The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I agree with deltawave!

Also, at least at IEA, the higher entry fee comes with meals.

1 members found this post helpful.

Two things dw-
    1) I commend you for putting your check where your mouth is when you can't show up and ride. I think that is huge.

2) I totally, 100% agree with you! I rather go to an event, any event, than never event at all.

Yes, Cookie, the entry fee includes some food and all lessons/lectures, as well as support from staff (we WANT everyone to finish, so the floor is always open for questions, etc) at a level you won't get at HT.

I believe this is the case for Waredaca, as well. As a groom, I sat in on a few of the talks/clinics a couple of years ago...you get a lot for your money.

Same with Midsouth (though I don't know about meals. I do know they offered lots of learning opportunities, and invited the P3DE riders to participate if we wanted).

2 members found this post helpful.

AND, if you think you're getting, ummm....inured to your current level, try the 3Day. It adds a level of horsemanship, planning and strategy that doesn't exist at the HTs.

I have to thank Alison Springer who, at the GMHA T3D, took the time to explain to many newbies (including me) the technical and strategic aspects of phases A, B and C. It was a terrific education and a fantastic opportunity to get to know one of the great riders of our time. And she wasn't the only one!

(P.S. It is REALLY intimidating to stable next to someone who has Luhmulen stamped all over their trunks!)
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

3 members found this post helpful.

For some reason this conversation is reminding me of the day I was prepping for my first (bn) event ever, years ago. I was super excited and bustling around pulling mane, cleaning tack, etc. An older very "horsey classy" looking woman dropped by to visit my then-BO....she watched me for a few minutes, and said "are you getting ready for a 3 day?" (This was back when the LF was alive and well....). Even then I thought that was odd, because it was Friday, and I knew from going to Fair Hill every year with my eyes popping out of my head that no LF started on Saturday....

So I replied, "no, no, I'm doing Beginner Novice tomorrow..."

Long pause....

"Well, I suppose everyone has to start SOMEwhere..."

I thought, screw you, lady, you're damn right and I'm proud of it.

I hope we ride the heck out of our sport for years to come, in defiance of the FEI, at our homegrown LFs.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post

So I replied, "no, no, I'm doing Beginner Novice tomorrow..."

Long pause....

"Well, I suppose everyone has to start SOMEwhere..."

I thought, screw you, lady, you're damn right and I'm proud of it.

I hope we ride the heck out of our sport for years to come, in defiance of the FEI, at our homegrown LFs.
    Amen!! Having just completed my first Rec BN HT I know the feeling I had finishing double clear all around had me walking on cloud nine. I was so proud of my guy and me and it inspires me to keep challenging up. 1 down, three to go and we'll be there. Vacation days, check, money saved, check, childlike excitement, damn straight.

6 members found this post helpful.

I did the GMHA Training Level 3-Day Event in 2005 and it was the best horse experience of my entire life! The exhilaration I felt coming off cross country after a double clear endurance day was about the best "high" you can have on horseback.

I'm slowly, but surely bringing along my next event horse (pony) and I will certainly be out there at a long format event as soon as we are ready for it.

Someone told me a very long time ago that there are NO excuses in life. And I truly try to live my life that way. If you want to do something and/or believe in it, DO IT.

Whether it's money, time off, fitness, etc, you can always make it happen if you want it bad enough. And maybe that's why I've always felt that the litmus test for a "true" eventer was the classic, long format 3-day. Because it is HARD and not for the faint of heart no matter what level you are doing.

You have to sacrifice...scrounge every penny together, save up your vacation days, stand there for an hour hosing ankles after every gallop, trailer to an indoor in the winter when it's 20 degrees out and you've worked a long day at the office, put a good foundation on with a trainer but be willing to trust that training and go it alone, teach your nonhorsey family how to help in the vet box, drive 8 hours to the event in 90+ degree weather in a truck with no air conditioning...

Bottom line...if you believe in the long format, do it. Sometimes you can't appreciate the greatness of something until you've sacrificed in order to make it happen. I understand completely where Pegasusmom is coming from.
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    Just because. . . www.so8ths.com and check out the videos from the last two years. Jennifer, entry status is posted under rider info, along with the list of clinicians for this year.

ETA - My husband is a committed lower level eventer. He's just spent his first full season eventing, at age 56. If he makes it to training he will consider him self a huge success. To qualify at Novice level requires the rider to complete four novice level events. Complete. No MERs. Complete. It took about a six week commitment to a horse that gets ridden normally about 3-4 times a week to get ready for this event. This is not about getting to Rolex. It's not about giving lower level eventers more technical course (yikes), it's about providing a level of education that is being lost in eventing today.

Ok rant over.
    At 56 I did my first year of recognized competition (I'd done other things horsey all my life, but not eventing) I did really well and now have my sights set on a BN 3 day for next year with a new horse. I'll be 59 and am really psyched!!!! It's about letting us do and learn what we can never do at the 4 star level.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by CookiePony View Post
    Also, at least at IEA, the higher entry fee comes with meals.
    There's food???? I entered even before I knew there was food involved!

I can't wait to do the N3DE at IEA. My trainer thought it would be a great event to do before moving up to training level. I did have to take off extra time from work and it was a little more expensive but I believe it will be a great learning experience and well worth the time and money.
    Harmonys Maestro: 1992-2008 RIP
    Morally Grey - Training level here we come

Coconino's 3DEs are run concurrently with the regular HT. And, it's the 2nd weekend of a back-to-back pair of HTs. A lot of people make this a summer vacation type of thing, 10 days in the cool pines, etc.

It's a "in the back of my head" kind of goal. I had originally wanted to do the T3DE, but at this point in my life, I'd be happy completing the BN3DE.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Quote Originally Posted by eventerwannabe View Post
    There's food???? I entered even before I knew there was food involved!
    So if you feed them they will come?

Y'all need to take up combined driving. This was the fare at the competitor's briefing last Thursday at the Southern Pines CDE: Spiral cut ham with three different kinds of sauces, a great mixed green salad with strawberries, vegetable lasagna, baked beans, sweet cornbread muffins and butter, huge brownies, beer, wine, soda, water, biscuits. . . all gratis. We eat well. . .

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    So if you feed them they will come?

Y'all need to take up combined driving. This was the fare at the competitor's briefing last Thursday at the Southern Pines CDE: Spiral cut ham with three different kinds of sauces, a great mixed green salad with strawberries, vegetable lasagna, baked beans, sweet cornbread muffins and butter, huge brownies, beer, wine, soda, water, biscuits. . . all gratis. We eat well. . .
    Reminds me of the sailing regattas I attended with ex. Food was great provided you made it to the table before the land sharks. . . I mean teen-age boys.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I would have LOVED to do it this year, but I don't have the 4 required qualifying scores because I've been a broke student who is over $50K in debt from two degrees. I make good money now in my career, but coming up with money for recognized horse trials is a lot harder than coming up with funds for unrecognized 1 day local horse trials or local dressage and jumper shows. The mare I ride is qualified from other riders (she's gone Training), but I personally just haven't had the cash flow to compete much until this year. As it is, I JUST got my first Novice score to be added to the single BN score that I have. If I want to do this next year (my goal), I need to have the money for 3 more recognized events AND to be able to register for the Novice 3Day by May of 2014. Dropping the required scores to only needing 3 or giving some sort of caveat (if I finish on my dressage score in the 30s for 3 events, can that be enough?) would help out, from my view.
    Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

So, OP, from the responses here and the general success or lack thereof of LF events at any level in recent years, I think you have your answer: Yes, talk is cheap. It's easy, almost a no-brainer, to say in type that you hope to do a three-day, but that doesn't translate into entries.
    People talk about doing a three-day the same way they talk about losing weight -- they really DO want to do it, but when it comes to making the decisions and sacrifices required to get there, a million things get in the way.
    Once BN3DEs are being offered, the barriers to entry have been lowered about as much as they can be (and, at that level, I truly don't understand how the original concept of the 3DE can translate accurately to a level where speed and endurance, the heart of the three-day, are totally inappropriate demands for the level, but perhaps I don't understand the purpose of the N or BN three-day). Organizers have literally and figuratively made it as easy as possible to do a three-day at that point, and if competitors still can't find the time or money to enter, even if they SAY they want to do it, they don't. Time to give up and realize that, unfortunately, talk is cheap but organizing competitions that no one enters is not.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

perhaps I don't understand the purpose of the N or BN three-day
    Perhaps you are thinking that there is only ONE purpose of a 3 day event: the macho, "ultimate test" one. That's fine, but i'd offer up a couple more that might be more relevant to the lower level tests: IT'S BLOODY FUN, it's something different, and a good opportunity to take steps forward with one's horsemanship even if higher and faster are not good options.
    Click here before you buy.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverTime View Post
    So, OP, from the responses here and the general success or lack thereof of LF events at any level in recent years, I think you have your answer: Yes, talk is cheap. It's easy, almost a no-brainer, to say in type that you hope to do a three-day, but that doesn't translate into entries.
    People talk about doing a three-day the same way they talk about losing weight -- they really DO want to do it, but when it comes to making the decisions and sacrifices required to get there, a million things get in the way.
    Wow, somebody took a double dose of doggie downers today...Are you sure you read the same posts I did. I mean sure there were a few "it costs a lot, there goes the vacation", but I also read, "I would, but my horse is lame, I have no horse, I haven't had a chance to even ride" (safety does matter for both), and those like me who are working on qualifying. I would not call them wall flowers.

We're talking about a mindshift that was shaped by an International cartel, compliance by our National Organization, and lack of support from the most influential amongst us, not just for a year, but for many. You sure don't help with that whole "blah blah negative blah" viewpoint. Who is to say, other then you, that a BN/N3DE does not have the same concept of speed or endurance as a higher level. That is in the heart of the rider it is clear that anyone who's ridden through A-D has experienced something different then your average HT. As it is, I survived my own BN A-D phase (well, technically I W'd at D for my own safety) and found it amazingly hard to do properly.

Find some puppy uppers and perhaps help fan the flames of interest, not dash water on it.

JP60, just because someone doesn't wholeheartedly agree with you on a subject does not mean they are cranky. NeverTime makes a valid point- organizers have made three days easily accessible to anyone willing to ride in a recognized competition. You don't have to ride at the ULs. You don't have to be a pro or a well funded ammie. You don't need a super athlete. You need a few extra days and the willingness (like you) to do the "homework" of getting the qualifying results. There isn't even a time limit on how long it takes to get those results (as there is for a T3DE, a P3DE, or an FEI event). They've made it VERY easy for the average lower level amateur event rider to get to ride in a three day. AND, most of them provide food, coaching/clinic type situations (often with great people), seminars, and fabulous prizes.

And yet, the numbers are low.

I do think for the particular event in question, the timing just IS NOT RIGHT. I think that has a huge part in it. But I do feel that, with everything these events offer, organizers should be beating people off with big sticks and have waitlists a mile long, and volunteers coming out of their ears, based solely on the talk that goes on here and in other places. But they don't fill and they are often begging for volunteers. The events are there. There are people willing, ready, and able to educate, they FEED you, yet the numbers still aren't there. So, WHY is that?

There is nothing wrong with asking WHY. But, pretty soon, if the trend continues, we may be asking WHY the long format, of any variety, is as extinct as the dinosaurs.

Heck yeah, I'm buying good food, but then I'm just feeding the staff. But there will be a great Derby party for everyone! Do you get prizes for 8th place at HTs? Do you get free food? Do you get free clinics? Do you get free coursewalks for XC AND SJ from an international level rider and the course designer himself? Do you get free products from sponsors and goody bags? Do you get seminars on equine nutrition, conditioning, and rider tips?

It's really not that hard to get a horse fit for BN (stop him from suicide attempts? well, it is a horse!), so that will only fly for T and up. So come out, come out wherever you are. How much more "free" (you did pay an entry fee) do we have to have? *tired*

2 members found this post helpful.

YB, a valid thought. I am not against alternative thinking or disagreement, but I call out viewpoints that put a bias on the presentation. As far as I know a BN3DE was only started at SO8s three years ago (I should know, I was there for the first one). Maybe other areas had them longer, but from the general presentation it seems not for that long past.

It takes time to gather momentum and when something is fighting an initial negative inertia (dropping LF from top events) and lack of support from the top what other way is there to get people interested then to "talk it up", not down. In one way this is about sales and a viewpoint from nevertime (ironic id) does little to help promote. Sure, it is an opinion, but I (with an attempt at poor humor) was calling out the bias.

It is easy to say numbers are low, if one believes in supporting LF then the harder point is saying what can be done to help support those numbers. Perhaps writing to Organizers to adjust dates over time, asking for more publicity...something other the "why even bother with BN3DE". DW said it very well, maybe because its just fun, its different, and maybe it does not need to be scary.

Organizers may have made it easy, but it is up to us help them get people in. Read NT's comment again and find for me a statement or idea on how to do that. I'm one who wants to solve a problem, so saying "It sucks" is fine, but please follow up with how to make it better, even if it was let it go. That's what I was calling out. So NeverTime, numbers are low, how would you change it? Drop LF all together or figure a way to get people to go?