The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default saddles again?

I have been making the switch to dressage in my CC saddle. I have decided that it would be better for me to have a dressage saddle. Our horse has a flatter back and average withers. Any suggestions of nice saddles at a reasonable price. Used would be optimal
    My CC saddle has more banana shaped panels that no longer fit him...
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Wintec, Bates, Kent & Masters, M Toulouse all fit a fairly flat back, all of those have gullets that can be changed. M Toulouse with the adjustable gullet are going to be more expensive. Thorowgood T8 will fit a fairly flat back, has changeable gullet and is just under $1000, its a mix of leather and synthetic.

For the flat back, a Duett is a nice choice at a reasonable price.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I would go to a local tack shop and see if they will let you try the consignment (or new) saddles. Then you can get a feel for what you do and don't like in a saddle. Also I would also contact your local saddle fitter, they will be able to tell you if the saddle fits the horse and you. In the long run this really is cheaper than buying new saddles and expensive corrective saddle pads to fix problems.