The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Off saddle seatbone exercises

I've mentioned that I badly sprained my back last year, specifically the left side in the sacrum area. It has been a slow progress and took 6 months for the soft tissue to heal enough to be able to work on re-learning a lot of the functions I wanted my left side to do.

I'm now able to do things I used to take for granted like turn my left to out or kick with my left leg - either back or side, depending on effect I'm going for. It still takes mental concentration to do some things, but I'm getting there.

I had lots of off-horse work to fix those, but I'm lacking ideas on how to fix seatbone control, and no physical therapy exercises I can find/I have been given get to that level of control.

Right now attempts to use my left seatbone = half pass left to my horse due to the movement it takes in my shoulders to get my left seatbone down in the first place, and I'd like to re-teach myself to correctly cue things like shoulder-in, leg yield and canter on the left lead. I guess I need basic beginner exercises to regain that feel I had taken for granted. So, have any exercises for seatbone control you used to learn, or you use for students? It is a muscular issue at this point - the joints and tendons/ligaments are healed enough that I have to teach the muscles to do what I want.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

Alexander Technique lessons from someone who both teachs it and rides.

1 members found this post helpful.

I tore a group of muscles from mid inner thigh to mid abdomen and had a pelvic downslip many years ago. I had virtually no ability to influence my right seat bone for a long time and because of the downslip, I couldn't really even sit on my right seat bone. And my left side became really dominant, which a whole 'nother problem. I do a lot of yoga anyway so I started from there.

Initially I tried doing a lot of things with my right side in isolation. Stepping on and off an aerobic step with my right foot so my right side had to do the lifting and lowering (50x a day) add weights as you go. Probably the best thing I did was a yoga tree on my right side in front of a mirror, making sure my hips are level. Once I had that mastered, I started doing overhead tricep extensions transitioning into a front raise (with weights). Again focusing on level hips and strong core. It is amazing how fast that worked. Balancing and controlled movement is powerful.

Because your issue is in your back, you may need another focus.
    Maybe try extended cat, half moon, or tree slowly transitioning to warrior III. Don't worry right off the bat about getting full extension (it took me a couple of years to get it in warrior III, lol). Just shifting your balance in that direction will engage your lower back through to your hamstring. Just like with your horse the quality of the transition predicts the development and benefit.

As my yoga teacher says "struggle makes you stronger". But don't ever push into pain or discomfort. Go slow and if hurts, back off.

Of course check with your Dr or PT to make sure this is OK.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nhwr View Post
    Initially I tried doing a lot of things with my right side in isolation. Stepping on and off an aerobic step with my right foot so my right side had to do the lifting and lowering (50x a day) add weights as you go. Probably the best thing I did was a yoga tree on my right side in front of a mirror, making sure my hips are level. Once I had that mastered, I started doing overhead tricep extensions transitioning into a front raise (with weights). Again focusing on level hips and strong core. It is amazing how fast that worked. Balancing and controlled movement is powerful.

Because your issue is in your back, you may need another focus.
    Maybe try extended cat, half moon, or tree slowly transitioning to warrior III. Don't worry right off the bat about getting full extension (it took me a couple of years to get it in warrior III, lol). Just shifting your balance in that direction will engage your lower back through to your hamstring. Just like with your horse the quality of the transition predicts the development and benefit.

As my yoga teacher says "struggle makes you stronger". But don't ever push into pain or discomfort. Go slow and if hurts, back off.

Of course check with your Dr or PT to make sure this is OK.
    Thanks for these ideas!

I'm fully-go as far as exercise beyond the whole don't overdo it and cause myself pain, since the muscles aren't used to working that way anymore. Thanks for the ideas!

Practice "riding your car" with your seat bones when you drive. Of course the car seat puts you in the wrong position (anyone know of a good car seat fitter? lol) but play around with it.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

Walk across the floor on your seatbones. Now, even with a fully functional unilateral body it is a slow going venture. You don't swing your body and shoulders but sit up straight and gently lift each one and put it down.1/2 inch at a time? It is an exercise I give my students. It also teaches patience with ourselves.

Might be daunting, I don't know.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Walk across the floor on your seatbones. Now, even with a fully functional unilateral body it is a slow going venture. You don't swing your body and shoulders but sit up straight and gently lift each one and put it down.1/2 inch at a time? It is an exercise I give my students. It also teaches patience with ourselves.

“Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

A Balimo chair is excellent for isolating and controlling the movement of the pelvis.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    Practice "riding your car" with your seat bones when you drive. Of course the car seat puts you in the wrong position (anyone know of a good car seat fitter? lol) but play around with it.
    I do in the car, my desk chair, while eating...

Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post

It's a daunting idea, but sounds like a great one to develop control! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SBF View Post
    A Balimo chair is excellent for isolating and controlling the movement of the pelvis.
    I don't have one (may want to invest in one) but I have one of those balance balls people use as chairs I have been underusing, and you reminded me of it. Bonus of not only being able to feel seatbone use, but also strengthen and stabilize core...

ugh learned a new one at the gym this am.
    Romanian split squat

Back to the balance ball - ride canter departures and flying changes on a balance ball (you might have to wrap a belt through a doorknob for support when you start, those balls buck pretty hard if you're out of balance).

you might try signing up for some pilates work. it is *really* good at isolating and correcting imbalances from injury.

Balance ball is great. Also add a tennis ball to aid finding and controlling seatbones while driving your car, sitting at desk, etc. Place the ball between your two seatbones and practice raising and lowering them to influence the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    you might try signing up for some pilates work. it is *really* good at isolating and correcting imbalances from injury.
    Already done. A pilates for riders class after a biomechanics lesson so specifically aimed at me and my weaknesses/strengths. I have set exercises to do to work on my issues from it, and her videos to work on overall pilates work. This has been a HUGE part of my recovery.

Do you have a Balimo trainer anywhere near you? Balimo is not just the chair - there are other off-horse exercises as well.

And most Balimo clinics involve riding, then exercise/stretching, then more riding to see the difference.

Just came across this info.
    The exercises on all the rehabilitation pages (scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page) have been very beneficial for me.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolhorserider View Post
    Do you have a Balimo trainer anywhere near you? Balimo is not just the chair - there are other off-horse exercises as well.

And most Balimo clinics involve riding, then exercise/stretching, then more riding to see the difference.
    I don't think there are. I read about Balimo stuff here and think it sounds great, but haven't heard of anything here.

nhwr - thanks! I'll look into those. Shortly after posting this I was riding one day, tried to put weight in my left seatbone... and it worked. I have so much muscle strength to regain, and you don't realize how much you use the muscles you've gradually built up over years in the saddle until something happens and they atrophy from lack of use!