The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out. I would love an Andalusian, and I help rescue many horses each year through the rescue. Because I work in rescue, I don't have the funds to purchase an Andy, though, so I admire from afar. I saw the two mares posted on the Give Aways forum, but if I finally get an Andy I would like a registered one that I could possibly show. I'm NOT insensitive to the plight of rescue horses (I have five here that I'm feeding myself and almost 700 that I'm responsible for through BEHS). But if I am going to take on another permanent mouth to feed, I want to take on the exact horse I want. (And if that makes me a criminal, so be it!).
    Just as you would not place a horse from your rescue in the wrong home, why would anyone expect you to take in that one more personal horse that is not exactly what you want, just because he is one more of so many unwanted horses?

Just hang on in there for exactly what will fit for you, only you know best.
    By the way, andalusians are wonderful horses, but they are a very specific kind of horse with very specific traits, not a more general, versatile horse you can do most anything with, although you can find in them, as in all horses, some that may do it all.

Purebred ones tend to be, if the jerezano, the heavier type, used for both, high school demonstrations and driving, of restricted gaits.
    Neither of both basic types, the other the leaner cartujano, really are much of a forward horse, which is great for what they were bred for, but maybe not for so much we do today with our horses.
    Now, crossed right, you can have most anything you want, as they pass on their wonderful puppy dog, happy, willing disposition and their gaits improve if you cross with other breeds with very nice gaits.

I hope some day you get just the horse you want, there is one out there.

2 members found this post helpful.

I hardly think you would be a criminal if you want the right horse for you.
    You've taken care of so many others.

Thanks for pointing that out. I would love an Andalusian, and I help rescue many horses each year through the rescue. Because I work in rescue, I don't have the funds to purchase an Andy, though, so I admire from afar. I saw the two mares posted on the Give Aways forum, but if I finally get an Andy I would like a registered one that I could possibly show. I'm NOT insensitive to the plight of rescue horses (I have five here that I'm feeding myself and almost 700 that I'm responsible for through BEHS). But if I am going to take on another permanent mouth to feed, I want to take on the exact horse I want. (And if that makes me a criminal, so be it!).

1 members found this post helpful.

I used to ride an andalusian a friends horse, that was trained to First Level.
    He was small, Grey and full of personality, he was always trying to please.
    Their gaits are a bit different for someone like me who is used to TB's
    He was a sweetheart!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    I hardly think you would be a criminal if you want the right horse for you.
    You've taken care of so many others.
    I was a bit sarcastic with that (maybe I had too much sugar? ).

I do wish everyone would adopt a rescue horse, preferably from Bluebonnet so I would run out of horses and get to sit in my porch swing more! But I know that adoption isn't always right for everyone - sometimes people want a specific horse with a specific skill set that we don't have, some people don't like how adoption works, etc. And that fits me - I like the way Andalusians move (I love horses with huge trots) and I love the personalities of the ones I have met. My goal is to eventually adopt from the rescue (because I think I should do what I ask others to do!) but also to maybe one day get a young Andy I can train and ride. I just got irritated with the 'there were Andies needing rescue! Where are all you rescue people?' type post.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

2 members found this post helpful.

LOL I can't blame you for getting annoyed. It's easy to sit and point fingers.
    I hope the economy picks up more - you'd probably have more people getting a rescue then. I also think if you're patient when looking and are diligent - you can probably find what you're looking for at a rescue. All types may end up there.
    Is there an Andy rescue out there?? Up here recently there was a whole slew of Paso Fino babies that came through. Although they were bred for quantity not for quality.
    You're out there doing it - everybody else can just shut up LOL

I was a bit sarcastic with that (maybe I had too much sugar? ).

I do wish everyone would adopt a rescue horse, preferably from Bluebonnet so I would run out of horses and get to sit in my porch swing more! But I know that adoption isn't always right for everyone - sometimes people want a specific horse with a specific skill set that we don't have, some people don't like how adoption works, etc. And that fits me - I like the way Andalusians move (I love horses with huge trots) and I love the personalities of the ones I have met. My goal is to eventually adopt from the rescue (because I think I should do what I ask others to do!) but also to maybe one day get a young Andy I can train and ride. I just got irritated with the 'there were Andies needing rescue! Where are all you rescue people?' type post.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    LOL I can't blame you for getting annoyed. It's easy to sit and point fingers.
    I hope the economy picks up more - you'd probably have more people getting a rescue then. I also think if you're patient when looking and are diligent - you can probably find what you're looking for at a rescue. All types may end up there.
    Is there an Andy rescue out there?? Up here recently there was a whole slew of Paso Fino babies that came through. Although they were bred for quantity not for quality.
    You're out there doing it - everybody else can just shut up LOL
    *laugh* We've had some Andies in the rescue - it was where I met the first one and got hooked. At the time, DH and I were still in grad. school and couldn't afford another full time horse or I wouldn't have let him go!

We'll see what the future brings. My personal horses are aging, and eventually I'll adopt AND possibly get an Andy.

And I do pray daily for an improving economy so fewer horses need the rescue and we can get more of the horses in the rescue moved out (well, that's not the only reasons - I want a better life for a lot of people, too! ).
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm with ya on the economy!! I keep hearing it's getting better - but haven't seen much of it yet.

*laugh* We've had some Andies in the rescue - it was where I met the first one and got hooked. At the time, DH and I were still in grad. school and couldn't afford another full time horse or I wouldn't have let him go!

We'll see what the future brings. My personal horses are aging, and eventually I'll adopt AND possibly get an Andy.

And I do pray daily for an improving economy so fewer horses need the rescue and we can get more of the horses in the rescue moved out (well, that's not the only reasons - I want a better life for a lot of people, too! ).

1 members found this post helpful.

Not all Iberians are expensive I know of a few US Breeders that are within normal prices, and as the US bred ones are DNA tested and the Spanish ones are not there is some question as to the Purity of some of the horses coming out of Spain at the moment. They have PRE papers but no DNA to back it up and some of the colors are a little, shall we say odd. US born horses are not always inscribed in the Spanish stud book (owners choice) but they are Pure Spanish Horses and some would say were slightly better than some that are coming in at the moment, and when you consider that it costs 10,000 plus dollars to import one a US bred one seems to be a better option. This Spanish Horses going to slaughter is not a true story. It was invented by a newspaper and the breeder, that they refer to has only just been informed that his horses are going to laughter! By the Foundation, IALHA and other Iberian institutions that want to help. He has horses for sale and they are cheap but none are going to auction. He is considering suing the newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Riding at 90 View Post
    ... It was invented by a newspaper and the breeder, that they refer to has only just been informed that his horses are going to laughter! By the Foundation, IALHA and other Iberian institutions that want to help. He has horses for sale and they are cheap but none are going to auction. He is considering suing the newspaper.
    So which is it...invented by the news paper and breeder or he has only just been informed that his horses are going to Slaughter?

By news paper you mean AP?

This is on the breeders web page:

We are currently in a period of liquidation of our livestock, so we are offering for sale our animals, at a very very low.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

If you go here:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...se/45648528483

And find the post about this story and read all the comments you will find the breeders link and a few other interesting post from one or two who live there. No mention of it being fabricated yet. Several have posted that they have attempted to reach the breeder with no luck. One story about a PRE foal that was saved from slaughter.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by MSP View Post
    If you go here:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...se/45648528483

And find the post about this story and read all the comments you will find the breeders link and a few other interesting post from one or two who live there. No mention of it being fabricated yet. Several have posted that they have attempted to reach the breeder with no luck. One story about a PRE foal that was saved from slaughter.
    Similar to what happened with arabians many years ago, where they were sold for incredible prices, until the economy crashed and people lost so much money on them and could not give them away, or quarter horses of certain breeding six years ago, when the economy also tanked and many were left with breeding herds and nowhere to go with their offspring, to the point that the AQHA only registered 1/3 as many and in the past 6 years has averaged only 1/2 registrations from years before that.

When we have an oversupply of gadgets, they are stored away.
    We can't do that with horses, they have to be cared for, feed and vet and farrier and pay boarding, etc. on them all along, even when people lose their jobs and don't have money for their families.