The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Verbindend bit

Anyone use them - love/hate them? How do they run size wise - do you use the same size you do in a normal snaffle?

I use a verbindend on two of mine, and they like it and so do I. I personally think the verbindend comes up a bit skimpy on size (I googled after buying the first one and found many other people saying the same) and would have gone a little bigger than my regular snaffle sizing had I known.

When you call Neue Schule directly they are extremely helpful. I found the sizes to be true but have only two of their bits so am no expert.

I have the Verbindend, it was recommended by NS to go up a size from my Sprenger due to the slight forward curve. My mare enjoys this bit and she works well in it.

I have a few Neue Schule bits and my horse likes them.

If you don't want to shell out a lot of money, Cotswoldsport has a similar mouthpiece http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tongue-Sav...item1c2e9cd962 on their bits (kimberwick, loose ring, D ring) and my horse really likes the shape of the bit. I ordered off of ebay and with the exchange and customs it came to roughly $100.

...oh and I did go up half a size and it fit.