The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Officially hanging out a new shingle

The number of threads along the lines of "I Have all these expectations of my BO/Boarder/Trainer/Friend that they're not living up to! How do I get them to do what I want??" or "I'm paying for something that I'm not getting! What do I do??" got me thinking.

It's ironic that as a group there are so many situations that involve serious money and/or liability, where people do not cover themselves with a contract. And yet at the same time resist talking about what they want and need either up-front, or after the fact.

So forget about Animal Communicators. I think I will hang up a shingle as a Horsepeople Communicator. We'll sit in the tackroom and I'll hover my hands over their backs and tell them what the other one is thinking. There would be that mystical moment of healing and mutual understanding, plus I can write off all those the new-age soundscape music CDs that I hoard, as a business expense.

I hope this does not constitute advertising
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

9 members found this post helpful.

I'm working on a line of nutriceutical supplements you can hawk at your sessions. It's called Golden Premium Silver Pro Platinum Deluxe Plus, and it balances pH, realigns karma, exfoliates the hindgut, and cures anxiety, spavin, bots, depression, body aches, hormone fluctuations, and waxy yellow build-up. Ingredients: flax seed and caffeine.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm a writer. Can I do brochures for y'all?
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh, this is priceless!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

This is a great idea! My stablemate accidentally takes my stable blanket all the time even though mine is clearly newer than hers - perhaps you could align our chakras so she will stop doing this? Sure, "telling her" might work but that's hard. Also, what does my trainer *really* think of my riding? When she says "wonderful!" does she mean "wonderful" or does she mean "I don't even know what that's supposed to be but this is clearly a lost cause so whatever"? TELL ME!

2 members found this post helpful.