The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Would you pay for dressage-specific fitness training?

Hi everyone!

I know there are always tons of fitness-y threads on, but I was just hoping for some advice. I'm a dressage trainer and graduate student, getting my master's in kinesiology. I'm kind of weighing some life choices, and I thought a little survey and some feedback might help.

Would you pay to have a professional with a dressage-specific education train you? This is different than personal training, which is typically general fitness. This would be specifically to improve your dressage performance. Cost would be kind of a range from the lower end, where I would just assemble a training plan and it's up to you to do all of the workouts yourself, to the higher end, where I would actually work directly with you in your "off-horse" training.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any more questions that I can flesh out a bit.

Thanks!

Please travel to my area & offer a 3 day clinic!

Ideally I'd like to see the opportunity for weekly or twice-weekly sessions (sold as packages of 10 or so) - almost every rider I see could benefit, hard to say how resistant though ... I suppose if you start with an introductory package of 5 - 10 sessions ...

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes times 80 bazillion. I would do in-person stuff, probably twice a week depending on how much you charged. Please move to my city as soon as possible :-)

You could also coordinate with local dressage barns to offer group classes.

I've looked for this from personal trainers I've worked with in the past, and always been disappointed.

I've always been fascinated with fitness and how the body works. I've recently developed my own routine that is helping me tremendously and am actually toying with the idea of studying to become a certified personal trainer myself in the next couple of years to offer workouts tailored to the rider.

I personally think it's a good idea. Many personal trainers and gyms don't have any idea how to assist our riding muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Please travel to my area & offer a 3 day clinic!

Ideally I'd like to see the opportunity for weekly or twice-weekly sessions (sold as packages of 10 or so) - almost every rider I see could benefit, hard to say how resistant though ... I suppose if you start with an introductory package of 5 - 10 sessions ...
    Wow, thanks! That's really encouraging! I would love to do clinics, and I agree that most riders I meet would benefit (that's why I want to do this!)

As far as sessions, it's kind of hard for me to break it up into like an intro package or whatever, like a personal trainer would do. My philosophy very much looks at physiological markers of where you are and where you want to be and works backward from where you want to be peaking. It would be more about creating a program for you than about just working out together, but if people are more interested in being able to buy individual sessions or packages than having a full program, that would be really helpful to know. I'm sure I can figure out a way to accommodate that which would still work with my philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by beckzert View Post
    Hi everyone!

I know there are always tons of fitness-y threads on, but I was just hoping for some advice. I'm a dressage trainer and graduate student, getting my master's in kinesiology. I'm kind of weighing some life choices, and I thought a little survey and some feedback might help.

Would you pay to have a professional with a dressage-specific education train you? This is different than personal training, which is typically general fitness. This would be specifically to improve your dressage performance. Cost would be kind of a range from the lower end, where I would just assemble a training plan and it's up to you to do all of the workouts yourself, to the higher end, where I would actually work directly with you in your "off-horse" training.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any more questions that I can flesh out a bit.

Thanks!
    I think this is a very interesting idea that many would take advantage of, if you have that sort of demand in your area, and can market yourself well. Maybe to open up your potential customer base, have a similar program to market to jumping riders as well?

Wow! Once I finished school I was considering doing the personal fitness route for riders and I'm glad to see that its well received. Maybe we need a thread to share notes.

I already do group fitness but am looking for ways to get out of an office job.

Quote Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
    Many personal trainers and gyms don't have any idea how to assist our riding muscles.
    In my experience, most personal trainers at gyms don't even view horseback riding as an athletic endeavor. "But the horse does all the work... "

OP, I think it's a great idea!

I have had a wonderful book for quite awhile now, 'the riders fitness program' that is specifically aimed at equestrians. It's by dianna robin Dennis, John j mccully, and Paul m jurris. I also just hired a personal trainer that will be incorporating the books 'movements' into my workout program! I can't wait to get buff!

Last edited by HorseKrazy; Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Spelling

Don't just do it for dressage riders, us jumpers would love it, too! I have a Kinesiology degree, and briefly debated putting together something like this, but I moved to a small community without enough English riding population to support it, so I shelved the idea. If nothing else, keep us updated! It's a really interesting area of performance improvement, I think.

Heck yeah! I'll even do it online -where you set goals for me and I have to report back, etc.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!! Looks like I should give this idea the green light. My education is definitely not dressage specific, that's just the area that I've applied it, since that's what I do. But applying it to jumpers, eventers, and even endurance riders or other disciplines would not be a significant stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Heck yeah! I'll even do it online -where you set goals for me and I have to report back, etc.

Paula
    Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post

Paula
    Me too! But can you add some jumping/balance stuff?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I think you could stay pretty busy doing clinics. It's a great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

1 members found this post helpful.

I actually looked for something like this when I was only riding twice a week. I wouldn't have time now that I ride almost every day, but a clinic would be great so I could do it at home.

Absolutely! And if you want a guinea pig to work with at a distance while you develop ideas, I'd be happy to volunteer. ;-)

I agree that you could keep busy with clinics and online tailoring based on time, level, amount of saddle vs. gym time, etc., would all be amazing and I know I would love to pay for that! I've done pilates for riders clinics and will again in the future, but an overall fitness regime specific to me and my riding would be amazeballs.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Another yes from me!!!

absolutely! If you went to a dressage focused area and marketed yourself to the pros with lesson programs as a supplemental offering, you'd probably have more work than you know what to do with!
    Me personally, I'd prefer group classes over personal sessions.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble