The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spains Economy Affecting Horses

http://news.yahoo.com/legendary-hors...070920044.html

And yet, they still bred their mares last year. I hope they find homes for all of them.

There was a blurb started by 7arabians about it - they are also now breeding for slaughter.
    I'll see if I can't find the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/legendary-hors...070920044.html

And yet, they still bred their mares last year. I hope they find homes for all of them.
    "Many breeders have gone out of business and those that remain are breeding fewer horses, said Leopoldo Fernandez, president of the Spain-based Union of Breeders of Spanish Horses association."

I hope some of the North American fans and breeders that are not as hard hit by the economic downturn are aware and trying to assist.

I hardly think the Pura Raza breeders are breeding 'for slaughter'.

I would hope not.

Like other breeders around the world many have downsized. Yeguda Miliar reduced breeding to just replacement.

Here is an example of HSUS interferring and how it went bad

It used to be that during the bull fight the horse would be gored and very few would survive this barbaric practice.

Enter HSUS and other rara groups.

They put protective pads around the blind folded horse.

Before..6000 were killed per year (a horrific number)

Now..about 3800-4000 are killed BUT the problem is..they do not get killed the first time...they must fight, terrified time after time after time

We told the HSUS this was wrong and this is exactly what would happen and we would support them to remove the horses but "negotiating" a padded senerio was not going to be the answer.

Removing the horse IS a major step within this culture. It could have been done but HSUS moved on after their last major financial drive during the late 80's and one attempt in the very early 90's.

1 members found this post helpful.

I know it's Wikipedia but Wikipedia says that picadors' horses started wearing padding in 1928...HSUS wasn't founded until almost thirty years later. How did they have any say in whether the horses wore padding or not?

Then there's this from 1957....which doesn't seem to have anything to say about RARAs advocating padding for horses but the bullfighting industry itself wanting it.

Spanish bullfights are as delicately put together as Swiss watches, and when one thing gets out of adjustment, everything else does too. Recently the Spanish government ordered the padding on the picadors' horses cut from 80 kilograms to 15—and everything about the bullfight was affected, from the gate receipts to the number of ears awarded by the judges.

The picador's job is to mount an old and expendable nag and ride out with a steel-pointed spear which he jabs several times into the bull's neck muscle. The bull, with his power to gore and toss thus reduced, is then taken over and worked by the matador.

On a well-padded horse the picador is safe and can jab away until the bull is thoroughly workable. But on one with little padding, or none, the picador is likely to find himself on his own two feet, with a gored and dying horse on one side and a charging bull on the other. Faced with this possibility he can't work nearly as well and is able to do far less toward weakening the bull for the kill. Some matadors dislike this; they prefer to have the picador deliver up to them half-debilitated bulls rather than furiously aroused ones. Others meet the new challenge with a courage which forces the ecstatic judges to award more than the usual number of ears and tails.

After a few days of using the thinner padding in Madrid, bullfight managers wailed last week that the rule would ruin their business: the sight of eviscerated horses would drive the tourists away forever. Besides, even old plugs cost money and the 10-day festival of San Isidro had seen 12 of them gored, killed and dragged away. The weight limit on padding was raised in mid-festival to 25 kilograms, and cynics predicted that it would eventually climb back to 60.

In view of the fact that the government had ordered padding put on the picadors' horses in the first place (in 1928) why had it backtracked now? Well, the feeling has been growing in Spain the last few years that, what with purging and starving animals to make them weak, shaving horns to make them hypersensitive and dulling them to make them harmless, the bullfight was being rigged just a little too strongly against the bull.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

That is so sad - and here I am, actively looking for an Iberian, but they are all so expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    I know it's Wikipedia but Wikipedia says that picadors' horses started wearing padding in 1928...HSUS wasn't founded until almost thirty years later. How did they have any say in whether the horses wore padding or not?

Then there's this from 1957....which doesn't seem to have anything to say about RARAs advocating padding for horses but the bullfighting industry itself wanting it.
    The Hemmingway Papers...Bullfighting is not a sport, it is a tragedy deals with the number (6000) horses per year. Although they COULD use padding they did not and definitely NOT at Seville. We were there early 70's and went to the ring and NONE of the horses were padded. The horse was always dragged out of the ring before the bull as a sign of respect for the bull...

HSUS was approached by the Countess Belecazar ( a world renowned Arabian Horse breeder).

Her organization asked them to put their International weight with her group to remove all horses from the ring. Instead...they just implemented the old law of giving them padding.

http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/features/bullfighting.shtml

But bulls are not the only creatures to suffer in bullrings. The tormented bull does not understand that it is the man on the horse's back that is causing his pain, only that he is in agony. He therefore sees the horse as his enemy as much as the man.
    It's not unusual for horses used in bullfights to be so badly gored by the bulls that they have to be killed, but only after they have been dragged from the ring and the view of the spectators

HSUS has always muttered something about culture etc..meaning they are afraid to attack a Mediterranian culture but they have no problems attacking North American and European cultures for much less.

Read and view the pictures in the link and know that HSUS will fight slaughter with little no suffering while keeping quiet over a gruesome painful and long death.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    The Hemmingway Papers...Bullfighting is not a sport, it is a tragedy deals with the number (6000) horses per year. Although they COULD use padding they did not and definitely NOT at Seville. We were there early 70's and went to the ring and NONE of the horses were padded. The horse was always dragged out of the ring before the bull as a sign of respect for the bull...

HSUS was approached by the Countess Belecazar ( a world renowned Arabian Horse breeder).

Her organization asked them to put their International weight with her group to remove all horses from the ring. Instead...they just implemented the old law of giving them padding.

http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/features/bullfighting.shtml

But bulls are not the only creatures to suffer in bullrings. The tormented bull does not understand that it is the man on the horse's back that is causing his pain, only that he is in agony. He therefore sees the horse as his enemy as much as the man.
    It's not unusual for horses used in bullfights to be so badly gored by the bulls that they have to be killed, but only after they have been dragged from the ring and the view of the spectators

HSUS has always muttered something about culture etc..meaning they are afraid to attack a Mediterranian culture but they have no problems attacking North American and European cultures for much less.

Read and view the pictures in the link and know that HSUS will fight slaughter with little no suffering while keeping quiet over a gruesome painful and long death.
    So you are for banning fighting bulls on horseback. I guess that makes you an RARA, since you want to ban something.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    So you are for banning fighting bulls on horseback. I guess that makes you an RARA, since you want to ban something.
    And you know what the next step will be if the ban is allowed to happen!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

3 members found this post helpful.

Well I'll be danged

I guess you must be right

I am a rara who supports slaughter because at its worst, the horse might suffer for 60 seconds.

You, both of you, are rara's who support horses gored to death..sometimes lying in the ring in agony for 15 minutes or so..or you want the same horse used over and over and over until she dies of a heart attack.

I guess I am a DIFFERENT type of rara than you.

I am against cruelty where both of you support it.

Thank you for showing all of us who you are and where you stand.

JetsMom quote: So you are for banning fighting bulls on horseback. I guess that makes you an RARA, since you want to ban something.

Jenms enlightening agreement: And you know what the next step will be if the ban is allowed to happen

Thanks for sharing your true nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Well I'll be danged

I guess you must be right

I am a rara who supports slaughter because at its worst, the horse might suffer for 60 seconds.

You, both of you, are rara's who support horses gored to death..sometimes lying in the ring in agony for 15 minutes or so..or you want the same horse used over and over and over until she dies of a heart attack.

I guess I am a DIFFERENT type of rara than you.

I am against cruelty where both of you support it.

Thank you for showing all of us who you are and where you stand.

JetsMom quote: So you are for banning fighting bulls on horseback. I guess that makes you an RARA, since you want to ban something.

Jenms enlightening agreement: And you know what the next step will be if the ban is allowed to happen

Thanks for sharing your true nature.
    Actually I would support banning bullfighting, whether on horseback or on foot. I don't like to see animals tortured and killed for entertainment. Unfortunately the pro slaughter posters all seem to feel that banning things like that, whether it is bullfighting from horseback, horse tripping, dogfighting etc, is wrong, and makes one an RARA.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Actually I would support banning bullfighting, whether on horseback or on foot. I don't like to see animals tortured and killed for entertainment. Unfortunately the pro slaughter posters all seem to feel that banning things like that, whether it is bullfighting from horseback, horse tripping, dogfighting etc, is wrong, and makes one an RARA.
    Not to mention a slippery slope.
    I mean, ban bull fights and what's next? No pony rides at the fair?
    Every use of animals will be in jeopardy!

ETA of course I am for banning bull fights. While I understand it's part of the tradition in some nations, I am a firm believe in the mantra 'when we know better, we do better' and we know better than to torture animals like that.
    Or most of us do anyway.

9 members found this post helpful.

Angela..check with your bosses at HSUS. Don't they still have Michael Vick of dog fighting "fame" speaking on their behalf. Wayne was positively glowing with endearments as he stated Michael would be a wonderful dog owner.

Remember how he took that pitbull bitch and had them break her front legs and toss her into the pit to be torn apart because she was a chicken?

I know I know..he is your idol and that is why you don't mention him

Difference ladies...Pro equine slaughter are not for abuse. Slaughter is NOT abusive and yes, things do go wrong...but the numbers of double bolts or problems were usually one in ten thousand where bull fights, cock fights, dog fights are 100 torture to the end...DEATH...and the bodies are tossed into a pit.

HSUS Wayne and woman (wife) do not bother to attack spain...they vacation there with the owner of the tee shirt manufacture in the Phillipines (the shirts are made for HSUS). The sun is lovely in Ibiza

Here's a photo gallery of some of the gorgeous horses supposedly headed for slaughter thanks to the economy:

http://photos.denverpost.com/2013/04...isis-photos/#1

Yes, Angelina Fredarina's boss and puppetmaster, Wayne has given Mikey a brand new pitbull! Wayne never meant to remove Mikey's entertainment or his ability to show his children how to make a few bucks.
    It is both shocking and sad to see that Analise, Angela and their sisters support the killing of horses in bullfights. True raras.

The mark of zealots, fanatics for their causes, they will defend even the indefensible at any cost, here the HSUS and the Vick connection.

Honestly, after what that man did, why would any decent human think it is good PR to put him on display for your cause?
    Only another a twisted mind could think that makes any sense:

http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=6510

Where did I ever say I supported the killing of horses in bullfights. All I did was say it looked like the padding of horses in bullfights was made law in Spain decades before there was an HSUS and linked to some resources stating it.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I have a hard time wrapping my bead around people wanting to pay big bucks to import these horses when there are so many in the US that need homes and groceries. The transport, import, and quarantine fees for one horse is in the thousands of dollars, yet sometimes only a few dollars and a little work will save a horse in your own county.
    ~ Shannon Hayden ~