I have time.)

Any suggestions on what to do? I love outdoorsy activities, and it seems like there are so many around there I'm having a hard time narrowing it down! I'll be wandering around solo some of the time so I don't want to go too far from civilization, but otherwise I'm quite adventurous. Bonus if it involves horses!
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Vail is a good ways from Denver and I-70 can be a beeeotch especially since they are now doing construction on the twin tunnels. I recommend Boulder. Lots to do.

Or drive up to Estes Park and visit the Stanley Hotel and Rocky Mtn National Park. It's beautiful.

Let me know if you have any questions about the Boulder area, or if you plan to visit and want to try and meet up. I think I will be in town that weekend.
    Dreaming in Color

Or Colorado Springs, home of the Olympic Training Center, Air Force Academy and Garden of the Gods (among other things ).

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

With the recent weather we have had, it might be better to head south to the springs. Royal Gorge, Cave of the Winds and the Cliff Swellings. I love RMNP, but they don't open the road all the way up until Memorial Day weekend usually, and we have been dumped on recently. You might need to bring snow gear at the rate we are going.

If you enjoy beer, I would research the local microbreweries and brew pubs
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    With the recent weather we have had, it might be better to head south to the springs. Royal Gorge, Cave of the Winds and the Cliff Swellings. I love RMNP, but they don't open the road all the way up until Memorial Day weekend usually, and we have been dumped on recently. You might need to bring snow gear at the rate we are going.

If you enjoy beer, I would research the local microbreweries and brew pubs
    Good call on Trail Ridge road in RMNP not being open.

Garden of the Gods is a good time too and there is tons of good beer all over the state.
    Dreaming in Color

Is Laramie Square still there?
    And the restaurant in the former bank vault?
    I always used to go over to Boulder which has great shops and great people.
    Oh and the tour of Coors in Golden. Of course it tasted better when Coors was verboten back east and we had to sneak our beer back.

Oh yes and the Air Force Academy Chapel with the wonderful walls.

And one day it's 70 and the next day it's 30 and snowing. So take layers of clothing. Beautiful city and area.

The Colorado Horse Park in Parker is worth a look-see. Great natural history museum in Denver. Idaho Springs and Georgetown aren't too far out of town
    with cute downtowns, shops, eateries. Rocky Mountain National Park and Estes Park are our favorite place to go.

If you DO go into the mountains, just past Breck & the Hoosier Pass, there is a place called the Platte Ranch/Double B Riding Stables. Amy is the owner. They're fantastic and have great mountain trail rides.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I'm moving to Colorado Springs next week and was there for a visit last weekend.

Garden of the Gods is amazing. The Colorado Wolf and Wildlife Center in Divide is awesome too. We wanted to go up the Peak, but only got to 13,000 feet before they closed the road. 50 mph winds and a wind chill of -13 made it a bit chilly, but the view was amazing. I can't wait to hike up this summer.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

I'm pretty sure there is an outfit that does trail rides around Garden of the Gods?
    I've been there to hike and rock climb, and remember seeing signs.
    You could stop by the Horse Park on your way down.
    Here's their website if you want to check on what is going on:
    http://coloradohorsepark.com/

ybiaw, the Platte Ranch is just a couple of miles from my house and I have ridden my horse there
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Oh man, I didn't even think about snow. Can you tell I live in California? It sounds like Boulder and maybe south the springs instead of Vail is the way to go. And I love beer, so I'll make sure to check that out too!

drmgncolor, expect a PM from me!
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Garden of the Gods and then head further south and do this: http://www.royalgorgeziplinetours.com/

It is SO much fun! It's not as scary as you think and the people there are FANTASTIC! If you're not afraid of height and speed do the more extreme course. It's even more exciting. The normal one is good, too, and great for beginners just learning.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Last fall my sis and I sent our mom on a hot air balloon ride out of Boulder. That is a fabulous way to see the mountains!

http://hotairballoonridescolorado.com/
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

If you want to do some tack shopping there is a Dover just south of Denver and a Down Under Saddle Supply to the east of Denver where the road comes in from the airport.

Keystone and those resorts are about 2 hours from Denver and have ziplines and downhill mountain biking, etc. There's a TON of outdoor stuff to do in that area! If it snows, go snowshoeing.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

If you go down to Royal Gorge/Cañon City, there's a pretty interesting tourist train there that goes right along the Arkansas River, https://www.royalgorgeroute.com

Cave of the Winds is pretty interesting too.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket